Opinion Commentary & Media VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I’ll leave this here….but l think it’s pretty universally accepted not only is he a walking contradiction,
But a hack wannabe USA schock jock….

But what makes me cranky, with all the pot shots…including the most recent one above, and granted some heat has been deserved l wanted to scream. ….🤬!!!
I get some will say it’s just Kane ignore..nup fudge it. lm a member and for what fruitcake in a flaming tin are we paying this muppet to be a guest speaker at our preliminary finals lunch on the 20th of this month… when he keeps pulling shite like that…….yeah that’s okay come talk at our event Kane..all’s well…..we don’t mind this…thats all kinds of messed up grr 😖

Maybe lm just tired…maybe l read the Harry post the wrong way… its late…dunno ….it just doesn’t sit right with me… night. 😤

Harry's contract, in hindsight, was silly. Cost himself 100s of thousands maybe.

Harry's contract, in hindsight, was silly. Cost himself 100s of thousands maybe.
Reckon his parents will have been all over it mate, taken the up front and gone investing.

He's going to be the face of the AFL, along with N.Diacos.

Don't worry mums and dads, forget the concussions and the old stereotypes of rough footy blokes who get in punch ups and get on the drink and the drugs, look what we're producing now.

Get your kids out of soccer and into footy.

Be like Harry.

Harry has said that money isn’t his biggest motivator in life.
Interesting that Will Phillips seems to be the same (that's if you believe he got a 2 year offer).

Kane Cornes does himself a grave disservice castigating a Sheezel for signing up to a project out of belief, not money

A grave disservice

Harry has said that money isn’t his biggest motivator in life.
Exactly this, I hate how it is just assumed that he or his manager have messed up by signing a long term deal, and he should have waited so he could hold the club to ransom a few years down the track.

It maybe a foreign concept to those parasites in the media who are all about maximising revenue to themselves and their companies, but maybe he appreciates he is fortunate to be earning hundreds of thousands of dollars more than 99% of people his age playing a game he loves.

While he may have been able to get a little more, he still is unlikely to ever need to worry about money again in his life and maybe his priorities are more focused on getting the most out of his own and his team's footy.

Exactly this, I hate how it is just assumed that he or his manager have messed up by signing a long term deal, and he should have waited so he could hold the club to ransom a few years down the track.

It maybe a foreign concept to those parasites in the media who are all about maximising revenue to themselves and their companies, but maybe he is appreciates he is fortunate to be earning hundreds of thousands of dollars more than 99% of people his age playing a game he loves.

While he may have been able to get a little more, he still is unlikely to ever need to worry about money again in his life and maybe his priorities are more focused on getting the most out of his own and his team's footy.
Someone posted this not long after we drafted him. Don't think he needs to worry about money anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think we played the Brown situation all that well but the idea that he was still in his prime is revising history a bit
yup knees were cooked....45 games in 4 seasons at the dees, out of his 175 total games played. Was lucky to have been in the premiership team. Would have been negligent of our list management to commit to an LT contract on big dough with where our list was at. Sure most took issue of what value we got from a trade perspective but I suspect it reflected what most clubs knew re his durability.

It is not just about winning culture. What they sacrifice with one income stream they in all likelihood make up for with others that are not counted under a cap. Under qualified over employed relatives etc. Managers have been wise to this for ages and that was before we had Cam Joyce out there waving wads of cash around. That perception he created did significant amounts of damage to what we are working our way out of now. It made us a joke.

The only way that we can is to be shrewd. Which in reality means one of two things. You either take that bet on a fringe kid who may make it or you take the bet on a player who has injury clouds.

We have had a few successes on the injury clouds players (W80, Higgo) not so many on the fringe kid side. We have taken a few ok stop gap players.

I am completely all in on Sheez.

He is 19 and he is the face of the club. The first one to do post season media of any description. He speaks like a veteran player. He is respectful about those that have come before him regardless of the dumpster fire that has been created that we are trying to undo.

I am interested to understand some of how his contract came about. I want to believe that he sees himself as the way forward for the club. If he went into his contract discussions with that point of view he is playing 4d chess. By Sheez signing on for as long as he has it gives others a reason to sign on.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is a pretty short road to him being in recruitment conversations with players we target from other clubs.

IMHO if we get things right with Harry we can change club for a generation.
I may be wrong but connecting the dots it came almost immediately after Thomas was shown the door.....almost like, right let's just take his current coin and give it straight to Sheez, all good move on. If so that's a win-win,,,,a lot of money for a 18/19 having played just over 1 season of footy, a massive show of faith from the club, and proved to be very smart by the club as Harry has gone on to repay the faith in spades over the course of the year. Instead of media making snide remarks like that, why not offer praise for a job well done by list management team, and player for loyalty and investing in the club that drafted him and showed belief in him.

Last edited:
I always find the concept of players timing every single contract to extreme financial advantage quizzical.

A player who has their eye on the bottom line to that degree inevitably loses somewhere else and leaves the sport with less.
It's hard to begrudge players for doing it, you only spend so much time in the AFL system.

Free agency certainly has created a lot of opportunity for players to be overpaid, you just have to look at the McKay money last year and now the money Battle is going to get.

Another week, another critique of Dumbo.

Expressing how Vendetta against North. I'll go on the record as saying he's way too bearish on North next year and doesn't understand demographics or development.

North improve next year, injuries allowing. Pin this post C4L vs. Dumbo.

Screenshot_20240906-085428.png

It's also interesting he can shift his focus to West Coasts female program, but can't bare to shift the focus on NMFC to our outstanding successes in AFLW and would rather sink the boot in one more time with his same tired rhetoric.

I'll repeat. What a pathetic c£#!

Screenshot_20240906-085502.png

Another week, another critique of Dumbo.

Expressing how Vendetta against North. I'll go on the record as saying he's way too bearish on North next year and doesn't understand demographics or development.

North improve next year, injuries allowing. Pin this post C4L vs. Dumbo.

View attachment 2102230

It's also interesting he can shift his focus to West Coasts female program, but can't bare to shift the focus on NMFC to our outstanding successes in AFLW and would rather sink the boot in one more time with his same tired rhetoric.

I'll repeat. What a pathetic c£#!

View attachment 2102233
I take he wrote a similar piece on Kearney's inclusion in the men's system.

Whenever I read something from Damo I'm reminded of a wise piece of advice - only listen to the opinions of people whose opinion is worthy of respect
Yeah. Its weird seeing that stuff posted here. I forget it exists otherwise.

I'm pretty sure Harry and his manager would've had all sorts of incentives built into the contract like AA squad, brownlow votes etc.
Yeah, reckon this one would have been mutually beneficial. Worth remembering that footy players also pay tax and 19 year olds don't necessarily have a lot of write offs. Better at his age for Harry to be getting a good high paying income over 6-7 years rather than an a huge sum over 1-2 and not much otherwise. They can put the money away and let it sit and do its work for him whilst he is playing.

Kane is extremely consistent about his thoughts on players signing on long term.
Except for one player.

Well, there is the case of Zak Butters, who Cornes feels is unworthy of consideration as Port Adelaide captain because he only signs 2-year extensions and doesn't commit long-term.

So this is the world according to Kane Cornes:
  • A club offers a long-term contract to a star player = BAD
  • Port Adelaide offers a long-term contract to a star player = GOOD
  • A star player (JHF) accepts a long-term offer = GOOD
  • A star player (Harry Sheezel) accepts a long-term offer = BAD
  • A star player (Zak Butters) only wants 2-year extensions rather than a long-term deal = BAD

Clearly, he thinks Port Adelaide should get every player it wants signed to long-term contracts and every other club should not be allowed to offer long-term contracts and every decent player in the league should not agree to long-term contracts unless it is with Port Adelaide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back