Opinion Commentary & Media VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Article from the west is winning cam a lot of friends on the Freo board.
IMG_20240809_172419.jpg

“I hated them (as a kid). I was a Freo man growing up so I never really liked West Coast. Still don’t.”

While I am here I just wanted to give a shoutout to my favourite nonfreo game. North beat West Coast in Perth on a wet night. Stephenson had 35 touches or so. Man that was a great game.

I don’t mind it. Need personality back in footy.
And if West Coast are needing some player giving them lip as some kind of motivation for this week, then they are double plus super ultra cooked.

By all rights that should have had this game circled in the book for months as a good opportunity for a win.

Don't shit on underdogs before you play them. It basic sports headology.

Don’t shit on any oppo is the rule.

If the eagles play better because a player said he didn’t like them growing up and he still doesn’t, then they need to have a look at themselves because they’ve been playing without pride all year.

Don’t shit on any oppo is the rule.

If the eagles play better because a player said he didn’t like them growing up and he still doesn’t, then they need to have a look at themselves because they’ve been playing without pride all year.
Think they need a good look at themselves anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

COLLINGWOOD coach Craig McRae was left seething by the decision not to award Daniel McStay a critical 50m penalty in the dying stages against Sydney, after his side had let a match-winning lead slip at the SCG.

Still reeling from the non-call post-match, the Magpies coach said "it would have been paid" had it been at the MCG, while he described the number of insufficient intent calls in the game as "a bit of a circus".

SWANS v MAGPIES Full match coverage and stats

Collingwood led by as much as 27 points in the final term until the Swans stormed home with the last five goals of the match to snatch a three-point victory on Friday night that all but ended the reigning premiers' finals hopes.

Errol Gulden booted a goal to put the Swans in front with four minutes remaining, but the Pies made one last surge as McStay marked just inside the centre square with 40 seconds left on the clock.

Swans defender Tom McCartin trailed behind the hard-leading McStay and ran several metres over the mark, but was fortunate to avoid a costly penalty when only taking a few steps back.

OsZHsYzI.jpg

03:06
10 hrs

Last two mins: Incredible late surge sees Swans overrun Magpies​

The thrilling final moments between Sydney and Collingwood in round 22
"I reckon if it was at the MCG, it would have been paid. There's definitely an advantage for the home ground," McRae said.

"I thought it was a 50m penalty, to the letter of the law. I'm sure the AFL will come out and say it's a free kick or 50m penalty.

"There was a lot of deliberate (insufficient intent to keep the football in play) tonight too. That was a bit of a circus. So I'm sure they'll come out and justify that too. But the umpires don't always get it right."

NnEhBcbV.jpg

07:10
9 hrs

Highlights: Sydney v Collingwood​

The Swans and Magpies clash in round 22
The Magpies had a third consecutive victory to keep them in touch with the top eight within their grasp, before the Swans took control in the midfield.

MATCH REPORT
Swans come from the clouds to snuff out Pies' flag defence

Isaac Heeney and Chad Warner had come under fire as the ladder-leading Swans slumped to five defeats in their six previous matches, but stepped up in the final term to turn the game against the Pies.

948Ly7eR.jpg

01:37
9 hrs

Heeney heroics spark last gasp Swansong​

Isaac Heeney helps lift his side up off the canvas in a final quarter to remember
The gun onballers each had 14 disposals and booted a goal in the final term, as the Magpies suffered their narrowest defeat since losing to the Swans at the same venue in a 2022 preliminary final.

The three-point loss was also the first time the Magpies have lost by under a goal this season, after winning five games decided by less than a kick including in an after-the-siren thriller against the Blues last week, and have been part of a pair of mid-season draws.

"Isaac Heeney, he was pretty special, wasn't he? He was amazing, I don't think I'd seen a player impact a game like that in a quarter. Unbelievable," McRae said about how the game changed.

"I think the game's probably harder than ever to maintain a lead. We're having to go through that in the last couple of weeks of being in a position to win the game, and then having to hold on.

"I'm just reflecting myself now, without the vision in front of me, but thinking maybe the method's not the right one."

ZYL8kDgx.jpg

08:48
8 hrs

Full post-match, R22: Magpies​

Watch Collingwood’s press conference after round 22’s match against Sydney
Sydney bounced back from a crushing 112-point defeat to Port Adelaide last week to claim a win that ensures it will hold on to top spot as it has done since round seven.

The Swans showed glimpses of their best form as they opened up the Magpies with blistering ball movement when the match was on the line, and could now ensure they host two finals with at least one win in the final two rounds.

"Really proud of what the players were able to do," Swans coach John Longmire said.

"Sometimes you just need to find a way, and that last quarter was as good a last quarter as I've seen, considering the situation and being able to turn it around and do what we were able to do.

"There's some huge efforts in the last term and Chad and Isaac, their contest, the amount of contests that we won, the 50-50 balls ... it's probably a bit unfair to single out a couple, there was an enormous across the board effort in that last quarter."

1U2382p7.jpg

10:01
8 hrs

Full post-match, R22: Swans​

Watch Sydney’s press conference after round 22’s match against Collingwood

ALL THE HIGHLIGHTS​

• Full post-match, R22: Swans

AFL
    AFL
  • Full post-match, R22: Magpies

AFL
    AFL

• 07:10

AFL
    AFL

• 01:37

Isaac Heeney helps lift his side up off the canvas in a final quarter to remember
    AFL
    AFL

• 03:06

AFL
    AFL

• 00:37

Gulden leans on trusty left to set stadium alight​

Errol Gulden lands the knockout blow as Swans come home with a wet sail
    AFL
    AFL

• 00:50

Warner wizardry electrifies SCG with epic strike​

Chad Warner nails a sensational snap on the burst as Sydney comes charging home
    AFL
    AFL

• 00:41

Hill's persistence pays off after fancy footwork​

Bobby Hill dances his way through traffic to jam home another from the top of the square
    AFL
    AFL

Livewire Lipinski lifts Pies early in third term​

Patrick Lipinski lands a cracking goal after a sloppy clearance from Brodie Grundy
    AFL
    AFL

• 00:23

Schultz in hot water after dump tackle leaves Heeney dazed​

Lachie Schultz may have a case to answer for his treatment on Isaac Heeney late in the first term
    AFL
    AFL

Bytel's soccer beauty catches the eye​

Jack Bytel gets crafty in the goal square and finishes in style
    AFL
    AFL

• 00:30

Tagger Jordon flips script on Daicos assignment​

James Jordon claims a clever goal for the Swans despite being tasked with nullifying Nick Daicos
    AFL
    AFL
You weren't complaining when 2 of your guys ran over the mark against us.... eat a dick mate!!!

COLLINGWOOD coach Craig McRae was left seething by the decision not to award Daniel McStay a critical 50m penalty in the dying stages against Sydney, after his side had let a match-winning lead slip at the SCG.

Still reeling from the non-call post-match, the Magpies coach said "it would have been paid" had it been at the MCG, while he described the number of insufficient intent calls in the game as "a bit of a circus".

SWANS v MAGPIES Full match coverage and stats

Collingwood led by as much as 27 points in the final term until the Swans stormed home with the last five goals of the match to snatch a three-point victory on Friday night that all but ended the reigning premiers' finals hopes.

Errol Gulden booted a goal to put the Swans in front with four minutes remaining, but the Pies made one last surge as McStay marked just inside the centre square with 40 seconds left on the clock.

Swans defender Tom McCartin trailed behind the hard-leading McStay and ran several metres over the mark, but was fortunate to avoid a costly penalty when only taking a few steps back.

OsZHsYzI.jpg

03:06
10 hrs

"I reckon if it was at the MCG, it would have been paid. There's definitely an advantage for the home ground," McRae said.

"I thought it was a 50m penalty, to the letter of the law. I'm sure the AFL will come out and say it's a free kick or 50m penalty.

"There was a lot of deliberate (insufficient intent to keep the football in play) tonight too. That was a bit of a circus. So I'm sure they'll come out and justify that too. But the umpires don't always get it right."

NnEhBcbV.jpg

07:10
9 hrs

The Magpies had a third consecutive victory to keep them in touch with the top eight within their grasp, before the Swans took control in the midfield.

MATCH REPORT
Swans come from the clouds to snuff out Pies' flag defence
Isaac Heeney and Chad Warner had come under fire as the ladder-leading Swans slumped to five defeats in their six previous matches, but stepped up in the final term to turn the game against the Pies.

948Ly7eR.jpg

01:37
9 hrs

The gun onballers each had 14 disposals and booted a goal in the final term, as the Magpies suffered their narrowest defeat since losing to the Swans at the same venue in a 2022 preliminary final.

The three-point loss was also the first time the Magpies have lost by under a goal this season, after winning five games decided by less than a kick including in an after-the-siren thriller against the Blues last week, and have been part of a pair of mid-season draws.

"Isaac Heeney, he was pretty special, wasn't he? He was amazing, I don't think I'd seen a player impact a game like that in a quarter. Unbelievable," McRae said about how the game changed.

"I think the game's probably harder than ever to maintain a lead. We're having to go through that in the last couple of weeks of being in a position to win the game, and then having to hold on.

"I'm just reflecting myself now, without the vision in front of me, but thinking maybe the method's not the right one."

ZYL8kDgx.jpg

8 hrs

Sydney bounced back from a crushing 112-point defeat to Port Adelaide last week to claim a win that ensures it will hold on to top spot as it has done since round seven.

The Swans showed glimpses of their best form as they opened up the Magpies with blistering ball movement when the match was on the line, and could now ensure they host two finals with at least one win in the final two rounds.

"Really proud of what the players were able to do," Swans coach John Longmire said.

"Sometimes you just need to find a way, and that last quarter was as good a last quarter as I've seen, considering the situation and being able to turn it around and do what we were able to do.

"There's some huge efforts in the last term and Chad and Isaac, their contest, the amount of contests that we won, the 50-50 balls ... it's probably a bit unfair to single out a couple, there was an enormous across the board effort in that last quarter."

1U2382p7.jpg

8 hrs

ALL THE HIGHLIGHTS​

• Full post-match, R22: Swans

AFL
    AFL
  • Full post-match, R22: Magpies

AFL
    AFL

• 07:10

AFL
    AFL

• 01:37

AFL
    AFL

• 03:06

AFL
    AFL

Gulden leans on trusty left to set stadium alight​

Errol Gulden lands the knockout blow as Swans come home with a wet sail
    AFL
    AFL

• 00:50

Warner wizardry electrifies SCG with epic strike​

Chad Warner nails a sensational snap on the burst as Sydney comes charging home
    AFL
    AFL

• 00:41

Hill's persistence pays off after fancy footwork​

Bobby Hill dances his way through traffic to jam home another from the top of the square
    AFL
    AFL

Livewire Lipinski lifts Pies early in third term​

Patrick Lipinski lands a cracking goal after a sloppy clearance from Brodie Grundy
    AFL
    AFL

• 00:23

Schultz in hot water after dump tackle leaves Heeney dazed​

Lachie Schultz may have a case to answer for his treatment on Isaac Heeney late in the first term
    AFL
    AFL

Bytel's soccer beauty catches the eye​

Jack Bytel gets crafty in the goal square and finishes in style
    AFL
    AFL

• 00:30

Tagger Jordon flips script on Daicos assignment​

James Jordon claims a clever goal for the Swans despite being tasked with nullifying Nick Daicos
    AFL
    AFL
You weren't complaining when 2 of your guys ran over the mark against us.... eat a dick mate!!!

The umpires giveth, the umpires take away.

The glaring discrepancy between Richmond and North Melbourne -

There is a glaring discrepancy between North Melbourne and Richmond.

It centres around the AFL Coaches’ Association Champion Player of the Year voting for season 2024 and the age demographic of both sides.

So far this season the Kangaroos have had 13 different players poll coaches votes while the bottom-of-the-ladder Tigers have had 12.

Of North’s 13 vote getters, the eldest is Aidan Corr at 30 and youngest is Harry Sheezel and Colby McKercher at 19. The average age is 23.5.

Of Richmond’s 12 vote getters, the eldest is Dustin Martin (now retired) at 33 and youngest are Ben Miller and Noah Balta (24 going on 25). The average age is 27.8.

Footy great Malcolm Blight believes these numbers are damning for Adem Yze’s Tigers who are well and truly in rebuild mode.

“North Melbourne have had 13 players who have received votes so far this year,” Blight said on SEN’s Sportsday SA.

“Richmond have had 12, but I can guarantee you now that the age of the Richmond list would be twice the age of the North Melbourne list.

His co-host David Wildy: “There’s 10 premiership players that have got votes, there’s not one kid.

“Harry Sheezel has got 44 votes and he’s only 19 still. Then there’s George Wardlaw, Colby McKercher, Charlie Comben, Tom Powell.

“Zane Duursma and Will Phillips haven’t figured but they’ve all been good kids.”

Blight added: “Jackson Archer has won the Rising Star. So he’s another one.

“I’ve counted up about seven of them and none for Richmond.

“Like most teams who have that great run, like the great Brisbane teams… we’ve seen it all happen before.

“I can’t see Richmond getting out of this between for five and seven years, a bit like North Melbourne and Adelaide are doing right now.”

The coaches votes are clearly not the be-all and end-all but it is a decent guide as to where each list might be at.

The 22under22 squad named by the AFLPA this week also tells a tale.

North had five players included in the 40-player squad - Harry Sheezel, George Wardlaw, Tom Powell, Paul Curtis and Colby McKercher - which was the most of any team.

The Tigers had none. Damning for a side at the start of their rebuild.

When the two clubs met last weekend, North ran out 13-point winners despite having an average age of 24 to Richmond’s 26 years and one month. The Roos’ side averaged 72.5 games, while the Tigers averaged 114.5.

North had 10 players with less than 50 games of experience. Richmond had just seven.

Yes, only one spot separates these two clubs on the ladder but it feels like the Roos are more advanced than and tracking ahead of the Tigers.

It is understandable to a point considering North’s rebuild has been going for longer and the kids have had more experience than those at the Tigers who waited in the wings during the premiership era.

Should Richmond load up in the next couple of drafts to stockpile a group of youngsters? It might be the way to go given the Tasmanian team is entering the league in 2028.

For North fans, there is definitely enough to be excited about with a talented group of youngsters all playing together frequently and building a strong foundation for the future.

North Melbourne’s 2024 coaches votes pollers​

(In descending age order)

Aidan Corr (30)
Nick Larkey (26)
Cam Zurhaar (26)
Jy Simpkin (26)
Luke Davies-Uniacke (25)
Tristan Xerri (25)
Bailey Scott (24)
Charlie Comben (23)
Tom Powell (22)
Jackson Archer (21)
George Wardlaw (20)
Harry Sheezel (19)
Colby McKercher (19)

Average age: 23.5

Richmond’s 2024 coaches votes pollers​

Dustin Martin (33)
Dion Prestia (31)
Nathan Broad (31)
Nick Vlastuin (30)
Toby Nankervis (29)
Jayden Short (28)
Daniel Rioli (27)
Liam Baker (26)
Tim Taranto (26)
Shai Bolton (25)
Ben Miller (24)
Noah Balta (24)

Average age: 27.8

The obvious caveat is that Richmond have won three flags in the last seven years whilst we have rebuilt 58589262 times.
We'll just push that little stat to the side...

They probably could have accepted their reality a couple of years ago. Topping up has backfired spectacularly. But, I reckon as a supporter, I'd comfort myself with 3 flags in 4 years. If not for a one off Mason Cox performance it could have been 4 in 4.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

We'll just push that little stat to the side...

They probably could have accepted their reality a couple of years ago. Topping up has backfired spectacularly. But, I reckon as a supporter, I'd comfort myself with 3 flags in 4 years. If not for a one off Mason Cox performance it could have been 4 in 4.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
Yep.

Huge error with Hopper and Taranto in hindsight.

Those two plus Prestia would have to be the worst centre square group by foot in the league.

Yep.

Huge error with Hopper and Taranto in hindsight.

Those two plus Prestia would have to be the worst centre square group by foot in the league.

Shades of the Greenwood/Swallow/Ziebell meat grinder….great contested players but absolute liabilities as soon as the ball exits the stoppage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Commentary & Media VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Back