Opinion Commentary & Media VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do the players need to adjust though?

AFL is a sport of split second decisions at every contest. You'll have the ball and then literally a second later it's been given up and you need to make a last ditch effort which could have repercussions now.

They are literally ruining what made this game great. It's a contact sport. If you're scared of being concussed or concerned about player welfare then don't play the ****ing game. Tough luck. It's not for you.

Why do the players need to adjust though?

AFL is a sport of split second decisions at every contest. You'll have the ball and then literally a second later it's been given up and you need to make a last ditch effort which could have repercussions now.

They are literally ruining what made this game great. It's a contact sport. If you're scared of being concussed or concerned about player welfare then don't play the ****ing game. Tough luck. It's not for you.

**** yes. No one is forcing them to play. I don’t know why they can’t sign waivers like they do in other sports.

**** yes. No one is forcing them to play. I don’t know why they can’t sign waivers like they do in other sports.

“I want to be a professional skier but I need to be guaranteed that I’ll never ever crash”

“Maybe try another sport, son”
Wipe Out Lol GIF by Outside TV

It resolves all the issues currently happening.

Contact sports have risks associated. You could get hit at any moment.

In saying that, getting bumped high I totally understand the consequences. In a non-sling tackle outside of the player's control? The turf is rock hard because AFL wants it fast but then they punish the player tackling if the player being tackled hits their head.

Onya AFL. Just give them a waiver when they're 18 and drafted!

Using Hodge's logic Aidan Corr is still learning not to pull a player to the ground or not do something brain-dead dumb.

He's only 30 though so there's clearly some learning yet to happen. Awesome argument.

People forget AFL players get paid so well, is because they are prepared to take these risks.

Nowadays, they still want the pay but they dont want to take risks.

It's like going for a job with Victoria Police and making it clear you are not prepared to deal with "bad guys".

We’ve come a long way, something like 30 suspensions for head-highs this time last year down to 7 this year, combined with the careful management of players for post-footy (eg Brayshaw) which wouldn’t have happened back in the day.

But enough now. Can’t legislate incidental contact out. (Well, you can, but it won’t be the same game anymore)

It resolves all the issues currently happening.

Contact sports have risks associated. You could get hit at any moment.

In saying that, getting bumped high I totally understand the consequences. In a non-sling tackle outside of the player's control? The turf is rock hard because AFL wants it fast but then they punish the player tackling if the player being tackled hits their head.

Onya AFL. Just give them a waiver when they're 18 and drafted!
This was where Corbin middlemas got her in the gun and nailed her.

You cannot stop concussions, every single litigation has been around the handling and process post concussion, not the fact that they are concussed

Using Hodge's logic Aidan Corr is still learning not to pull a player to the ground or not do something brain-dead dumb.

He's only 30 though so there's clearly some learning yet to happen. Awesome argument.

Using Hodge's logic there isn't an AFL footballer who should be criticised ever again because, y'know, we're all learning.

You're the big money free agent who's there as the last line in defence, and the last ingredient in the build, play like that and are immune from criticism?

I can only assume that Hodge, like everyone else, is gunning for Essendon to fail.

People forget AFL players get paid so well, is because they are prepared to take these risks.

It's like going for a job with Victoria Police and making it clear you are not prepared to deal with "bad guys".

The risks don't mean the AFL doesn't have a responsibility to provide a safe work environment though. They're probably not getting the balance right at the moment but we also know a lot more about the effects of head knocks and concussions than we did even 5-10 years ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kingy was pretty good calling out magoo on crunch time this morning, strangely Luke Hodge was defending him and *, and sure i heard Kingy say he would have some good vision on First Crack tomorrow night, i like that show.
McKay's a ****ing potato. Beyond me how anyone could defend the shit he's dished up.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

“I want to be a professional skier but I need to be guaranteed that I’ll never ever crash”

“Maybe try another sport, son”
Wipe Out Lol GIF by Outside TV

…umm yeh well there’s a team of downhill skiers out at Tullamarine and do they sign waivers?

Hawks beat Collingwood
Dogs beat Cats

We * cracks fingers * might beat the Blues

But don’t Police get their last pay packet as Super for the rest of their lives?

AFL players don’t and not all of them go on to be superstars and make a high income wage into a potential high cost medical care managing concussion side affects

That guy from Collingwood that retired last week won’t make a mint

And safety should be still a focus in any sport that has risk of death or serious injury

Race cars haven’t stopped being improved for safety. Hamilton would be dead today without the Halo as to Grojesan.

But don’t Police get their last pay packet as Super for the rest of their lives?

AFL players don’t and not all of them go on to be superstars and make a high income wage into a potential high cost medical care managing concussion side affects

That guy from Collingwood that retired last week won’t make a mint

And safety should be still a focus in any sport that has risk of death or serious injury

Race cars haven’t stopped being improved for safety. Hamilton would be dead today without the Halo as to Grojesan.
And if we want to make sky diving a safer activity, why don't they jump out of the plane before it takes off?

The game comes with risks. If you want to play the game, you need to accept there are risks.

IMO, in the heat of battle. In a grand final, 5 minutes to go, to expect a defender to tackle to prevent a goal, but do it in a way which is safe and doesnt cause the oppponents head to hit the ground and get concussed, is unrealistic.

Why? Because contests are split second events and you cant expect, say Archer, to tackle hard and prevent the goal, but do it in a way which is "safe". How can Archer do this in a split second when he is tackling?

The game has risks. You don't like the risk of getting hurt, don't play the game.

And it's the split second contests, that make the game great and what the fans love.

And if we want to make sky diving a safer activity, why don't they jump out of the plane before it takes off?

The game comes with risks. If you want to play the game, you need to accept there are risks.

IMO, in the heat of battle. In a grand final, 5 minutes to go, to expect a defender to tackle to prevent a goal, but do it in a way which is safe and doesnt cause the oppponents head to hit the ground and get concussed, is unrealistic.

Why? Because contests are split second events and you cant expect, say Archer, to tackle hard and prevent the goal, but do it in a way which is "safe". How can Archer do this in a split second when he is tackling?

The game has risks. You don't like the risk of getting hurt, don't play the game.

And it's the split second contests, that make the game great and what the fans love.

Parachuting?

I believe there is a Reserve Parachute

Your more likely to die in the Plane Crashing

But that’s been made safer with technology as well

Society works towards risk reduction

Was hoping for a McDonald shot after the siren there! Back to spudding it up after playing his gf against the team that snubbed him in the draft.
Also, in 2024 we can't get a TV camera to deal with stadia shadows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back