Contract , delisting & draft news & discussion part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Contract , delisting & draft news & discussion.

Other way around esti.

Ok gotcha.

So I assume because we don't have any vets right now we can have two extra rookies. Do we have to nominate which two rookies are eligible to play before the season starts or just nominate them during the season when we need them?

Update with Ibbo extending:

Peake
Grover
Drum
Crowley
Schammer
Dodd
Gilmore
Campbell
Headland
Hase
Foster
O'Brien
Head
Bradley
Solomon
Browne

Tarrant
Sandi
Pav
McPharlin
Palmer
Hinkley
Mayne
Duffield
Thornton
Murphy
Mundy
Hayden
Ibbotson

Johnson

Rookies
Connelly
Pratt

Don't wanna be a pain IP, but we can't forget about Roger 'The Genius' Hayden. He re-signed for another 2 years didnt he? :thumbsu:

Update with Grover extending:

Peake
Drum
Crowley
Schammer
Dodd
Gilmore
Campbell
Headland
Hase
Foster
O'Brien
Head
Bradley
Solomon
Browne

Tarrant
Sandi
Pav
McPharlin
Palmer
Hinkley
Mayne
Duffield
Thornton
Murphy
Mundy
Hayden
Ibbotson
Grover

Johnson

Rookies
Connelly
Pratt

Updated:

Peake
Drum
Crowley
Schammer
Dodd
Gilmore
Campbell
Headland
Hase
Foster
O'Brien
Head
Bradley
Solomon
Browne

Tarrant
Sandi
Pav
McPharlin
Palmer
Hinkley
Mayne
Duffield
Thornton
Murphy
Mundy
Hayden
Ibbotson
Grover
Hill
Ballantyne
Suban
Clarke
Walters
Bucovaz
Ruffles
Hall

:thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

Johnson

Rookies
Connelly
Pratt

Update with Hill and Suban signing for 3 years :thumbsu::

Peake
Drum
Crowley
Schammer
Dodd
Gilmore
Campbell
Headland
Hase
Foster
O'Brien
Head
Bradley
Solomon
Browne

Tarrant
Sandi
Pav
McPharlin
Palmer
Hinkley
Mayne
Duffield
Thornton
Murphy
Mundy
Hayden
Ibbotson
Grover
Ballantyne
Clarke
Walters
Bucovaz
Ruffles
Hall

Johnson
Hill
Suban

Rookies
Connelly
Pratt
Sibosado
DeBoer
Pearce
Shepheard
Van Berlo
Broughton

Peake
Drum
Crowley
Schammer
Dodd
Gilmore
Campbell
Headland
Hase
Foster
O'Brien
Head
Bradley
Solomon
Browne

Rookies
Connelly
Pratt

*bump*

Sorry - but I am disgusted by a 100 point thrashing, even if it is just pre-season... and I reckon it's almost time to look at who's on the knife edge already for contracts for 2010 and beyond...

We're looking at a possible / probable top 5 pick again this year, then another in the early 20s and late 30s. Gotta get them right, and not carry any more "dead wood" for next year. By the end of 2010 we need to have finished the cull....

The list above are those out of contract at the end of 2009.

Playing for their careers in 2009 IMO:

Peake - looking okay so far in pre-season training, and was okay last week.
Dodd - needs to find a position to call his own. Will get at least a year more.
Gilmore - too many more brain farts or a continuation of the headaches problem and he's gorn.
Campbell - needs to make FF his own. Can't carry him and Murphy, and Murph is contracted for 2010... :rolleyes:
Headland - needs to get and stay healthy... not getting any younger and is having injury probs. Fit and healthy he's good for another 2 years contract.
Foster - if he can't get his back right, he's gorn.
O'Brien - if he stays fit and healthy and contributes as he did last week, and in the derby last year and Port the year before, then he's good for another 12 month contract (maybe even 2 years if he's good enough)
Head - lost me when he squibbed worse than almost any squibbing I've seen at this level ever... not a good look. Princess needs to toughen up if she wants another contract.
Solomon - IMO he's good enough, but is he still young enough??
Browne - nothing to say that hasn't been said for Browney.

Come on IP, I expect this sort of crap from many of the others but not you. Don't go looking for heads to take off after we lose a game of pissfarting around with the fourth string side. It's not necessary or constructive in any way.

You're above that sort of rubbish.

That's bullshit kev, sorry. We got done by 100 points with a team that had Pav, Taz, Hase, Grover, Drum, Palmer, Ibbo... all top 22 players. Sure there were a lot of kids, and that will affect an outcome, but those "4th stringers" will need to be our first and second stringers in a couple of years time.

So who of the currect second and third stringers will not be part of the revival / rebuild and should be moved on at the end of this year?

And tell me who I was unnecessarily harsh with? None... okay maybe Head. :p I gave them all the benefit of the doubt and in fact, an excuse, why they might get cut (Gilmore's headaches, Des' injuries, Foster's back, Solly's age... etc); but we have to make changes at the end of this year again. Big ones.... Especially if we want to elevate rookies like DeBoer, van Berlo, Pearce, Broughton... even Pratt and Connelly. we need to make room on the senior list, and we need to take a minimum of 3 picks before the Gold Coast swoop in the 2010 draft.

This year is it kev - make or break for the next few years while GC get all the top picks... stuff it up this year and we may be feeling it for the next 4-5 years... by that time Pav, Hase, McPharlin, Headland, Taz, Roger, Grover, Sandi, Solly will all either be gone or on their very last legs... a whole generation of talent done and dusted for nothing more than a PF in 2006.

Sounds overly dramatic... but I reckon that's pretty close to truth.

The 2009 draft will be huge for us - as big, if not bigger than 2008... why not start discussing it now? I don't think we're going to be having many discussions about finals in '09. :(

You are over reacting IP.

Todays result was always on the cards after going in with an underdone team and them copping it after last week and wanting to even up for what we did to them last year.

It was also Pav & Taz's first hitout for the year.

Wait for round 1 before all the wrist slashing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Over-reacting?? How? :confused:

I'm looking at who is going to be on our list at the end of the year as we head into a very important draft for us...

yes, the 100 point loss was the catalyst... but not the only thing to discuss in regard to this issue...

Why not talk about it now?

We need to make room for 3 draftees (minimum), and possibly 3-4 rookie upgrades. That means 7-8 changes to the list at least...

Assuming that comes from the class of 2009 - who do you reckon will stay and who will go?

Of course it's based mostly on '08 form, as we don't have enough '09 form to go on... but we are kidding ourselves if we think that the '08 cleanout was enough or in fact the end of it... there's more to come whether we like to discuss it or not. And it's got to be done before the first dreaded GC17 draft in 2010. :eek:

We are not going to know until halfway though the year.

Some will come from nowhere and others will fall away.

This time last year everybody wanted to sack Crowley. :eek:

100 points is very disappointing though , with so many youngsters we need to start the year well to keep the confidence levels up or it will be an extremely long one.

And true to form with players we pass on , Liam Antony tore us a new one.

Come on IP, I expect this sort of crap from many of the others but not you. Don't go looking for heads to take off after we lose a game of pissfarting around with the fourth string side. It's not necessary or constructive in any way.

You're above that sort of rubbish.
The problem is Kev, we weren't even competitive. Not even close.

A lot of players in that side are playing for their careers at every opportunity.

And it appears that some just DO NOT GET IT.

Frankly, Kev, if I can call you Frankly, it is just no acceptable.

And we as long suffering supporters, just do not have to put up with it.

For the record, I think you really over-reacted IP. But having said that, it has opened a relevant discussion.

We need to make room for 3 draftees (minimum), and possibly 3-4 rookie upgrades. That means 7-8 changes to the list at least...

I disagree with that. The way I see it, if a player can still be on the rookie list then we should leave them there. We wont be having any veterans next year, so we can still have two nominated rookies. And there are always long term injuries. I don't see the point in promoting them, if we don't have to.

You mentioned the GC17 draft, surely it would be better to promote the 3 - 4 rookies in two years when the draft is at it's thinnest?

So I would think that we will probably have 5 changes to the list this year, not the 8 that you're predicting.

Nah.

Ideally we'll want to stack the rookie list again this year ahead of GC.

It was absolutely correct what we did this time around.

So even if someone is most likely going to make it, even as a depth player, they are better off on the list than the rookie list next year.

I can see Pearce and DeBoer promoted come the end of the season. Quite possibly even Van Berlo, Connelly and Broughton.

For the record, I think you really over-reacted IP. But having said that, it has opened a relevant discussion.

I disagree with that. The way I see it, if a player can still be on the rookie list then we should leave them there. We wont be having any veterans next year, so we can still have two nominated rookies. And there are always long term injuries. I don't see the point in promoting them, if we don't have to.

You mentioned the GC17 draft, surely it would be better to promote the 3 - 4 rookies in two years when the draft is at it's thinnest?

So I would think that we will probably have 5 changes to the list this year, not the 8 that you're predicting.

I tell you what I am going to over-react to and that's people telling me I have over-reacted... :mad:

;)

Grover could be moved to the vets list next year if they chose to do so... Hasleby amd Hayden the year after, and Pav and McPharlin the year after that.

But that is beside the point...

I think it will be more than 5, but not necessarily as many as 8. Tell me, of that list of out of contract players for 2009 - who (at this point) would be definite keepers and why?

But seriously - why is this an over-reaction? The changeover on the list is nowhere near complete if we are doing the "rebuild". There are still players that we know are not regular AFL quality, but are on the list because they are still contracted and we need some older guys to protect the young bodies of the undeveloped draftees.

Sure - the sucky 97 point drubbing (shit I hate it when Freo lose... actually I don't hate it so much when we lose but play with heart like last week... but there's not a lot of positives you can take from a complete and total shellacking like this... young players or not...) was the catalyst for me to dig up this thread to see just who was out of contract, and then to initiate discussion...

... but if you think I am looking for a scapegoat because we lost a pre-season match in Canberra against a bigger, more experiences side - then you have seriously misunderstood my motivation here.

I tell you what I am going to over-react to and that's people telling me I have over-reacted... :mad:

;)
I understand your frustrations. But only Gilmore and Murphy were truly woeful, players of no hope, and completely shithouse. They offered less than Albert Thurgood's corpse.

The rest were OK. No reason to go nuts. But yeah, the aforementioned two were disgusting.

Nah.

Ideally we'll want to stack the rookie list again this year ahead of GC.

It was absolutely correct what we did this time around.

So even if someone is most likely going to make it, even as a depth player, they are better off on the list than the rookie list next year.

I can see Pearce and DeBoer promoted come the end of the season. Quite possibly even Van Berlo, Connelly and Broughton.

There is no point discarding players that you want to keep simply to elevate players who are still eligible for the rookie list.

There is no point discarding players that you want to keep simply to elevate players who are still eligible for the rookie list.
You've completely missed the point.

There will be absolutely no depth in the upcoming drafts, whatsoever, so the rookie list will become next to useless after next year or the year after.

And we have PLENTY of players we DON'T want to keep without discarding players we do.

So the conclusion is obvious. Stack it again this year - flush out the players we know are complete duds - and there are plenty, and promote the ones that are at least on par. This way we utilise it most effectively while it is of actual use.

Remove this Banner Ad

Contract , delisting & draft news & discussion part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back