Contract , delisting & draft news & discussion part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Contract , delisting & draft news & discussion.

You liked his moves, did you dom? ;)

Why don't you describe to me just how well he moves?? :thumbsu:

But seriously - would you want him? As part of our footy club I mean??

He can play but I don't know enough about his off field shenanigans or his work rate to make a definitive decision either way.

If a straight swap for Carr was on the cards I wouldn't be too disappointed but by all accounts Essendon rate him worthy of a top 30 pick in which case it's a Pass with a capital P.

I don't know a lot about him either and on face value I'm not keen, but so far Harvey has done well with former Essendon players and hasn't overpaid for them. If Harvey wants him, I'm happy to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I'm with you, chook. I seem to remember he played a couple of realy good games off the halfback line, maybe season before last. Could be wrong though.:eek:

Depending on how tight he plays, he could take Thornton's spot in the side, which can't be such a bad thing surely.

I reckon we just need to be careful of bringing in another player with "issues" and a record...

Start afresh with this rebuild with a bunch of blokes that the cops have got nothing on at all. Let that be the domain of the "new breed" from up the road.

Lovett is a good player when he is on but also I have seen Essendon games where he just goes completely AWOL. If he comes cheap (i.e. late third round or PSD) then I would give him a chance on the condition that he has a regular session with the Wizard et. al. to sort out his offfield stuff. He is versatile too, can play back midfield or forward. For now he could easily slot into the small forward spot left by the Wizard.

If Essendon start asking for too much then pass. As others have said and I agree the draft policy must be always to never trade the first three picks only use fringe players or additional picks gained from trading fringe players to top up with experienced players at the right price.

Lovett is a good player when he is on but also I have seen Essendon games where he just goes completely AWOL. If he comes cheap (i.e. late third round or PSD) then I would give him a chance on the condition that he has a regular session with the Wizard et. al. to sort out his offfield stuff. He is versatile too, can play back midfield or forward. For now he could easily slot into the small forward spot left by the Wizard.
Doctor, I have a feeling your prescription could be taken all too literally :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gorn...

MCarr - retired
Bellie - retired
Macca - retired (rookie list)
Black - retired
MaJohnson - retired
Webster - retired
Dirty Traitor - walked out
Farmer - retired
Dunn - delisted (rookie list)
Warnock - trade

Solomon
Browne

Peake
Grover
Hayden
Drum
Ibbotson
Crowley
Schammer
Dodd
Gilmore
Campbell
Headland
Hase
Foster
O'Brien
Head
Bradley

Tarrant
Sandi
Pav
McPharlin
Palmer
Hinkley
Mayne
Duffield
Thornton
Murphy
Mundy

Johnson

Rookies
Smith
Connelly
Pratt
Mourish

Gorn...

MCarr - retired
Bellie - retired
Black - retired
MaJohnson - retired
Webster - retired
Farmer - retired
Warnock - trade

I think you can add Browne to the list.

From Today's West -

Doig Medal = Matthew Pavlich
Beacon Award = Rhys Palmer
Past Players and Officials Award = Andrew Browne

Surely that means he's gone?

Bad news Rip, no Con Regan medal for Schwab. ;)

I thought that the award recipient was picked by past players and officials... which in itself is pretty weird. But just as weird to give the award to a past player or official...

Who has won that award in the last few years??? :confused: Might be able to see some sort of pattern...

Bizarre concept, really. Just like the most popular player award... the one the Harbour Masters vote for. I don't recall that one in the past - bit of a touch of the "gold logie" about it... but there ya go.

B&F - yeah, of course
Beacon - yeah, that's good
Clubman - every sporting club does it
WAFL player award - yeah, fair enough

Biggest babe (most popular) - yeah okay I can live with that....

Past players and officials...??? strange to say the least :confused:

The Past Players and Officials Association vote on the award.

I'm not sure if this makes things any clearer. It is from the FFC website.

Past Players and Officials Award
This award recognises a player whom has proven to be a role model and has contributed significantly to the club off the playing field whilst developing themselves for life after football.

The winner of the 2008 Past Players and Officials Award is Andrew Browne.
Whether it is only awarded to departing players, "developing themselves for a life after football", I am not so sure.

Found this in QLD.

http://www.thedaily.com.au/news/2008/sep/26/smith-waits-dockers-decision/

Smith waits on Dockers decision

12:00a.m. 26th September 2008
| By Jon Tuxworth

afl-main_t350.jpg
Fremantle rookie Chris Smith is back on the Sunshine Coast. Photo: Chris McCormack/162213b

Sunshine Coast rookie-lister Chris Smith faces an anxious wait to discover whether he will remain at Fremantle next year after a post-season meeting left his immediate future up in the air.
The Dockers are set to make a decision on whether to retain the Caloundra product for its 2009 campaign at a follow-up meeting in around a fortnight’s time.
Smith, 20, was taken by Fremantle in the 2006 rookie draft, but is yet to play a senior match.
“I had a meeting with them at the end of the season when the finals started, and they said it was 50-50 and they hadn’t made a decision yet,” he said. “We’ll have another meeting in the next two or three weeks.”
Well aware a strong finals campaign for Swan Districts in the WAFL would help his cause, Smith played a starring role in his club’s preliminary final win over West Perth, before they went down to Subiaco.
“They said make sure I play well in the finals and have a good series,” he said. “I played pretty well during the finals. I had a real good preliminary final game.
“The role Fremantle want me to play is as a tagger, so they get me to play on the opposition’s most damaging midfielders.
“I played on Callum Chambers who was on Carlton’s list and got him out of the game.”
Fremantle have experienced more turnover in personnel than most clubs, with a host of retirements and homesick players asking for releases.
It’s an exodus that can only work to Smith’s advantage.
“At the moment I think we’ve had about ten players that have left the club; something like seven retirements and Robbie Warnock and Josh Carr wanting to go elsewhere,” he said. “It’s definitely in my favour.”
Smith admitted he has no idea what option the Dockers will take.
“It was hard to gauge at the meeting. They just said physically they couldn’t ask anything more with my athletic attributes and they way I go about things,” he said.
“I walked away from it the same as when I went in. I went in knowing it (my future at the club) was going to be 50-50.”
While Smith is yet to crack the big time, fellow Sunshine Coast products Rhys Magin and Sam Reid managed to make their debuts in their first season on an AFL list.
Magin played four matches for the injury-ravaged Essendon late in the season, while Reid received a call-up for the Western Bulldog’s final round clash with Adelaide.
But rather than look on with envy, Smith said he was pleased for the duo.
“I’m really happy for both of them getting a game and especially for Sam in the Bulldogs as they were a hard team to crack into seeing how far they pushed into September,” he said.
Should Fremantle end the association, Smith said he would discuss looking for an opportunity at another club with his manager.

Not too suprising, could never see Crowley and him playing in the same team...

Could be a possible trade sweetener or can you not trade rookie listed players?

Update with Solly signing:

Gorn...
MCarr - retired
Bellie - retired
Black - retired
MaJohnson - retired
Webster - retired
Farmer - retired
Warnock - trade