Opinion Commentary & Media VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hodge was good, telling Kane to 'admit he was wrong' about some of the stuff he'd said earlier this year about North & Clarkson (I missed most of it)
There are, broadly speaking, two types of footy commentators/journalists. The first group address the “here and now” and explain how we got to where we are. That’s always quite easy and, basically, you can never be “wrong” - at least, you never have to admit it. The vast majority of Foxtel and commercial TV commentators fall into this category. The second type looks to the future and tries to understand what’s actually going on. Rick18 is, obviously, this type of commentator. There’s not going to be as many “clicks” available in this category. That’s why most commentators tend towards the first category. The First Crack guys are the closest we have to a balance between both categories. Hodge is the same. He tends to look for the opportunities for improvement rather than focusing on the obvious - losing means bad, winning means good. Cornes is very much in category one, with a fair dollop of playing favourites into the bargain.

There are, broadly speaking, two types of footy commentators/journalists. The first group address the “here and now” and explain how we got to where we are. That’s always quite easy and, basically, you can never be “wrong” - at least, you never have to admit it. The vast majority of Foxtel and commercial TV commentators fall into this category. The second type looks to the future and tries to understand what’s actually going on. Rick18 is, obviously, this type of commentator. There’s not going to be as many “clicks” available in this category. That’s why most commentators tend towards the first category. The First Crack guys are the closest we have to a balance between both categories. Hodge is the same. He tends to look for the opportunities for improvement rather than focusing on the obvious - losing means bad, winning means good. Cornes is very much in category one, with a fair dollop of playing favourites into the bargain.
It makes sense that Hodge is this type having gone through two rebuilds at Hawthorn and one at Brisbane. And also copping a lot in his early career for indifferent performances compared to Judd.

It does,
Does anyone itk know what actually happened during the bye besides Clarko opening up a bit about the hawthorn saga. It feels like they must have done something for things to change so significantly
Obviously, it feels different this year and we’re not going to delist very experienced strong players at the end of the season. However, last year we had a similar uptick after the bye as well. The proof will be in the pudding and that particular pudding is in R1/2/3//4 in 2025.

Last edited:
FMD. Cornes’ 7-win prediction for us should be pretty easy to fact check.
My memory was he predicted nine wins. It was a ridiculous suggestion, and it was designed to let him criticise us if we had a 4-5 win year, which was what most people thought possible.

My memory was he predicted nine wins. It was a ridiculous suggestion, and it was designed to let him criticise us if we had a 4-5 win year, which was what most people thought possible.
Would not surprise.

This is the same moron backing Hinkley while sinking the boots into various premiership coaches.

It does,

Obviously, it feels different this year and we’re not going to delist very experienced strong players at the end of the season. However, last year we had a similar uptick after the bye as well. The proof will be in the pudding and that particular pudding is in R1/2/3//4 in 2025.
Having said that, I’ve checked last year again. We appear to have improved around R8 for a while. Then, we dipped again after the bye for a few rounds before becoming very competitive from R19 on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What they got right & wrong: The wins & woes from Round 17 -

Letting McKercher flourish at half-back

North Melbourne has found great success starting their young future stars at half-back, with Harry Sheezel flourishing there last year.

Colby McKercher has moved into that role in 2024 and had the best game of his early career on the weekend.

He found 37 disposals, had 666 metres gained and provided some incredible run and carry for the Roos.

Even with Zac Fisher set to return to the side, McKercher should continue to be trusted as the primary rebound defender for the rest of the year.

Even with Zac Fisher set to return to the side, McKercher should continue to be trusted as the primary rebound defender for the rest of the year.
I'm not sure there's room for both Colby and Fish in our side, if we can only play one of them I'd be persisting wth Colby

Nostra has left the chat
Go Away Do Not Want GIF

Can I make a suggestion?

giantroo needs to have his own sub forum where he can place his videos, articles etc. in a separate thread for each round. Too many of them get lost in these super large threads and it's impossible to locate them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back