Contenders and Pretenders 2019 ( edited - Page 32 current discussion ) Are Richmond now the team to beat?

Are Richmond the new Premiership Favourites?

• Yes. The Dominant team and rule at Fortress G - Too good!

Votes: 128 34.6%
  • No. Geelong will roll on once more

Votes: 17 4.6%
  • West Coast to go Back to Back

Votes: 105 28.4%
  • Collingwood will regroup and Redeem themselves

Votes: 38 10.3%
  • GWS will break through for their first flag

Votes: 6 1.6%
  • Brisbane will break the hearts of many

Votes: 59 15.9%
  • Essendon will emerge

Votes: 17 4.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't want to devalue your opinion.. but I think you are seriously underestimating GWS. They are a huge sleeper. Even with the injuries, they have star players in every position. No position is a weakness - Good defence/offence/midfield/ruck. I would have Tier one - Cats/Richmond, 2 Collingwood/GWS, 3 Bulldogs (if they make it)/West Coast. Bulldogs are without a doubt the strongest team of that cluster stuck from 7th onward. If Collingwood/GWS didn't have half their lists out injured, id have them as tier 1 with Richmond and move Geelong to Tier 2.
Noted, but my criticisms of the Giants are that they are outside the double chance and home finals which are significant, and even at their best they are prone to the odd flaky game and underachieving particularly in finals.

I'd be incredibly surprised if someone outside the top 5 wins it this year, they are the best chances with a gap to the rest.

Bro you were just talking about being the greatest team of the modern era if you won this year (lol) now it's sack the coach time. You're absolutely off ya ****.
That was a few weeks ago before Barrass basically destroyed the teams season by himself yet kept his place in the team

We're not winning this year and deep down I have known this since the Port game.

Still had some great moments this year, but just not consistently good enough.

West Coast certainly have cracks. Reckon last year was probably their last chance to win with this team. Kennedy is not what he used to be. Shuey has been found out with the staging and ducking.. like Lindsay Thomas, umpires are scared to pay him a free kick now. Cripps only shows up when they have a 30 point lead. McGovern has been nullified - teams know just not to kick it in his direction and they have no star ruckman.. Lycett leaving and Natinui inured... whoever they have there is a huge downgrade.

The only signs of life on this team are Ryan and Rioli. Without these guys, West Coast would be just stale... Also evident with the flag... no Rioli/Ryan, no flag.
But rough. Blokes like Pettrucelle and Allen have also injected some verve into the team at various stages this year.

It’s hard from outside the four but West Coast are well and truly capable.

I cant imagine too many teams in the top 7 are looking forward to Hawks or Dogs. Both had some VERY strong performances in the last month or so.
Was saying this to someone today - if we look at the second half of the season, Hawks and Dogs are arguably top 4 quality. Pity that Freo let Essendon beat them, we could've had both sides make it in instead of just one

Richmond seem to be the loser following the hawks win over eagles.

A QF at home to Geelong would have been far preferable i would have thought to away v Lions
Yep worst possible result last night. Wouldn’t have minded if the hawks did a real number on them so we could afford to lose today and still make the 4, but we don’t even get that now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also calling us pretenders really isn't effective. We're all already happy with our season and anything from here on out is a bonus :)
I am on the Brissy ride. I have loved what you have achieved this year and i reckon Brissy can do a Western Bulldogs and win the lot.

Bump.

We're done. Don't see us winning a flag from outside the top 4.
Essendon in Perth the first week is a pretty tasty boobie prize.

Who knows maybe playing every week of the finals is the way to win it these days. I know Richmond came into the Prelim last year too 'relaxed' because we had had a week off.

I don't reckon you are done at all.

Essendon in Perth the first week is a pretty tasty boobie prize.

Who knows maybe playing every week of the finals is the way to win it these days. I know Richmond came into the Prelim last year too 'relaxed' because we had had a week off.

I don't reckon you are done at all.

Finishing outside the top 4 means travelling three straight weeks to make the GF (assuming of course we win the elimination final). Don't see that happening.

Looking at wikipedia at the moment. In the last 10 or so years, more 2nd or 3rd place wins than anything. Prime positions on the ladder.
I used to think the concept of peaking too early was crap but I seriously think that's the case for a lot of minor premiers. Play their best footy during the year but get overtaken.

There was a graph on TV a few weeks ago showing how the most recent premiers were tracking late in the season and they'd all seriously hit their straps in the last six weeks or so, although it's misleading in the case of the Dogs who struggled over the line against weak opposition late before getting players back week one.

Would suggest Tigers and Brisbane are in the box seat.

Naitanui would be coming off a long injury lay off and I would not count on this current side to bank the win against Essendon even.

If we can somehow luck out on top 4 with the Lions causing an upset tomorrow that would be preferable.

Yeah I'm not sold on NN not having impact (if that's what your implying), he's proven time and again he has immediate influence when he returns. Be wary the pi55ed off eagle on the back of a bad blemish at the worst possible time.

Still in it and can still win it.

You change your tune on a day by day basis. At least I called my premier at the start of the year and stuck with it.

No, Mac does not. Mac has a strange pessimism about Geelong even though they finished top with a thumping win against an in form blose, and yet has some almost unwarranted optimism about Collingwood winning it all ever since the day after the gf loss - even at our depths this year.

I hope Mac is right, but that theory is not what you'd immediately think.

That was a few weeks ago before Barrass basically destroyed the teams season by himself yet kept his place in the team

You honestly think that Barras wholly and solely cost you the game! Wow - sorry chief you've lost all of your cred if you had any.

No, Mac does not. Mac has a strange pessimism about Geelong even though they finished top with a thumping win against an in form blose, and yet has some almost unwarranted optimism about Collingwood winning it all ever since the day after the gf loss - even at our depths this year.

I hope Mac is right, but that theory is not what you'd immediately think.
Na, he's changed from Collingwood to West Coast to Richmond to Collingwood. He changes weekly based on results.

If you're pinning the loss solely on the selection of Barrass, then you're denying that wc as a team had a blip on the radar. The loss is not due to the selection of Barrass.
I think Wc supporters are hurting a little and missing the bigger picture. Hawthorn played very well and showed us our softer attitude needs to be addressed. It is finals time and Hawthorn had their finals hat on, we didn't and need to if we are going to figure this year. N.N will be a beneficial in for us and add that little tougher attitude we need, especially if he performs a couple of those "Don't f$#k with me" tackles. I enjoy your attitude to other teams postings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Contenders and Pretenders 2019 ( edited - Page 32 current discussion ) Are Richmond now the team to beat?

Back