Opinion Commentary & Media VIII

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't someone here post about their experience with him as a player and how much he lamented having to stop and "sign s%&t for the f#u*ing fans" at training sessions?

He's never been the warmest person and I don't know if he has changed while coaching or been super big with the young supporters but making young kids feel welcome in the way Clarko does is certainly crucial especially at this point in time.
I shook hands with him at the Syd Barker in 09, was very approachable.

Well now I don’t know what to believe!
My brother, who was a big North supporter, played pool and had a few beers with Simmo and his friends many years ago at a pub in Beechworth. He thought Simmo was a pretty normal sort of bloke, not up himself or anything.
Everything was friendly and relaxed until my brother turned to Simmo and asked “so Adam, what do you do for a living?”
Simmo was the Captain of North at the time.
My brother may have been on a bit of a bender before asking the question.

My brother, who was a big North supporter, played pool and had a few beers with Simmo and his friends many years ago at a pub in Beechworth. He thought Simmo was a pretty normal sort of bloke, not up himself or anything.
Everything was friendly and relaxed until my brother turned to Simmo and asked “so Adam, what do you do for a living?”
Simmo was the Captain of North at the time.
My brother may have been on a bit of a bender before asking the question.
Haha, and what was the response?!

Haha, and what was the response?!
After I stopped killing myself laughing as my brother told me the story, I remember him saying there was an awkward silence broken by one of Simmo’s friends muttering something like ‘for ****s sake’. But then things were ok as they realised it was an innocent but beer driven mistake.

Didn't someone here post about their experience with him as a player and how much he lamented having to stop and "sign s%&t for the f#u*ing fans" at training sessions?

He's never been the warmest person and I don't know if he has changed while coaching or been super big with the young supporters but making young kids feel welcome in the way Clarko does is certainly crucial especially at this point in time.
My birthday is in the off season. I was celebrating a milestone in 2009 and my brother had bought a guernsey he wanted to get framed for me. He went down to training and got most signatures but was missing a few given the time of year. Someone he worked with knew Simmo. He gave the guernsey to him and Simmo went to the players homes to get the missing signatures. I have always been so grateful to him for this kind gesture.

My birthday is in the off season. I was celebrating a milestone in 2009 and my brother had bought a guernsey he wanted to get framed for me. He went down to training and got most signatures but was missing a few given the time of year. Someone he worked with knew Simmo. He gave the guernsey to him and Simmo went to the players homes to get the missing signatures. I have always been so grateful to him for this kind gesture.
Simmo was alright with the fans. Actually 99% of them were. Shagga was a piece of shit towards north fans. Epitomised that character in his personal life too, embraced it

Shame on me for not realising Bob Ansett is still with us. Looking ok at 91.

Prime Minister fires off zingers to crowd at North Melbourne Grand Final Breakfast​

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has compared himself and Opposition Leader Peter Dutton to the feuding Gallagher brothers from pop band Oasis as he addressed footy fans at the North Melbourne Grand Final Breakfast.

September 28, 2024 - 11:06AM
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entert.../668b533548b5f328aa0475d2860aa542#share-tools
Fiona Byrne
Don't miss out on the headlines from Fiona Byrne. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Follow
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has likened himself and federal Opposition Leader Peter Dutton to the brawling Brit pop Oasis brothers, Liam and Noel Gallagher, in a bizarre start to Grand Final Day.
Speaking at the time-honoured North Melbourne Grand Final Breakfast at the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre on Saturday morning, Mr Albanese fired off zingers in his speech to the more than 1400 guests at the sold-out event.
The breakfast is in its 58th year.
Noting that the North Melbourne Grand Final Breakfast was an important tradition on Grand Final Day, the PM added “and so far this century the only way to get North Melbourne and Grand Final into the same sentence.”
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese attends the North Melbourne Breakfast. Picture: Josie Hayden

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese attends the North Melbourne Breakfast. Picture: Josie Hayden
He went on to describe himself and Opposition Leader Peter Dutton as an unusual double act.
“Over the years there have been many famous double acts that have done a great job of mixing footy with comedy: Sam Newman and Trevor Marmalade on The Footy Show, Sam Pang and Mick Molloy on The Front Bar, Andrew Gaze and Jason Dunstall on Bounce, but instead this morning you get me and Peter Dutton.
“We are more like the Gallagher brothers from Oasis.
“Two blokes with a long history of fighting each other, putting aside our differences, getting together on stage and giving all of you watching at home what you really want, the chance to stop watching, get up and make yourself a cup of tea.
“Don’t look back in anger, in fact, don’t look at all.
“Consider our contributions not so much speeches, but more like an ad break.”
More than 1400 guests turned out to enjoy a gourmet breakfast with VIPs including Bob Ansett, Shaynna Blaze, Scott Boland, Lord Mayor Nick Reece and Deputy Premiere Ben Carroll.
AFL CEO Andrew Dillon arrived in the room to the song Dumb Things by Paul Kelly.
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese. Picture: Josie Hayden

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese. Picture: Josie Hayden
Opposition Leader Peter Dutton. Picture: Josie Hayden

Opposition Leader Peter Dutton. Picture: Josie Hayden
AFL chief executive Andrew Dillon with Shaynna Blaze and Michael Tobin. Picture: Josie Hayden

AFL chief executive Andrew Dillon with Shaynna Blaze and Michael Tobin. Picture: Josie Hayden
A tradition at the breakfast is each of the 18 VIPs on the head table being introduced to the room with a song referencing a highlight or lowlight in their year.
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese, who was at the breakfast with his Sydney Swans supporting fiancée Jodie Hayden, walked the blue carpet as the song I Need A Dollar by Aloe Black played.
Opposition Leader Peter Dutton headed to the top table with the tune Radioactive by Imagine Dragons playing.
Bob Ansett talks to Deputy Premier Ben Carroll and Lord Mayor of Melbourne Nicholas Reece. Picture: Josie Hayden

Bob Ansett talks to Deputy Premier Ben Carroll and Lord Mayor of Melbourne Nicholas Reece. Picture: Josie Hayden
Minister for Sport Steve Dimopoulos, Deputy Premier Ben Carroll and Lord Mayor of Melbourne Nicholas Reece. Picture: Josie Hayden

Minister for Sport Steve Dimopoulos, Deputy Premier Ben Carroll and Lord Mayor of Melbourne Nicholas Reece. Picture: Josie Hayden
North Melbourne president Dr Sonja Hood, Jodie Haydon, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and Jen Watt. Picture: Josie Hayden

North Melbourne president Dr Sonja Hood, Jodie Haydon, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and Jen Watt. Picture: Josie Hayden
Other VIPs included Dr Sonja Hood, president of the North Melbourne Football Club, Laura Kane, Brisbane Lions Chairman Andrew Wellington, Sydney Swans director Belinda Rowe, Premier Jeremy Rockliff, deputy premier of Victoria, Ben Carroll, Kangaroo’s player Harry Sheezel, Australian soccer notable Archie Thompson, cricketer Scott Boland, Olympic swimmer Meg Harris, and The Block judge Shaynna Blaze.
One of the most popular people at the breakfast was Bob Ansett, 91.
Ansett is a former president of the North Melbourne Football Club.
North Melbourne President Sonja Hood and Western Bulldogs President Kylie Watson-Wheeler. Picture: Josie Hayden

North Melbourne President Sonja Hood and Western Bulldogs President Kylie Watson-Wheeler. Picture: Josie Hayden
Jen Watt and Sonja Hood at the North Melbourne Grand Final Breakfast. Picture: Josie Hayden

Jen Watt and Sonja Hood at the North Melbourne Grand Final Breakfast. Picture: Josie Hayden
Shaynna Blaze at the North Melbourne Grand Final Breakfast. Picture: Josie Hayden

Shaynna Blaze at the North Melbourne Grand Final Breakfast. Picture: Josie Hayden
North Melbourne president Dr Sonja Hood noted the music choices in her speech.
“Welcome to all of you who’ve just walked the blue carpet with me. A gentle sledge by a faceless voiceover, followed by eating your breakfast in front of 1400 people. If that doesn’t say ‘A-lister’ I don’t know what does,” she said.
“Welcome to both the Prime Minister and the leader of the opposition. I didn’t think we had much in common – but when I was writing this speech I realised that actually all three of us are trying desperately hard to turn around an underperforming organisation.
“The Prime Minister has tried to reshuffle his way out of his – I can tell you from experience, that’s a card you don’t get to play as often as you might like.
“The leader of the opposition and I have both gone for a different approach, binding our respective futures to a powerful yet volatile energy source. For Mr Dutton, it’s nuclear fission, for me, it’s Alastair Clarkson. Let’s hope yours is less explosive than mine has been.”
Tasmanian Premier Jeremy Rockliff. Picture: Josie Hayden

Tasmanian Premier Jeremy Rockliff. Picture: Josie Hayden
Australian Swimmer Meg Harris. Picture: Josie Hayden

Australian Swimmer Meg Harris. Picture: Josie Hayden
Josh Kennedy holds the Premiership Cup. Picture: Josie Hayden

Josh Kennedy holds the Premiership Cup. Picture: Josie Hayden
Australian Cricketer Scott Boland. Picture: Josie Hayden

Australian Cricketer Scott Boland. Picture: Josie Hayden
Former soccer Player Archie Thompson. Picture: Josie Hayden

Former soccer Player Archie Thompson. Picture: Josie Hayden
AFL chairman Richard Goyder arrived to the tuen of Come Fly With Me, while Melbourne Lord Mayor Nick Reece arrived to We Built This City by Starship.

Read related topics:Anthony Albanese