Coronavirus 2020 / Worldwide (Stats live update in OP) Part 8: This Thread is for Reasonable ON TOPIC Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing that I find interesting is in 2020 covid was 38th leading cause of death with less than 900 deaths recorded out of 161k

Heart disease killed 16.5k people that year to be #1

Covid has killed around 4940 this year so far, that's good for 8th leading cause of death for the entire 2020

We're on track for approximately 15k deaths if we keep going at the same rate for the rest of the year and that would make covid #2 on 2020 numbers, but there is no mention of this in the reporting

And this is with high vaccination rates

The reporting currently is all about minimising scare factor since they've moved in to a living with COVID phase.

The reporting currently is all about minimising scare factor since they've moved in to a living with COVID phase.
thanks Sherlock I never would have guessed

The media and the Pollies are all on board with how good is it that covid is over but it's not over

If we get a winter wave like we have the last couple of years covid could end up being the leading cause of death in Australia in 2022 and we'll have massively dropped the ball

The media and the Pollies are all on board with how good is it that covid is over but it's not over

If we get a winter wave like we have the last couple of years covid could end up being the leading cause of death in Australia in 2022 and we'll have massively dropped the ball
What sort of measures do you think the government should do to pick the ball up again? Mask mandates?

Anecdotal but there was more masking in the streets at my local shopping strip today than I've seen in a month which was a bit unexpected but not a bad thing that people are still aware.

Anecdotal but there was more masking in the streets at my local shopping strip today than I've seen in a month which was a bit unexpected but not a bad thing that people are still aware.
Hardly surprising now that as of last weekend, in some parts of Australia, those with diagnosed infected with COVID household members, are now legally allowed to both go outside their home and into most indoor settings, including to school (students and teachers included), provided they abide by the guidelines for their daily RAT testing, do not test positive for COVID, mask wearing and have no COVID symptoms.

In some NSW schools, it appears that a student who is a "household contact" that does not go to school without a valid reason, (like having to stay home and care for a COVID infected household member), is being marked as absent without a valid reason, like they would be if they just did not go into school for a day because they wanted to go to have a day off to go to the beach.

What makes you think a 'winter wave' would be more pronounced than the current waves from dense indoor family gatherings like Easter or Christmas / New Years?

Also, what is your alternative?

Continue the scare-monger messaging which has well and truly reached a fatigue point with the public where it's no longer effective?

What makes you think a 'winter wave' would be more pronounced than the current waves from dense indoor family gatherings like Easter or Christmas / New Years?

Continue the scare-monger messaging which has well and truly reached a fatigue point with the public where it's no longer effective?
Calm down dude, were vaxxed and living with the virus i dont think anyone is suggesting otherwise but it is fascinating that in spite of numbers being pretty ****ing high everyone has just moved on like its not a thing anymore.

FWIW i think we reached fatigue well before they stopped the daily pressers and 20 minutes on the nightlys that didnt stop them from doing it. Call me crazy but an impending election and potential world war might have moved the media cycle on.

Calm down dude, were vaxxed and living with the virus i dont think anyone is suggesting otherwise but it is fascinating that in spite of numbers being pretty ******* high everyone has just moved on like its not a thing anymore.

FWIW i think we reached fatigue well before they stopped the daily pressers and 20 minutes on the nightlys that didnt stop them from doing it. Call me crazy but an impending election and potential world war might have moved the media cycle on.

I am calm, I'm asking what he thinks the realistic alternative is?

I also don't think we're going to see some kind of enormous winter spike drastically over and above the previous spikes we've had, given they've all occurred during times of dense indoor gatherings of family and friends anyway.

I don't think people have moved on like it's not a thing, but between high vaccination rates and recent variants being relatively less severe than previous ones, it's fading in to a endemic part of life.

Worldwide numbers are in steep decline so unless that’s just because people aren't testing anymore it looks as though people aren’t getting reinfected with Omicron in significant numbers. They’ve started that trend here.

Be very surprised if there is any significant surge over winter, and I actually think our health authorities would be to. But get your flu jabs people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What makes me think winter, a time historically worse for respiratory illnesses could be worse?

Is that really the question you are asking? We've just spent the last two winters dealing with covid waves and we've watched winter peaks in northern hemisphere countries

We had a summer peak with Omicron + massive easing of restrictions, we now have basically no restrictions and we're heading into winter

Reinfection is possible, immunity wanes over time, viruses mutate, if its endemic now then it's most likely going to be worse in winter than summer like all the other endemic respiratory illnesses

What's my alternative to what?
I was commenting on how the media and politicians are ignoring what is happening now and that could lead to worse outcomes for us down the track.

We don't appear to be prepping for a possible winter increase in cases, we've taken almost all measures and put them in the you should do them basket, about the only thing I can see them doing is recommending older and at risk people get their 4th booster and that everyone get their flu shot

Is talking about covid becoming the leading cause of death in Australia scare mongering or just talking about the possible reality we are looking at?

I'm not saying I have any faith in Government and media to get the messaging and settings correct but that doesn't mean I wouldn't prefer to see something better than how good is covid being over lets all go out without masks because freedom.

If we're keeping masks on public transport and at airports it should also be at large indoor gatherings like concerts, shopping centers etc

We don't appear to be prepping for a possible winter increase in cases
Not even in Victorian schools?

Are large indoor events/gatherings at schools still going ahead in the next few weeks?

Or have many of them now been postponed, cancelled, or moved online only (where possible).

Not even in Victorian schools?

Are large indoor events/gatherings at schools still going ahead in the next few weeks?

Or have many of them now been postponed, cancelled, or moved online only (where possible).
It's pretty much go for it now in Vic, there are few settings with masks, everything else is just go for it now with a we recommend you wear a mask if you can't socially distance
1651196787054.png

It's pretty much go for it now in Vic, there are few settings with masks, everything else is just go for it now with a we recommend you wear a mask if you can't socially distance
Similar here in NSW, but some schools in NSW are already going down the path of cancelling, postponing and moving things online as per the sister set of rules and guidelines for NSW Schools, that is mandatory for Government schools to follow, and some of which is optional for Private schools.

Does the VIC Dept Education not have something similar to the below like NSW?

'Last updated 3:50 pm 27 April 2022'

'In certain circumstances NSW Health and the Department of Education may advise that certain COVID-smart measures be temporarily reintroduced at your school. Your principal will work with Health and the department and provide further details of any changes to COVID-smart measures at your school when required. These temporary measures may include:
  • ceasing large indoor gatherings
  • ceasing off-site and inter-school activities
  • mask wearing for adults and high school students
  • limiting visitors to schools
  • separating cohorts of students
  • symptomatic use of RATs
  • learning from home or remotely.'

I was commenting on how the media and politicians are ignoring what is happening now and that could lead to worse outcomes for us down the track.

We don't appear to be prepping for a possible winter increase in cases, we've taken almost all measures and put them in the you should do them basket, about the only thing I can see them doing is recommending older and at risk people get their 4th booster and that everyone get their flu shot
This is what concerns me most.

Plenty of experts were warning for years that a pandemic was coming and nobody did anything about it. Then it hit and our response times were painfully slow, now were at the tail end of it and no one seems to have learned from what happened.

Worldwide numbers are in steep decline so unless that’s just because people aren't testing anymore it looks as though people aren’t getting reinfected with Omicron in significant numbers. They’ve started that trend here.

Be very surprised if there is any significant surge over winter, and I actually think our health authorities would be to. But get your flu jabs people.
I work with people in India they said it everywhere now they worried another lockdown
Although official reporting for a country of 1 bill people s 1-3k a day

What makes me think winter, a time historically worse for respiratory illnesses could be worse?

Is that really the question you are asking? We've just spent the last two winters dealing with covid waves and we've watched winter peaks in northern hemisphere countries

We had a summer peak with Omicron + massive easing of restrictions, we now have basically no restrictions and we're heading into winter

Reinfection is possible, immunity wanes over time, viruses mutate, if its endemic now then it's most likely going to be worse in winter than summer like all the other endemic respiratory illnesses

Is talking about covid becoming the leading cause of death in Australia scare mongering or just talking about the possible reality we are looking at?

I'm not saying I have any faith in Government and media to get the messaging and settings correct but that doesn't mean I wouldn't prefer to see something better than how good is covid being over lets all go out without masks because freedom.

If we're keeping masks on public transport and at airports it should also be at large indoor gatherings like concerts, shopping centers etc

This is the price that Melburnians have to pay for Andrews' ineptitude in having to suffer through multiple unnecessary politically expedient lockdowns, and Andrews had the cheek to turn around and blame us for it. After having to put with long onerous restrictions to clean up Andrews' mess, Melburnians are simply fatigued and fed up with the thought of any more restrictions and certainly won't be keen to tolerate any more of them in the future. And with the election coming up in November and Andrews neck on the line, he will put his own self interest in trying to get elected ahead of the health of any Melburnian; that's just the way this vile transparent political animal operates so I'm afraid you're out luck in hoping for restrictions to be introduced once again to slow the spread of covid.

This is the price that Melburnians have to pay for Andrews' ineptitude in having to suffer through multiple unnecessary politically expedient lockdowns, and Andrews had the cheek to turn around and blame us for it. After having to put with long onerous restrictions to clean up Andrews' mess, Melburnians are simply fatigued and fed up with the thought of any more restrictions and certainly won't be keen to tolerate any more of them in the future. And with the election coming up in November and Andrews neck on the line, he will put his own self interest in trying to get elected ahead of the health of any Melburnian; that's just the way this vile transparent political animal operates so I'm afraid you're out luck in hoping for restrictions to be introduced once again to slow the spread of covid.
Thanks randy your impartial eloquent and well thought out political and social analysis is as always a breath of stale air

Thanks randy your impartial eloquent and well thought out political and social analysis is as always a breath of stale air
Oh I forgot you're part of the blame everything on ScUmMo/LiBeRaLz brigade.

Can't have any Labor corrupt turd be held accountable for their incompetence, no, no, no.

FWIW I'd be voting for Labor a the Fed level. Don't give two flying figs who the current muppet leading them is, after the disgraceful way Fraudenberg wasted taxpayers money on corporations and large business, it's time for them to sit on the bench for a while.

The same way I'll be voting for the Libs at State level 'cos I can't stand the corrupt and arrogant shenanigans of the Vic Labor party, out they go the quicker the better.

I'm a true swing voter, not like the average partisan hacks (mostly Labor stooges) that are common on this board.

Last edited:
Oh I forgot you're part of the blame everything on ScUmMo/LiBeRaLz brigade.
Nah I think you'll find every state and territory has kind of done the same thing you could say there's bipartisan support for throwing vulnerable people under the bus

Can't have any Labor corrupt turd be held accountable for their incompetence, no, no, no.
Yes you're very level headed on this topic

FWIW I'd be voting for Labor a the Fed level. Don't give two flying figs who the current muppet leading them is, after the disgraceful way Fraudenberg wasted taxpayers money on corporations and large business, it's time for them to sit on the bench for a while.
So in a nutshell you're not voting for Labor or against Morrison you're just voting against Frydenburg
Seems like a totally logical and reasonable way to decide who runs the country for 3-4 years

The same way I'll be voting for the Libs at State level 'cos I can't stand the corrupt and arrogant shenanigans of the Vic Labor party, out they go the quicker the better.
Yes I find Matthew "Lobster Cave" Guy to be beyond reproach when it comes to corruption and shenanigans too

I'm a true swing voter, not like the average partisan hacks that are common on this board.
But I'm not average, I'm super

This is what concerns me most.

Plenty of experts were warning for years that a pandemic was coming and nobody did anything about it. Then it hit and our response times were painfully slow, now were at the tail end of it and no one seems to have learned from what happened.

Be sure the major hospitals are prepping, e.g pushing front line staff off on holidays to give them a break, upskilling where possible.

What the Government decides to do is not controlled by mere front line workers, they just pick up the pieces.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coronavirus 2020 / Worldwide (Stats live update in OP) Part 8: This Thread is for Reasonable ON TOPIC Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back