Corona virus, Port and the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So many people have worked themselves into an anxiety "death spiral" over this. It's pretty clear by now that it's not going to be anywhere near as bad as some are predicting, we have had the virus active for enough time, we have enough data. A lot of people are going to feel very stupid in a couple of months. Hot tip, stop reading sensationalist media, stop taking every medical professional who has a microphone in front of them as expert advice (there are very few corona virus experts in the world at the moment). Calm the f**k down and carry on.

Democracy means governments need to be seen doing something

Sure it’s an issue but no need for hysteria

This arvo I was down the Outer Harbour.
There's a P&O liner berthed at the Viterra Bulk Grain Handling terminal.
Well out of the way of anything.
Laid up at a cheap porting facility due to lack of passengers?
Unloading passengers out of view of general public?
Becoming a grain carrier by loading wheat into all the cabins?
Where are the crew?
Were there any passengers on board?
Seems deserted.
Just seems odd to me.
Anyone know?

Just saw an item on the TEN News that there are thousands of passengers on cruise ships who are being denied access to ports. Vanuatu, New Zealand have all denied entry to cruise ships despite there being no reported cases of COVID-19 on board. They did a story on one ship the Norwegian Jewel that left Sydney on a sixteen day cruise but cannot dock. It is headed to Hawaii where passengers have just been informed they will not be allowed to disembark.

Surely it is possible to bring cruise ships to Australia disembark the Australians on board then place them in isolation for fourteen days. They then refuel and sail to their home port disembarking other nationals as they go.

The Diamond Princess contamination first came to light on February 5th so many of the people who cannot get off of cruise ships knew the possibilities before they set sail. Many of the passengers are in a situation of their own making but that does not mean that Governments should not make an attempt to get them home.

It is probably cheaper to leave a cruise ship like you mention at anchor with a skeleton crew on board than attempt to sail it to it's home port.

NRL like.

giphy.gif
They're really desperate to get on board the attention the AFL got yesterday.

Just watched SA chief medical officer Dr Nicola ???? talk about SA cases. Said because its now 100 and up 33 today on yesterday, she wont go thru new cases, case by case like in the past pressers.

Said of the 100 cases, no one is a severe case, needing an ICU bed at this stage.

Said all cases so far have involved people travelling from overseas, interstate or directly to people close to someone who had the case.

Said no known examples of community transmission so far. So that's why she recommended to the government to shut the state's borders down.

Nicola Spurrier

The Government's tax take in a normal year is around $250bn, so the stimulus package is going to create a serious hole in coming years. There's not going to be much left for propping up sporting competitions.
Which is a good thing and will hopefully make the comp fairer.

Last edited:
Reckon the images of Bondi Beach crowds had an impact on the lockdown by states. Spooked them all in the new national cabinet that people aren't social distancing, made them look at pubs and clubs and probably thought putting a lock down might actually wake people up, and try and get ahead of community transmission taking off.

ScoMo was pissed off about it, but it was more than just beach crowds not listening.

Reckon the images of Bondi Beach crowds had an impact on the lockdown by states. Spooked them all in the new national cabinet that people aren't social distancing, made them look at pubs and clubs and probably thought putting a lock down might actually wake people up, and try and get ahead of community transmission taking off.

ScoMo was pissed off about it, but it was more than just beach crowds not listening.
That and the spike. My hospital is clearing out ED beds for the vulnerable and serious acute cases only it's almost empty, gearing up for a onslaught I'm guessing. Cases are trickling through fast

I reckon the big spike of American tourists in the Barossa wouldn't have helped either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Government's tax take in a normal year is around $250bn, so the stimulus package is going to create a serious hole in coming years. There's not going to be much left for propping up sporting competitions.
Nah its double that. That is a bit more than it gets from personal income tax. From 2019-20 budget paper no. 1 page 4-17

The budget deficit will push $100billion for calendar 2020 and might be that for 2020/21 financial year.

1584862001346.png

I reckon the big spike of American tourists in the Barossa wouldn't have helped either.
17 cases yesterday 10- yanks in the Barossa, 33 today. It was more than them.

Nah its double that. That is a bit more than it gets from personal income tax. From 2019-20 budget paper no. 1 page 4-17

The budget deficit will push $100billion for calendar 2020 and might be that for 2020/21 financial year.

View attachment 844959
Yeah my apologies REH, I meant to say that figure was the personal tax take, I didn't want to mislead anyone. But it is quite likely that company tax revenue will plummet this FY because of the economic downturn.

Said all cases so far have involved people travelling from overseas, interstate or directly to people close to someone who had the case.

Said no known examples of community transmission so far.
So that's why she recommended to the government to shut the state's borders down.

They’re blurring the crap out of definitions here. How is the teacher to student (possibly vice versa depending on the incubation periods) case at Unley High not considered community transmission?

Are people just not good at maths? We are doubling every 3-4 days, we are on the rocket ship blasting off into outer space. 1000 confirmed cases today will be 15-20,000 confirmed cases in just two weeks.

The only way to get the rate down beyond that is to smash into now.

Nah mate, it’s all social media hype. She’ll be no wukkas.

Yeah my apologies REH, I meant to say that figure was there personal tax take, I didn't want to mislead anyone. But it is quite likely that company tax revenue will plummet this FY because of the economic downturn.
I specifically looked this up the other day because I thought 2/3rds of company tax revenue could go missing and want to know what the estimate was because the last time I took any great note was about $80bil.

The banks pump in about $12bil of that, BHP, Rio and Fortescue depending on what the iron ore prices are, is about $6bil and the Future Fund about $0.75bil, so I wanted to see what they estimated for this year. It's supposed to be almost $100bil, but anything over $40 bil looks like a big bonus at the moment.

What a lot of people are seeing, is the government spending big $$$ to save and then stimulate the economy, but a lot of the spending will be tax free and people don't think of the other side which will be tax collections plummet.

Last edited:
Gil made the following points-
  • Suspension includes training
  • AFL to programme 144 matches (16 rounds) plus finals
  • AFL to work out fixtures over the coming weeks.
  • AFL to work on line of credit for all AFL clubs
  • No AFLW Premiership in 2020 because of the conference format.
  • AFL took advice from the Commonwealth and State Governments before making the decision.
I am not Gil or the AFL's biggest fan but I give them credit for trying. A week ago no one knew the State borders would be affected and that was a game changer. Should the AFL have started ? I guess that is debatable but suspending the season is not.
No training...surely this will set us up for injuries when the season restarts and surely snealy clubs like Essendope and Crows will do something sneaky anyway

Updates from SA Health:

20th March - 8 new cases, 50 total
21st March - 17 new cases, 67 total
22nd of March - 33 new cases, 100 total

That's good.

Those stats are irrelevant unless you compare to number of tests taken. Still at 0 fatalities and no critical care required yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back