Contract , delisting & draft news & discussion part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Contract , delisting & draft news & discussion.

What is the likelihood that we'll re-sign Browne before the end of October?

Depends on what happens tomorrow I'd say. If we trade Warnock for a player and a pick Browne will be gone. If we get a pick or two picks for Warnock then Browne may be retained but it's still highly unlikely IMO.

It may also come down to Browne v Smith.

Wouldn't mind seeing a few of those 2009 listed players sign some contract extensions soon. With the amount of room in the salary cap we have, we should be able to load up their contracts early.

You wouldn't imagine the club would want to do that until after the PSD.

Depends on what happens tomorrow I'd say. If we trade Warnock for a player and a pick Browne will be gone. If we get a pick or two picks for Warnock then Browne may be retained but it's still highly unlikely IMO.

It may also come down to Browne v Smith.

I have heard that both smith and mourish have been delisted by the club

Update with Browne signing:

Gorn...
MCarr - retired
Bellie - retired
Macca - retired (rookie list)
Black - retired
MaJohnson - retired
Webster - retired
Dirty Traitor - walked out
Farmer - retired
Dunn - delisted (rookie list)
Warnock - trade
Mourish - delisted (rookie list)
Smith - delisted (rookie list)

Peake
Grover
Hayden
Drum
Ibbotson
Crowley
Schammer
Dodd
Gilmore
Campbell
Headland
Hase
Foster
O'Brien
Head
Bradley
Solomon
Browne

Tarrant
Sandi
Pav
McPharlin
Palmer
Hinkley
Mayne
Duffield
Thornton
Murphy
Mundy

Johnson

Rookies
Connelly
Pratt

Looks like that's it as far as all changes go... next changes will be new players in at the ND.

So that's 12 out - leaving 30 on the senior list, and 2 rookies; but 14 in with the expansion of the rookie list - meaning 8 senior places available and 6 rookie spots.

Another update with Roger "The Genius" Hayden extending his current contract for another 12 months:

Peake
Grover
Drum
Ibbotson
Crowley
Schammer
Dodd
Gilmore
Campbell
Headland
Hase
Foster
O'Brien
Head
Bradley
Solomon
Browne

Tarrant
Sandi
Pav
McPharlin
Palmer
Hinkley
Mayne
Duffield
Thornton
Murphy
Mundy
Hayden

Johnson

Rookies
Connelly
Pratt

I see these 4 as prority to get done soon.

Drum, Ibbo and Crowls :thumbsu:

I'd rather see Headland, Grover and Haselby secured on 2 year deals and then worry about Schammer.

Headland - 28 in Jan; Grover - 29 in March; Hase - 28 in June... all WA boys. They don't need to be priority signings. If they don't play for us, they don't play for anyone. No-one would want to trade for them, and they'd be unlikely at this stage of their careers to "hold out" for longer deals and then threaten to walk into the PSD.... ain't gonna happen.

23 year old South Aussie Schammer, is more of a priority than any of those guys IMHO.

23 year old South Aussie Schammer, is more of a priority than any of those guys IMHO.

It is actually quite difficult for required players to move between SA and WA without decent trading being involved, and neither PA or Crows look like living at the end of the ladder that would get them a PSD selection that will help them. Well perhaps the Crows will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see these 4 as prority to get done soon.

No doubt their managers see making it to the end of the season without signing anything a priority. No doubt a few phone calls to the West will be made, at which point one of the interns will be given the following task-

Mundy-Drum.jpg

Then again it's probably not a good idea - assuming you do actually want to stay at the club - trying to hold the club to ransom given our out-of-contract list for 2010.

Headland - 28 in Jan; Grover - 29 in March; Hase - 28 in June... all WA boys. They don't need to be priority signings. If they don't play for us, they don't play for anyone. No-one would want to trade for them, and they'd be unlikely at this stage of their careers to "hold out" for longer deals and then threaten to walk into the PSD.... ain't gonna happen.

exactly my thoughts to why i left those out + had schammer in.

Thx IP you did the hard work for me:thumbsu:

not too about giving schammer another contract too early. he is yet to establish himself as first choice or even a certain starter. the guy has the speed and courage no questioning that, is that his kicking is all over the shop. he looks great when he is breaking the lines and uses his hands but when teams slow us into tempo footy or zone his kicking hurts us too much (not the only one). thats the problem we have too many players who struggle with tempo footy.

just wait and see if he improves his spot kicking.

I would consider Schammer a priority signing. He's a high energy player who finished the year well. I didn't think his disposal was all that bad last season. CC stuffed his 2006 season by trying to convert him into a small defender while illness caused 2007 to be a write-off. At his age well worth another two years I reckon.

Yeh i agree, i think his disposal is being judged on that year or so period where he was played out of position and struggled with niggles. When he came onto the scene his disposal was quite good i thought, and started to get back to that late last season.

Should be re-signed for sure

not too about giving schammer another contract too early. he is yet to establish himself as first choice or even a certain starter. the guy has the speed and courage no questioning that, is that his kicking is all over the shop. he looks great when he is breaking the lines and uses his hands but when teams slow us into tempo footy or zone his kicking hurts us too much (not the only one). thats the problem we have too many players who struggle with tempo footy.

just wait and see if he improves his spot kicking.

I think there is a risk in signing Schammer up until we see which Schammer is going to turn up.

With Carr out and the bigger bodies around him - I expect him to do well. Crows and Port will finish no where near the bottom, I just think we can afford to wait a little.

The reason I flag Haselby and Headland is to get their contracts set - front end if necessary as both would expect reasonable payments. Then we can start to make evil plans for 2010.

The reason I flag Haselby and Headland is to get their contracts set - front end if necessary as both would expect reasonable payments. Then we can start to make evil plans for 2010.

I can't see Haselby expecting a better contract than he has now given his injury, unless he has a brilliant season (he was disappointed with his current contract wasn't he?). And I would be very surprised if Headland was expecting to win Lotto, again.

Both of them for 2 year modest contracts to be signed late in the season. If we are going nowhere, and if the young fellas are out-performing them, then they should be nervous.

I can't see Haselby expecting a better contract than he has now given his injury, unless he has a brilliant season (he was disappointed with his current contract wasn't he?). And I would be very surprised if Headland was expecting to win Lotto, again.

Both of them for 2 year modest contracts to be signed late in the season. If we are going nowhere, and if the young fellas are out-performing them, then they should be nervous.

By reasonable contracts I mean reasonable for where they are in their playing careers ...ie I am not talking top 5 at the club.

Howevefr both should be in the top 15.

Just as a point of interest with regards to contracts and where blokes stand with front ended / back ended / extended contracts etc...

Antoni Grover will be eligible for the Vets list in 2010; while Roger and Hase will be eligible in 2011 - and Pav and McPharlin in 2012.

Just FYI. :)

Is there a limit to how many vets you can have? Or can we put Grover on for a year or two then take him off once Pav is eligible - or does he have to stay on til he retires?

Anyone know?

Ok cheers. So after your two standard vets every extra one you have takes the place of a rookie?

In the state we're in at the moment we're probably much better off with the extra rookie spaces than saving salary space with the vets list.

Pav and McPharlin going on the vets list in 2012 is pretty good timing for us too - they're probably two of our highest paid players and they'll be eligible just as our new breed of youngsters are all expecting big pay rises. Pav going on the vets list is going to save us a fortune in cap space.

Remove this Banner Ad

Contract , delisting & draft news & discussion part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back