Club History Completely random Melbourne memories that come to mind for no particular reason

Remove this Banner Ad

Would this be the best game we've ever played at the MCG under Goodwin? As in big crowd, close finish and great spectacles go?
Rewatching it now. Biggest highlight so far is the commentators saying we need to sort out our forward 50 entries šŸ„³

Rewatching it now. Biggest highlight so far is the commentators saying we need to sort out our forward 50 entries šŸ„³
Q3 the game turns when we start winning the ball off halfback and streaming forward, breaking through Collingwood's press by hand and kicking it to the advantage of our forwards.

Did anyone know this sort of thing was possible?

Q3 the game turns when we start winning the ball off halfback and streaming forward, breaking through Collingwood's press by hand and kicking it to the advantage of our forwards.

Never heard of it.

Never heard of it.
Another thing to note Hunt was everywhere but in classic Hunt fashion skied the ball every time he got it. Tim Watson started to get very cross with him.

Jesse Hogan sitting with Josh Wagner

1727082099603.png

Would this be the best game we've ever played at the MCG under Goodwin? As in big crowd, close finish and great spectacles go?
We played some very watchable football in 2018. Problem was Goody, doubled, tripled then quadrupled down on the defence as the only wat to win a game.

Last edited:
We play some very watchable football in 2018. Problem was Goody, doubled, tripled then quadrupled down on the defence as the only wat to win a game.
This was 2017 but agree. 2019 he lost faith in attack. Worked out well in 21 but got addicted to controlling the game after that.

This was 2017 but agree. 2019 he lost faith in attack. Worked out well in 21 but got addicted to controlling the game after that.
I think Goody had come to the conclusion that he'd clocked football tactics and refused to change, Everyone adjusted and he was outsmarted mid '22. Tried to make adjustments early this year but caved after 5 minutes and went back to defence at all costs.

BT's coverage of this game was elite.

"Goal umpire extremely confident not to go to the review?!"

shows replay

"And that is why. Because it was a meter inside!"

Also funny that we didn't have a recognized ruck in that game at all, yet we completely dominated the Pies at stoppage in the second half. Agree it was probably Goodys best non final at the MCG as a spectacle (Much smaller crowd but I also enjoyed us shitting on Hawthorn in 2016).

I think Goody had come to the conclusion that he'd clocked football tactics and refused to change, Everyone adjusted and he was outsmarted mid '22. Tried to make adjustments early this year but caved after 5 minutes and went back to defence at all costs.
Also the changes he made this year were dumb and made no sense to our playing list.

Jesse Hogan sitting with Josh Wagner

View attachment 2119393
Man i thought for real when Gawn went down and Spencil having a decent run of form in the preseason he was really going to step up that year

But injured himself the moment he got in and it was over for him at that point

Pederson though was very serviceable in the ruck that year, but was probably his last good year, shame he fell off the year we made finals though

Never gets old. Wonder what Jack is up to these days.

Wish he still played for us in a way. His attributes if used well are something we could benefit from.

Maybe his attitude was not right? But me and Jack started our AFL careers at much the same time, and my attitude isnā€™t right either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wish he still played for us in a way. His attributes if used well are something we could benefit from.

Maybe his attitude was not right? But me and Jack started our AFL careers at much the same time, and my attitude isnā€™t right either.
If he was recruited by Sydney or Geelong he probably ends up a 300 gamer. Needed to learn good habits early on. Was able to cruise through his career with us.

Man i thought for real when Gawn went down and Spencil having a decent run of form in the preseason he was really going to step up that year

But injured himself the moment he got in and it was over for him at that point

Pederson though was very serviceable in the ruck that year, but was probably his last good year, shame he fell off the year we made finals though
Iā€™d forgotten that!

Was it the ANZAC Eve game where he came in and got injured part way through? I know we had a few in game injuries, I think Viney? But we had a crack so it was still exciting.

Like that bit in One Flew Over the Cuckooā€™s Nest where McMurphy tries to rip out the water fountain but fails, and then says ā€œat least I triedā€ which is the moment that sparks a mini-revolution in the hospital which is amazing until McMurphy is lobotomised.

This feels like a significant observation but I will let others be the judge.

If he was recruited by Sydney or Geelong he probably ends up a 300 gamer. Needed to learn good habits early on. Was able to cruise through his career with us.
We really stuffed him. If he was a Nate Jones type he might have had the inner resources to fight through on his own, but that type isnā€™t the norm.

When I think back to the things he could do well, I think of him as a Jack Gunston type. Maybe better in some ways as more usable in parts of the ground other than just forward.

We really stuffed him. If he was a Nate Jones type he might have had the inner resources to fight through on his own, but that type isnā€™t the norm.

When I think back to the things he could do well, I think of him as a Jack Gunston type. Maybe better in some ways as more usable in parts of the ground other than just forward.
Wing would have been perfect for him if his tank could have been built up. He'd be right at home in the new era of footy. His field kicking would tear teams apart.

The club would never tolerate a player whose attitude was not right.

Right Clayton?

The club would never tolerate a player whose attitude was not right.

Right Clayton?
Yes there is indeed some work to be done around expectations.

You might even call it culture, but Iā€™m assured our culture is as good as any club in a billion years.

Iā€™d forgotten that!

Was it the ANZAC Eve game where he came in and got injured part way through? I know we had a few in game injuries, I think Viney? But we had a crack so it was still exciting.

Like that bit in One Flew Over the Cuckooā€™s Nest where McMurphy tries to rip out the water fountain but fails, and then says ā€œat least I triedā€ which is the moment that sparks a mini-revolution in the hospital which is amazing until McMurphy is lobotomised.

This feels like a significant observation but I will let others be the judge.
Yep anzac eve. The one in front of 87k

Yep anzac eve. The one in front of 87k
Spencil did look really good then, and I was happy for him, and happy for me that we had a reserves ruck that could get the job done without Max. Oh wellā€¦

I also have a weird memory that the week prior when Max went down quite early? We were playing Geelong and we lost (might even have been that game where we had a million forward 50 entries but converted virtually nothing?) and Jack Watts did a really creditable performance as back up ruck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Club History Completely random Melbourne memories that come to mind for no particular reason

Remove this Banner Ad

Back