News Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Victorian man tested positive for covid in July and again now in October.

I think this is a far longer period between re-infection than the other cases around the world. It will be curious if this person had a compromised immune system.

Not sure but I hear Crown is keen to of
Yeah and they were prepared to do that because of the emergency situation they were in at the time, knowing full well it might cost them everything. Which I think is at odds with the clamouring to open up that has been going on since the first lockdowns. That's all.

Not everyone on the dole this year is a bludger but the immediate loss of that money now might actually be a bigger hit in terms of actual ability to survive or get back on your feet than it was for those of them that lost businesses completely at the time.

Mate, I am not making that insinuation about people on the dole and I haven't been clamouring to open up since the first lockdown. I am keen that we open up as soon as is safely possible, in a way that makes sense, and with the concerns of keys stakeholders being taken into consideration. Those things are not happening.

Everybody is going to be different but I stand by my opinion that having $150 per week of a welfare supplement removed that you always knew was temporary is far less of a personal and emotional blow than losing a business that you have worked for years on. That doesn't diminish the idea that the reduction in benefit will make it tougher for people reliant on them.

What p*isses me off is that holding that view is somehow a vicious attack on people on welfare by the moral high ground crowd on here and those same campaigners basically making up my view and then using that as a basis to attack me.

Covid normal makes it mark today. School / community outbreak in Melb's. northern suburbs.

NSW had a number of incidents like that over the past few months after our second wave threatened to kick one off up there. It looks like they are doing the right thing in response. As you say this will be Covid normal for a while after we open up and we need to be able to manage and extinguish these spot fires as they flare up.

It appears that the communication from the health department to the Mum about her other children who had been infected and had subsequently recovered was either unclear on what that meant for her third child who was meant to be isolating or perhaps didn't address it and she misunderstood the implication. The child was on day 11 of isolation before testing positive.

NSW had a number of incidents like that over the past few months after our second wave threatened to kick one off up there. It looks like they are doing the right thing in response. As you say this will be Covid normal for a while after we open up and we need to be able to manage and extinguish these spot fires as they flare up.

It appears that the communication from the health department to the Mum about her other children who had been infected and had subsequently recovered was either unclear on what that meant for her third child who was meant to be isolating or perhaps didn't address it and she misunderstood the implication. The child was on day 11 of isolation before testing positive.

Yep. Probably see more of this. As long as jumped on immediately as this is what we will be living with.

Loooooong way to go.

Yep. Probably see more of this. As long as jumped on immediately as this is what we will be living with.

Loooooong way to go.

They'll have to work on essentially dumbing it down big time and giving hard instructions, I think.

When you are a close contact, you are told to isolate for 14 days and that you will be sent for testing at day 11 of your 14 day isolation, clear as day. They stress the importance of day 11 testing. A friend of mine and their dad were close contacts of someone and had to do this.

I'm not sure how the misunderstanding happened, or who the fault sits with, but it can't keep happening.

They'll have to work on essentially dumbing it down big time and giving hard instructions, I think.

When you are a close contact, you are told to isolate for 14 days and that you will be sent for testing at day 11 of your 14 day isolation, clear as day. They stress the importance of day 11 testing. A friend of mine and their dad were close contacts of someone and had to do this.

I'm not sure how the misunderstanding happened, or who the fault sits with, but it can't keep happening.

Mum with multiple kids, two of whom had been infected. This child was meant to be self-isolating when the mum received communication from the health department (written I believe) advising the two infected children were now clear to go back to school. Mum either misinterpreted the advice on the third child or made an assumption.
Probably a rare situation but hopefully a reminder to the DHHS that communication is super important, especially when families that mAy not have English as a first language are involved. You are right about keeping it as clear and simple as possible.

Mum with multiple kids, two of whom had been infected. This child was meant to be self-isolating when the mum received communication from the health department (written I believe) advising the two infected children were now clear to go back to school. Mum either misinterpreted the advice on the third child or made an assumption.
Probably a rare situation but hopefully a reminder to the DHHS that communication is super important, especially when families that mAy not have English as a first language are involved. You are right about keeping it as clear and simple as possible.

She also knew it was Day 11 testing the day before she sent the kid to school. She didn't even wait for the test result which you are instructed to do.

I'm not sure we can shit-can the health department for this one but clarity is key henceforth so there's no excuse.im future

Materials are translated. So it's the message itself not the translation services.

Last edited:
She also knew it was Day 11 testing the day before she sent the kid to school. She didn't even wait for the test result which you are instructed to do.

I'm not sure we can sh*t-can the health department for this one but clarity is key henceforth so there's no excuse.im future

Materials are translated. So it's the message itself not the translation services.

I would start from the assumption that seeing as she has complied with the quarantine for the others and kept the third child home for 10 days that she was trying to do the right thing and somehow there was confusion. If she got a message saying "child x and child y have now tested negative, your kids are now fine to return to school" for example.

The key is to make sure they learn from this incident and understand where vulnerabilities exist.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Holy sh*t.

France +26,676
UK +26,688
Spain + 16,973
Italy +15,199
Germany + 10,457
Poland + 10,040
Belgium + 9,679
Netherlands + 8,743
Czechia + 8,841
Switzerland + 5,596

Probably finding more due to greater testing so more than likely cases were alot higher during the first wave. Goes without saying though.

Say it again. Thank Allah, Buddah and Yehova we live at the arse-end of the planet.

Holy sh*t.

France +26,676
UK +26,688
Spain + 16,973
Italy +15,199
Germany + 10,457
Poland + 10,040
Belgium + 9,679
Netherlands + 8,743
Czechia + 8,841
Switzerland + 5,596
Should put things into perspective.

The government stuffed up the hotel quarantine, but got the required result with their actions afterwards.

It will be up to the next election to see if the public agree that the pain was worth not going through what Europe is now experiencing.

And to think, they are only entering into winter, going to get a lot worse in the Northern Hemisphere before it gets better.

Should put things into perspective.

The government stuffed up the hotel quarantine, but got the required result with their actions afterwards.

It will be up to the next election to see if the public agree that the pain was worth not going through what Europe is now experiencing.

And to think, they are only entering into winter, going to get a lot worse in the Northern Hemisphere before it gets better.
Or maybe it shows that we're just delaying the inevitable. Nothing wrong with that but eventually the country will have to open up to tourism again and we'll probably just learn to live with COVID like we do with the flu and colds.

Or maybe it shows that we're just delaying the inevitable. Nothing wrong with that but eventually the country will have to open up to tourism again and we'll probably just learn to live with COVID like we do with the flu and colds.
I think the only way that will happen is if a vaccine doesn't eventuate.

It would take a crazy stupid government in Australia to open up until the vaccine is either available or is shown not to work.

Tourism will mean; -neg test country of origin, test and 2 week quarantine on arrival you would possibly think.
Might be good for the young backpacker / work student visa types.
Who knows ? Wouldn't expect 1000's of chinese on a quick 10 day stay.

Tourism will mean; -neg test country of origin, test and 2 week quarantine on arrival you would possibly think.
Might be good for the young backpacker / work student visa types.
Who knows ? Wouldn't expect 1000's of chinese on a quick 10 day stay.
You’ll also have extended bubbles, Korea, not the north kind, Japan and the south Pacific. We’ll be able to travel freely around the non covid places.

everywhere else in the world will be treated like they have the cooties.

I doubt China falls into the above, even if they are covid free since ‘93

You’ll also have extended bubbles, Korea, not the north kind, Japan and the south Pacific. We’ll be able to travel freely around the non covid places.

everywhere else in the world rightly will be like they have the cooties.

" not the North kind........"

Mrs. H. has a long lost uncle there from '53.

Most S. Koreans 90% + happy to see the DMZ stay. Believe me.
E-commerce, economy, would take a massive massive hit initially but would ultimately solve the China issue, as a unified Korea would be a super power in the long run. It’d dwarf the rising sun imo. And I’m sure most Koreans would jump on board if they could take culturally appropriated Jeju Cows back.

#realwagu

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back