Other Concussions and Player Safety Issues

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Study Finds Riddell Helmet Model Worn By Most Players to Be Unsafe

good point, especially given goodell's marching band about player safety, after all these years in office he hasnt once conducted a test on helmets and put in a law about helmet uniformity....which imo is THE way to help safety not by killing the rules of the game.

Are there even any other brands besides Riddell that make NFL standard helmets?

And I mean besides those almost novelty helmets that seem to come out every couple of years by a guy/company that thinks they are safer (but are impractical)

EDIT: Found this But I dont think anybody actually wears it
pg2_gladiatorwhite_300.jpg

There's actually been a series of articles since my first one, on PFT about this, but it wasnt really worth pasting because the bottom-line is the studies are being questioned (rightfully) for a lot of good reasons, but at the same time the companies complaining were ones that got lowly rated by Virginia Tech who did the study, but Riddell supplies Virginia Tech, so sus analysis then.

How about you ****ers come up with some "interesting" content then during this laborious lockout :p

Bump the music thread or something then!! :D :p

Not sure where to put this one, but the Riddel helmet story is related to this.

For those who missed it, last night's four corners program on the ABC was about brain injuries in American Football. The show covered the full range of American football in the States, from high school through to the pros. Most disturbing was the development and non-regulation of high school football. The story is mostly a repeat of a US Frontline documentary about a US high school football team in Arkansas.

The show features Dr Ann McKee who is investigating CTE, a degenerative brain disease. Her studies have found that people as young as 21, with no history of concussion in there football careers, and we're talking about a college footballers here, have signs of CTE.

The program is available on abc's iview if you're interested.
http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/view/769886

Not sure where to put this one, but the Riddel helmet story is related to this.

For those who missed it, last night's four corners program on the ABC was about brain injuries in American Football. The show covered the full range of American football in the States, from high school through to the pros. Most disturbing was the development and non-regulation of high school football. The story is mostly a repeat of a US Frontline documentary about a US high school football team in Arkansas.

The show features Dr Ann McKee who is investigating CTE, a degenerative brain disease. Her studies have found that people as young as 21, with no history of concussion in there football careers, and we're talking about a college footballers here, have signs of CTE.

The program is available on abc's iview if you're interested.
http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/view/769886

Thanks Sven that was pretty interesting, though the stuff on Australian sports wasn't that in depth or enlightening, really makes you think twice about those hits we all like so much. Found the whole High School training more hours than college interesting, never thought about it that way but i guess it holds true.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another study done, basically saying helmets or not, football and Alzheimers are linked.
It's the end of the world as we know it.

Source

Research unveiled at the Alzheimer’s Association International Conference in Paris today shows that NFL players are more likely to develop mild cognitive impairment, which can lead to Alzheimer’s disease, than men who didn’t play football.

Time magazine reports that the study gave former football players a standardized test for Alzheimer’s symptoms and found indications of dementia in a much higher percentage of them than is found in the population as a whole.

Christopher Randolph, the professor of neurology at Loyola University Medical Center who led the study, says mild cognitive impairment is associated with the kind of repetitive head trauma that football players experience. He also said that football helmets don’t protect against injuries caused by the brain hitting the inside of the skull.

Randolph also says that this kind of brain injury is caused by repeated minor blows to the head, not necessarily by blows to the head that cause concussions, and “it’s conceivable that by changing the ways players drill in practice, we could change things.”

Re: Study Finds Riddell Helmet Model Worn by Most Players to be Unsafe

where there's smoke a lawsuit will surely follow....

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6785702/seventy-five-ex-players-sue-nfl-concussions-report-says

75 ex-players are suing the NFL over concussions claiming the NFL knew of the harmfull effects but didn't admit anything until last year.

In February, commissioner Roger Goodell went before Congress to urge legislators from all 50 states to pass youth concussion laws.

So after FIVE years in office Goodell pulls his hands from under his arse to finally do something about concussions.. that's called 'nipping it in the bud' .

Thank you Roger. Now F*** off. Your job is done. :p

I could be wrong but wasn't it discovered that helmets do little to prevent concussions, all they really do is prevent cuts and things like that on your head.

I could be wrong but wasn't it discovered that helmets do little to prevent concussions, all they really do is prevent cuts and things like that on your head.

Logic would say that many helmet hits have prevented serious injury. ;)

If you've played the game on the local scene and got hit, shaken up, you'll admit without doubt that the helmet PROTECTS the skull. :) Concussions are something that players at the time will rarely admit they are suffering (minor scale) if they can still stand on two feet.

what a recent study indicated was that helmets dont prevent concussions and long-term damage (dementia etc) is higher among american football players than other walks of life, and that the cause of it is a lot of hits in general, the brain getting knocked around inside the skull with each collision, even if no concussions ever occurred. just like what boxers often suffer.

what a recent study indicated was that helmets dont prevent concussions and long-term damage (dementia etc) is higher among american football players than other walks of life, and that the cause of it is a lot of hits in general, the brain getting knocked around inside the skull with each collision, even if no concussions ever occurred. just like what boxers often suffer.

Stands to reason why they get (deserve & earn) the BIG $$$. I actually read an article about Redskins new Punter, Sav Rocca, who admitted that his body/ build is more suited to American football than Aussie Rules football. Stunning admission I thought. Can't find article atm. Recent interview.

Jim McMahon suing NFL over concussions

Jim McMahon is one of seven former players suing the NFL over health problems that they say are the result of concussions and other brain injuries they suffered on the field.

McMahon, the Bears’ quarterback in their Super Bowl-winning 1985 season, joins a group of players saying that the NFL was negligent and that players have suffered from headaches, dizziness and dementia because of injuries suffered on the field.

“The purpose of this lawsuit is to obtain proper funding to address these horrible long-term issues and to compel the NFL to establish a medical monitoring system to reduce the risk that current and future players will end up with the same kind of chronic mental and physical problems,” the plaintiffs said in a joint statement.

McMahon revealed last year that he is suffering from memory loss. He said that when he was playing, teams didn’t care if players suffered concussions.

“Back then, it was just tape an aspirin to your helmet and you go back in,” McMahon said.

NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy told the Associated Press that the league will vigorously contest the claims.

The other former players involved in the suit are Ray Easterling, Wayne Radloff, Gerry Feehery, Joe Thomas, Mike Furrey and Steve Kiner. In July, a separate group of dozens of former NFL players announced that they were filing their own lawsuit against the NFL over concussions.

Comprehensive Survey Long-Term Affects of Football

One Team, 25 Years On

In a first-ever comprehensive survey of football's long-term effects on an entire NFL roster, SI polled the former members of the 1986 Bengals, whose physical and psychological conditions a quarter century later range from near complete normalcy to near total disability. But no matter their current hardships, the vast majority say they have no regrets...click to read on

---

1986 Bengals Look Back in Pain w/Few Regrets

Peter King of Sports Illustrated undertook a compelling project for the magazine’s latest issue.

King examined the health and quality of life of the 1986 Cincinnati Bengals, 25 years later. He interviewed every possible player he could find from the team, with 39 of 46 living members cooperating. It was the first such study of its kind.

There is a lot to devour in the piece, and we highly recommend reading it in full.

Here were a few things that stuck out to me....click to read on

---

Re: Comprehensive Survey Long-Term Affects of Football

PFT comments...

Interview any random group of 50-60 year olds who didn’t play football and it might be surprising how similar the answers are. Although interesting, it has no real scientific value.

I’m sorry, but I have no pity. I broke my back & my neck, spaghetti’d a shoulder, and lost my right knee… all while working a regular job.

Life’s tough. Deal with it.

“Every morning when I get up, I want to put oil cans in all these little places before I get going,” said offensive lineman David Douglas.

I suspect that is true of many 48 year old men his size, whether or not they played football.

The article also fails to mention the percentage of those players that would have otherwise had a job driving a beer truck. (not that there’s anything wrong with that). I would guess that 100% of them knew what they were signing up for. Life comes down to the decisions we make and responding to the consequences.

Ray Horton said it best. BTW, what middle age man doesn’t question the life/career path they chose. I mean don’t you question the fact that you blog about this industry and sport that has made you and the the other hacks a career of spreading gossip and uneducated speculation.

Think about how many checks are cashed today because of Suh’s suspension or Colt not being taking out of the game on Thursday. In the end those same hacks may eventual create such drama that contact football will no longer be around.

So in other words, football is a violent game and most players recognize that and even in hindsight while dealing with all the pain, wouldn’t choose something else?

Who woulda thunk it?

Are you listening Goodell?

Educate players up front (pop warner, high school, college) and let them continue to make their own choices rather than enacting subjective and not-consistently-enforceable rule changes, or outlawing things that are impossible to avoid if the game is played at 100% speed.

That last post imo is the best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Other Concussions and Player Safety Issues

Remove this Banner Ad

Back