Opinion Commentary & Media IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought this fable of Buckley on Carey had been put to bed? Or at least discussed recently on one of our threads.

I think it was 1996, Duck flew out of the stalls and kicked 2 goals before Tony Shaw put Buckley on him and Duck kicked a single goal from the rest of the match. It paid off and it certainly would have caught Pagan off guard. North had Longmire missing and Daniltchenko & Lissenden where the very green KPF supports, so they could place a lot of attention on Carey.

It didn't help them the following season in the return bout when Carey had 23 disposals, 14 marks and kicked 3.4 as North won by 52 points. Longmire played and kicked 7.3.

I think it was 1996, Duck flew out of the stalls and kicked 2 goals before Tony Shaw put Buckley on him and Duck kicked a single goal from the rest of the match. It paid off and it certainly would have caught Pagan off guard. North had Longmire missing and Daniltchenko & Lissenden where the very green KPF supports, so they could place a lot of attention on Carey.

It didn't help them the following season in the return bout when Carey had 23 disposals, 14 marks and kicked 3.4 as North won by 52 points. Longmire played and kicked 7.3.

Hmm without going to the tape my recollection:

1996 - Stevens late withdrawal, Collingwood 10 goal upset. Can't recall Buckley as such

1997 - Horse wasn't that much chop in 97, think pies beat us (Princess Di death announced during game?)

1995 - pretty sure Horse 7 goals, Carey a5 goals in 50 odd win. That might be the game you recall?

Hawthorn's financial soundness is under threat with the club being forced to put off a deal to extend its controversial contract with the Tasmanian Government.

The club has been selling home games to the Apple Isle for many years, denying its long-suffering supporters the opportunity to see them play as often as they would like.

It is a further blow to the financial viability of the club, which has been forced to seek assistance from the AFL, after HQ accessed a $250m line of credit from ANZ and NAB.

The club has been required to open its books to the AFL under what has been likened to a receivership model.

The blow from Tasmania comes as the cash-strapped club has been forced to delay a planned move to a new headquarters in Dingley, instead staying at Waverley, where training occurs in a public park and under the eyes of residents in surrounding apartment buildings.

Dingley would be the club's third home ground this century, having previously been based in Glenferrie, before chasing the money in a so-called growth area of Melbourne.

The Hawks, who are currently suffering from one of their longest premiership droughts in generations, have been propped up by pokies, ignoring severe public pressure because of the way pokies help to cause gambling addiction.

North Melbourne - with millions of dollars in profits in the last decade - took the lead in getting out of pokies many years ago, acknowledging the way it destroys lives, particularly of the already vulnerable members of the community. But Hawthorn signed a new contract in late 2018.

Pokies venues are currently closed in Victoria as a result of the COVID 19 pandemic, a further blow to Hawthorn's financial viability.
Powerhouse my arse. Should have merged with GoDees in ‘96. How fitting that they’re moving to a training facility in a place known primarily for its dumping ground. Hawf are as likely to open their books up as a politician being honest. Just ask Don Scott about their secret Tasmanian bank account used to pay people over the salary cap.

Why? He is correct. We will be under enormous scrutiny and are one of the more vulnerable clubs. The Tassy push will develop over the next two years - its already started. This will never go away unless we are 100% self sufficient and I don't see that happening in the immediate future. Be alert, not alarmed.
JFC you’re tiresome

I get that they've gotta come up with content for the channel....but I'm not overly enthusiastic for the LIVE calling of past games on Fox Footy. I tried watching one of the games but I couldn't digest the fake enthusiasm for a result you already know.

Fox Footy has a giant data base of every game....why not just have a red button option that allows you to watch your team's finals victories.

It's a good thing the season will be back soon.

I get that they've gotta come up with content for the channel....but I'm not overly enthusiastic for the LIVE calling of past games on Fox Footy. I tried watching one of the games but I couldn't digest the fake enthusiasm for a result you already know.

Fox Footy has a giant data base of every game....why not just have a red button option that allows you to watch your team's finals victories.

They have justify paying these clowns salaries.

On the wireless the other morning a chap rang about Poxtel and old games. Pox don't have a huge back catalogue apparently due to copyright / infringement type regulations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I stand corrected.

All sweet mate 👍 You want some really old games there are some finals from the late 60's early 70's going around on you-tube. Mostly b&w and none featuring North, but good to watch. Tough hard footy, huge MCG crowds with floggers and streamers, goal squares covered in paper. Skills not flash but commentary fantastic.

Pretty sure Carey had only just come back after a long lay off from a shoulder injury, maybe that week or the week before.
(Somebody should check that out)
Remember that fig jam was interviewed in one of the papers that week and was crowing about how to beat Carey. Collingwood tried it again the next year and Carey ripped him a new one.
no interview that week.

WTF?????? An article on moving an AFL team to Tassie that doesn’t mention NMFC. Aren’t we good enough for them? I suppose technically he is talking about one club in to replace one club out rather than relocation.

It is strategically brilliant for us on two front:

1) He's specifically mentioning the Golden Children and suggesting they've been failures. AFL won't like that one bit.

2) "Debt riddled St Kilda".

We didn't get mentioned and the Saints appear to be first line in the shambles stakes.

It is strategically brilliant for us on two front:

1) He's specifically mentioning the Golden Children and suggesting they've been failures. AFL won't like that one bit.

2) "Debt riddled St Kilda".

We didn't get mentioned and the Saints appear to be first line in the shambles stakes.

Wouldn't want to see the Saints forced dwon that road.

We would hate it, and their followers would too.

**** the AFL, keep all the clubs here in Victoria that want to be here.

No more Fitzroy or Swans.

Wouldn't want to see the Saints forced dwon that road.

We would hate it, and their followers would too.

fu** the AFL, keep all the clubs here in Victoria that want to be here.

No more Fitzroy or Swans.

Agree entirely but of someone is pushed out, them not us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back