Competition: The Draft by Emma Quayle

Remove this Banner Ad

MOST INSPIRED: Pick 3 Chris Judd 2001 Draft

With all the rumours about his dodgy shoulders, Worsfold made the call overriding his recruitment team to take Judd over the local WA KPP we desperately needed, Polak. No Judd No 2006 Premiership.

LEAST INSPIRED: Pick 6 Ashley Sampi 2001 Draft

Sampi had by far the most natural football talent in the 2001 Super Draft, and like many talented people become lazy. WC could have instead drafted gun players like Bartel, Johnson, Mitchell, Dal Santo. Wasted talent, wasted pick.

Most Inspired: Brad Johnson Pick 11 1993.
A man that gets the best out of his abilities, Brad Johnson's match winning ability & passion for the bulldogs makes him my most inspired.

Least Inspired: Andrew McDougall Pick 5, 2000

Least Inspired says it all, Andrew McDougall's heart was never in it. Played 38 for West Coast & 5 for the Western Bulldogs before retiring.

Most Inspired
Danyle Pearce - 2004 Rookie Draft Pick 16

Ignored by many, partly due to his poor eyesight, Port took a punt. Payed off after he won the 2006 NAB Rising star

Least Inspired
Michael Stevens - 1998 National Draft Pick 6

Port fans still cringe over this. Proof that having a talented brother means very little.

Most Inspired
#12 2004 PS Draft - Josh Mahoney (Port Adelaide)
Three years out of AFL, Port took a punt which resulted in 20 goals and a premiership for Josh who 'Lived the Dream' in 2004.

Least Inspired
#7 2000 National Draft - Laurence Angwin (Adelaide)
Ayres overruled Fantasia in using Adelaides highest ever pick on a problem child who resigned after 12 months ahead of multiple All Australian Kane Cornes.

Most Inspired- Stuart Dew:
Dubbed too fat and slow but payed off the faith by playing a massive role in winning them a premiership.
Least Inspired- Nathan Ablett:
You can have all the talent in the world but you need desire most of all

I am dying to read her book, I am so interested by what happens behind the scenes for young footballers and also the recruiting philosophies of Chris Pelchin and other high profile recruiters.

I believe the most inspired choice is about selecting a player who everybody else deemed 'too hard'. Somebody who, once selected, would draw certain critisism to the club's recruiting policies. And the last of my criteria is repaying his new club's faith in him by winning them a premiership.

I'm talking about Stuart Dew.

Overweight and unwanted by his ex-club (whom he already won a premiership with), Hawthorn took a bold risk in selecting him after making the finals for the first time in 6 years.

What makes this choice even more inspired, is that Hawthorn only had 3 ND picks, so in the middle of a strict "youth policy" they only brought in 2 new kids. For someone so overweight and old, it went against everything the club was building towards, and stunk of an overreaction to playing finals.

On the last day of September Chris Pelchin would have been smiling harder than anyone, including the thousands of Hawk supporters who were now basking in the glory of premiership success after a matchwinning 3rd quarter by the most inspired draft pick of recent times - Stuart Dew.

The least inspiring pick in the draft in my eyes would probably be Josh Fraser.

For the hope and optimism that comes with a #1 draft pick, and the new era of success a club plans to build around this player, Collingwood made the choice to go with a player who they hoped would redefine the ruck position. Athletically built to run all day, great skills around the ground, can push up forward and turn a game with his marking... it was a selection that failed to meet these high expectations.

With appearances in the 2002 and 2003 Grand Finals, Collingwood fans would have killed to get a Luke Hodge or a Nick Riewoldt with their #1 pick. To make things worse, they overlooked Matthew Pavlich who may have been the difference in 2002.

Instead their #1 pick was Josh Fraser, a servicable ruckman who would be welcome at any club, but failed to delivery the hype and optimism that comes with a #1 draft pick.

Thanks,
:)

After re-reading the original post, I noticed that the entry must be 25 words of less.

Therefore these are my official entries: :)

Most Inspiring: Stuart Dew

The only club willing to give an aging, overweight player a second chance was a bold club in the middle of a strict youth policy. (25 words).

Least Inspiring: Josh Fraser

The hope and optimism that comes with a #1 pick was never justified as a supposed 'revolutionary' ruckman fails to deliver on the premiership dream. (25 words)

Any book that features Trent Cotchin and the draft is bound to be a good one.

Good thread.

Most inspired:

Stuart Dew:

Clarkson backed his judgement to take on a retired player that was heavily overweight and unfit. He was the match-winner in the grand-final.

Least inspired:

Jarrod Oakley Nicholls (8):

Key position talent was available, and after going for Tambling, Meyer and Deledio the year before, pick 8 was way too much to pay.

Nathan Foley: The kid came from the rookie list and is already a pivotal part of our midfield and will be for years to come."

Most Inspired
Dean Cox - 1999 Rookie draft pick #28

Found in his local league up north and had not even played WAFL football, extremely unfit. Was picked up in 1999 and rose to become one of the greatest ruckmen of the modern era.

Least Inspired
Ashley Sampi - 2001 draft pick #6

All of the talent in the world and a steal at pick #6, had definate X factor and a permanent place on the Eagles list but just could not rise to meet the challenge of being an AFL footballer. A polar opposite of Dean Cox.

Most Inspired: Jarryd Roughead - All pre-draft talk was about deledio, griffen. This guy has been one of the masterminds behind this years premiership

Least inspired: Ryan Fitzgerald - Person who had talent and wasted it all. Now is the worst possible tv presenter around.

Most inspired: David Rodan - Port Adelaide picked him up with their last pick in 2006 and despite serious knee injuries has become one of their most important players.

Least inspired: Aaron Fiora - Pick 3 in the 1999 draft, yet has struggled for both Richmond and now has been delisted by St Kilda. Pavlich went at pick 4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most inspired: Chris Grant, Pick No# 105 in the VFL draft. Played first game of 341 age 17. True Champion of the game.

Least Inspired: Ryan Fitzgerald. PLayed couple of game before moving clubs. Wasted draft selection wasted and one of the worst first round picks ever. True DUD.

I am dying to read her book, I am so interested by what happens behind the scenes for young footballers and also the recruiting philosophies of Chris Pelchin and other high profile recruiters.

I believe the most inspired choice is about selecting a player who everybody else deemed 'too hard'. Somebody who, once selected, would draw certain critisism to the club's recruiting policies. And the last of my criteria is repaying his new club's faith in him by winning them a premiership.

I'm talking about Stuart Dew.

Overweight and unwanted by his ex-club (whom he already won a premiership with), Hawthorn took a bold risk in selecting him after making the finals for the first time in 6 years.

What makes this choice even more inspired, is that Hawthorn only had 3 ND picks, so in the middle of a strict "youth policy" they only brought in 2 new kids. For someone so overweight and old, it went against everything the club was building towards, and stunk of an overreaction to playing finals.

On the last day of September Chris Pelchin would have been smiling harder than anyone, including the thousands of Hawk supporters who were now basking in the glory of premiership success after a matchwinning 3rd quarter by the most inspired draft pick of recent times - Stuart Dew.

The least inspiring pick in the draft in my eyes would probably be Josh Fraser.

For the hope and optimism that comes with a #1 draft pick, and the new era of success a club plans to build around this player, Collingwood made the choice to go with a player who they hoped would redefine the ruck position. Athletically built to run all day, great skills around the ground, can push up forward and turn a game with his marking... it was a selection that failed to meet these high expectations.

With appearances in the 2002 and 2003 Grand Finals, Collingwood fans would have killed to get a Luke Hodge or a Nick Riewoldt with their #1 pick. To make things worse, they overlooked Matthew Pavlich who may have been the difference in 2002.

Instead their #1 pick was Josh Fraser, a servicable ruckman who would be welcome at any club, but failed to delivery the hype and optimism that comes with a #1 draft pick.

Thanks,
:)

Obviously didnt see the 25 workd or less. Other than that. :thumbsu:

Most Inspired:

Dick / Goldsack Combo - Hine fixed the spine (Reid, Brown & Dawes) and then went straight for the pelvic region! Anatomy 101 meets Recruiting 101.

Least Inspired:

Gerard Healy PSD - Recruiting a retired player...genius that can only be surpassed by recruiting a dead one! What is Syd Coventry doing next year...

Most Inspired:
How about Shane Woewodin? Virtually had to beg for a pre season at a mature age and went on to win a Brownlow.

Least Inspired:
Luke Molan; Daniher overrode the recruiting department for a first round pick that was a dud. Same logic he let Jolly go with, I guess!!

Most Inspired - Chris Grant. One of the great players of the modern era. Pick 105 1988. Remarkable story.

Least Inspired - Richard Lounder. Played all of four games for Richmond. Pick 1 1987. Remarkable story.

I've tried to keep the modern drafting era - my thoughts are:

Inspired - David Rodan - Port
Inspired is defined as having been of such excellence it suggests divine intervention. Rodan was gone, seriously, what were the port boys smoking when they decided to pick him up? Inspired.

Least Inspiring - Laurence Angwin
Uninspiring is defined as being depressing to the spirit. Angwin was loss to AFC and CFC but also the wider footy community.

Most Inspired: Lance 'Buddy' Franklin- Questions were raised about his commitment and attitude which clearly overlooked the genius within!

Least Inspired: Stuart Dew- Inspiration was clearly not required for Clarkson though rather a cool, calm, collected and exceptionally clever decision to draft an impact player in a young side.

MOST INSPIRED: Pick 3 Chris Judd 2001 Draft

With all the rumours about his dodgy shoulders, Worsfold made the call overriding his recruitment team to take Judd over the local WA KPP we desperately needed, Polak. No Judd No 2006 Premiership.
Bullshit. He was a unanimous choice amongst the recruiters.

One of the good things about Woosh is that he lets his team of recruiters do their job, saying that they know best, whilst coaches of the past (Malthouse, Judge) were keen to go with what they thought (especially Judge)

Most Inspired choice: James Hird in 1990. Here was a bloke with a dodgy knee which had seen Sydney not even consider him. Oops. Thankfully, Essendon's (or should that be Sheedy's?) knowledge of history knew the links of father and grandfather to the club and the fact Essendon got him so late on proved that anyone could have been drafted anywhere.

Least Inspired: Daniel McAllister. Poor bastard. Fancy coming from New Zealand, via Tasmania and then spend 8 years playing very little senior footy. Backfired.

I've already read the book, loved it, couldn't put it down.

Emma: another book suggestion...what about a follow-up of the same players in a few years time?

Most Inspired: Pick 23, 1988: Michael Long.
Aborginal players were few in 1988, so when Sheedy plucked an ultra-shy kid out of Darwin to play in Melbourne, he helped inspire Aboriginal recruitment.

Least Inspired: Pick 5, 1996: Daniel McAlister
It's said he was drafted because Sheedy wanted to be the first to coach a Maori (nevermind Wayne Schwass). Our recruiters were overruled.

Remove this Banner Ad

Competition: The Draft by Emma Quayle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back