Club History Completely random Melbourne memories that come to mind for no particular reason

Remove this Banner Ad

It's almost worth a letter.
I’ll team up with stEdy. More goals, more Cols, and a confused theory about why we should train at the G will make some waves.

I’ll team up with stEdy. More goals, more Cols, and a confused theory about why we should train at the G will make some waves.
To show you are reasonable say you will settle for the East Melbourne Cricket Ground being rebuilt as a home base.

To show you are reasonable say you will settle for the East Melbourne Cricket Ground being rebuilt as a home base.
Eminently reasonable

• Brock McLean's first game
  • Absolutely teaming down with rain in the 2nd half
  • 2nd last win at Subi, went home empty handed for the next 17 or so visits after this (until Tom McDonald, you genius...)
  • Kicked 6.7 to nothing in the last quarter, peter Vardy kicking 3 in 3 minutes including a miracle from the boundary line
  • I was thankfully at the Subiaco end of the ground (right of screen) about 11 rows back, the people in row 8 were getting absolutely soaked whilst we were dry

(Log in to remove this ad.)

James Sellar kicking 5 goals in a pre-season game when we were desperately shit.

Initially I thought it was played in China for some reason (lol) but it was played in Renmark on the Murray as per the internet

Whenever I wonder why MFC this is always my answer.

Remember walking out of one of Neale Danihers last games as coach against Essendon at Etihad (possibly his last game?) absolutely fuming. Took my non-sporty partner to the game and I didn’t say a word to her for the rest of the night after she told me to ‘cheer up it’s only a game’ on our way out.

Had the honour of sitting next to the Essendon cheer squad for 148. Essendon supporting friends had a spare ticket and I didn’t want to sit by myself in the mcc. The 180 from random abuse over wearing a Melbourne scarf to outright sympathy from strangers still pops into my head on occasion.

Sisters partner took me to 186 against my better judgment. The geelong fans were not as kind as the Essendon fans at 148.

On a positive note, I have a distinct memory of Colin Sylvia zigzagging through three swans players. Literally the closest I’ve ever seen to a player making the opposition look like witches hats. Think it was even used in an AFL (Telstra?) ad at some point.

On a positive note, I have a distinct memory of Colin Sylvia zigzagging through three swans players. Literally the closest I’ve ever seen to a player making the opposition look like witches hats. Think it was even used in an AFL (Telstra?) ad at some point.

And also a memory of Paul Wheatley bombing a shot at goal from outside 50 and the ball bouncing on top of the goal post. Only time I've ever seen that done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Club History Completely random Melbourne memories that come to mind for no particular reason

Remove this Banner Ad

Back