Contenders and Pretenders 2019 ( edited - Page 32 current discussion ) Are Richmond now the team to beat?

Are Richmond the new Premiership Favourites?

• Yes. The Dominant team and rule at Fortress G - Too good!

Votes: 128 34.6%
  • No. Geelong will roll on once more

Votes: 17 4.6%
  • West Coast to go Back to Back

Votes: 105 28.4%
  • Collingwood will regroup and Redeem themselves

Votes: 38 10.3%
  • GWS will break through for their first flag

Votes: 6 1.6%
  • Brisbane will break the hearts of many

Votes: 59 15.9%
  • Essendon will emerge

Votes: 17 4.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane Lions are the Port Adelaide of 2002/03

Next year they'll be ready. This year they are not.

Nah we are the dogs of 2016.. everyone keeps underestimating before we sneak up to a grand final. I think topping the table already was a bad idea, drawing too much attention..

Agree. Arguably the form team of the comp. want to avoid them at all costs.
One team has won 9 in a row and another has won 8 in a row.

Yet neither are the form team of the comp, it’s the team that has lost 2 out of their last 5 games.

Righto.

Brisbane supporters dirty no one rates them off a soft draw.
How is our draw soft for a team that finished in the bottom 6 last year?

Or are you the type to just be a sheep and ramble on about what others sprout without knowing facts.

Or are you the type to just be a sheep and ramble on about what others sprout without knowing facts.
It's soft because you finished in the bottom 6 last year. You can only play to the schedule provided by the AFL and Brisbane has done that. Nothing to be offended about.

Yeah... I don't think you can go around complaining about others getting a soft draw.
You literally play Carlton and Melbourne twice. For finishing as Minor Premiers, Richmond got the softest draw you'll ever see.

You’ve had a good draw it doesn’t matter how or why, it’s not an insult. You haven’t played a top 8 side twice which is a huge leg up and why people are happy for the lions and think they are on the way up but will stop short of declaring you a premiership threat. We’ve also got a great draw with a home run at the G, however we weren’t a bottom four team last year.

Lions have done well with it and thats great for them, but I would much prefer the lions at the Gabba over the Dogs at the G in current form as there last few weeks they are destroying teams and their midfield is stacked!

Yeah... I don't think you can go around complaining about others getting a soft draw.
You literally play Carlton and Melbourne twice. For finishing as Minor Premiers, Richmond got the softest draw you'll ever see.

I’m not complaining I’m just stating a fact. Melbourne being horrendous was a huge leg up for us. We still copped Pies and GWS twice but again not complaining about Brisbane’s soft draw just stating it’s why I think they have definitely improved but would prefer them over the dogs.

You’ve had a good draw it doesn’t matter how or why, it’s not an insult. You haven’t played a top 8 side twice which is a huge leg up and why people are happy for the lions and think they are on the way up but will stop short of declaring you a premiership threat. We’ve also got a great draw with a home run at the G, however we weren’t a bottom four team last year.

Lions have done well with it and thats great for them, but I would much prefer the lions at the Gabba over the Dogs at the G in current form as there last few weeks they are destroying teams and their midfield is stacked!
We played the Dogs twice (8th), Hawks twice (9th), Port twice (11th), North twice (12th) and Suns twice (18th).

Besides the Suns, no other team was in the bottom 6 and we only get the Suns twice because they are our derby rival.

We got Tigers, GWS, Bombers away, in return we did get Pies, Geelong & WC at the GABBA, for teams in the top 8. 3 for 3 seems pretty fair to me.

So how is this draw so soft exactly? Especially when it’s a draw that was designed for a bottom 6 team. If we had of finished in the bottom 4 again, I’d be pissed at this draw.

Dirty? I'm ecstatic about no one rating us. We ride the underdog wave so well and the finals series is only showing more n more people queuing up to call us also-rans. Happy to keep the expectations low while we keep winning.

The draw can shape the finals (and the expectations from last year can be horribly mangled the year after (eg end of 2018 oh damn got the demons twice bleedin' AFL out ta get us they is ... end of 2019 well you had the Demons twice get what a soft draw)) but once you are in the finals it is every team for itself and you can only play against the team that shows up on the day...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not saying it is something that tells the whole story. It’s an observation. Quarters won is a measure on how many times a team wins in a given period of time. I haven’t gone into the details of what the margins of each quarter looks like, so that’s why it does not tell the full story. It’s something to keep an eye out on.

Fair play

One of the many reasons.

Back to the thread topic, Pies can't kick straight. Looked like they had control of the game after qtr time with the odd bomber spurts of run and carry off half back. Pies will be lucky go past week one.

Too many injuries no continuity a very good side on the right day. This is what makes the upcoming finals series so interesting any team could realistically knock off one another early on and it would't be a huge upset.

We played the Dogs twice (8th), Hawks twice (9th), Port twice (11th), North twice (12th) and Suns twice (18th).

Besides the Suns, no other team was in the bottom 6 and we only get the Suns twice because they are our derby rival.

We got Tigers, GWS, Bombers away, in return we did get Pies, Geelong & WC at the GABBA, for teams in the top 8. 3 for 3 seems pretty fair to me.

So how is this draw so soft exactly? Especially when it’s a draw that was designed for a bottom 6 team. If we had of finished in the bottom 4 again, I’d be pi**ed at this draw.
What is it about not playing any of the top 8 teams twice that you struggle to understand?

You name Tigers, GWS, Bombers(lol), Pies, Geelong and West Coast... all of whom you only played once.

You you not understand what a soft draw is?

What is it about not playing any of the top 8 teams twice that you struggle to understand?

You name Tigers, GWS, Bombers(lol), Pies, Geelong and West Coast... all of whom you only played once.

You you not understand what a soft draw is?
Ur assuming that that we didn't play 2 top 8 teams as of Round 23. There were several teams we played during season that were top 8 at that time that we had to play twice.

So how is this draw so soft exactly? Especially when it’s a draw that was designed for a bottom 6 team. If we had of finished in the bottom 4 again, I’d be pi**ed at this draw.

Double up games against...

Top 6: 0
Mid 6: 4
Bottom 6: 1

Our record against...

Top 6: 3-1 (75%)
Mid 6: 8-2 (80%)
Bottom 6: 5-2 (~71%)

I guess our draw is soft because we only had to double up on one bottom 6 team, the group that we have our worst record against.

Groupthink outta control.

Pretty crazy that Eagles and Tigers are currently the 2 favourites for the flag, but with a round to go theres a chance 1 of them finishes 5th.
With the quirks of the fixture, the ladder doesn't always reflect who people rate as the best premiership chances in order.

That fan opinion is often proved correct too, otherwise 1st would win a lot more often.

Too many injuries no continuity a very good side on the right day. This is what makes the upcoming finals series so interesting any team could realistically knock off one another early on and it would't be a huge upset.

I'm not totally subscribed on the injury "crisis" theory. We have 5 best 22 out at the minute off the top of my head - so it's not exactly a major issue, and we're likely to get em back for week 1.

And because of they way the Pies play continuity is not a huge issue either, they are very difficult to defeat when they bring the heat - it's not personnel reliant. Being predictable to the opposition is irrelevant also because of the swarm and structure up with and without the ball, it allows them easy transition. It's tactically brilliant.

When they're on you have to out transition them of course after out contesting them at the coalface. That's very difficult to do and only the very best skilled teams can beat it - if they're good enough to win the contested ball also.

If you look at the essendon game last night all the metrics were won by the pies apart from tackles. If anything the score line flattered a very brave essendon outfit.

In short injuries and continuity aren't a major concern for mine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Contenders and Pretenders 2019 ( edited - Page 32 current discussion ) Are Richmond now the team to beat?

Back