Analysis Coronavirus - The Impact IV “Phasing into the New Normal”

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is incredibly good news. If we've rolled out antibody testing (assuming it's in the hundreds at least) towards possible past carriers and only picked up two (along with zero new active cases), then it's strong evidence community transmission is minimal.
It seems to me there is a direct correlation between population density and infection rates. In WA, SA and most of Australia with the odd exception most of the cases in the community didn't lead to mass outbreaks, similarly in Scandanavia where pop density is low Norway and Finland have had no increase in average annual deaths, even Sweden who didn't lock down have fared better than a lot of places and most of their cases are in Stockholm where pop density is higher. In Spain and Italy where a lot of people live in apartments even in smaller towns it has spread like wildfire, similar in New York, London and on a smaller scale cruise ships. The virus feeds on itself and the more concentrated it is in a community the more virulent it seems to be.
We have much to be thankful for.

It seems to me there is a direct correlation between population density and infection rates. In WA, SA and most of Australia with the odd exception most of the cases in the community didn't lead to mass outbreaks, similarly in Scandanavia where pop density is low Norway and Finland have had no increase in average annual deaths, even Sweden who didn't lock down have fared better than a lot of places and most of their cases are in Stockholm where pop density is higher. In Spain and Italy where a lot of people live in apartments even in smaller towns it has spread like wildfire, similar in New York, London and on a smaller scale cruise ships. The virus feeds on itself and the more concentrated it is in a community the more virulent it seems to be.
We have much to be thankful for.

Yep, exactly. Social distancing is key but in places like New York City good luck practising it all day on the subway, walking to work, using taxis, shopping at the bodega on the corner etc etc. No surprise the virus spreads the fastest (and hits the hardest) in the megacities. Tokyo and Sao Paulo etc will be the next epicentres as the virus takes hold there. Mexico City is already struggling. To China's credit from all accounts they locked down hard - very hard - to ensure it did not take hold in Beijing, Shanghai etc and lead to cataclysmic numbers.

It would indeed be nice to get a better population balance between Perth & the rest of the state.
IMO the main obstacle is employment. COVID forcing a heap of people to work from home this year might shift things a bit. It has certainly given video conferencing a good kick-along.

It would indeed be nice to get a better population balance between Perth & the rest of the state.
IMO the main obstacle is employment. COVID forcing a heap of people to work from home this year might shift things a bit. It has certainly given video conferencing a good kick-along.
Just imagine what could be achieved with a world class broadband network. Thanks Mal.

Just imagine what could be achieved with a world class broadband network. Thanks Mal.
I conduct a lot of my business activities over internet, including regular videoconferencing with people over East. I have never had an issue with bandwidth. NBN is far from perfect but how much more bandwidth do we actually need?

On top of that, even back in 2007 when Kevin 07 push the NBN, it was clear that fixed line communications was not the future. The NBN is a white elephant, in 12-18 months when 5G is mainstream, people will be getting similar or better speeds over wireless. I'm thankful that successive governments curtailed some of the spend of the NBN rollout, though in hindsight, they could have cut it back more.

I conduct a lot of my business activities over internet, including regular videoconferencing with people over East. I have never had an issue with bandwidth. NBN is far from perfect but how much more bandwidth do we actually need?

On top of that, even back in 2007 when Kevin 07 push the NBN, it was clear that fixed line communications was not the future. The NBN is a white elephant, in 12-18 months when 5G is mainstream, people will be getting similar or better speeds over wireless. I'm thankful that successive governments curtailed some of the spend of the NBN rollout, though in hindsight, they could have cut it back more.

This is really badly wrong. The back-haul to the mobile towers will all be fibre, and data will be much cheaper still over people's home fibre connections.

Fibre speeds will always improve faster than wireless speeds. Faster wireless speeds happen at shorter ranges. Hills still stop wireless so you'll still get dead spots all over the place. One creative person can hog all the bandwidth from a single mobile tower regardless of how much bandwidth that is. You don't see it now because mobile providers do not offer unlimited data plans (no, endless data plans are not the same thing as you get shaped to slow ADSL speed once you hit a soft cap).

Of course, the nerfed implementation of the NBN means most people won't get the speeds fibre is capable of (fibre to the node uses VDSL over copper for the last part of the connection which can't go past 100Mb/s, and don't get me started on HFC), so the NBN will require an upgrade in a few years to fibre to the home, which will be more expensive than just building that in the first place.

Disclaimer: I work for an internet provider, and have done so for 18 years all up, and while I'm by no means an expert on the topic, I've picked up enough to know when someone is talking from a position of blissful ignorance.

P.S. How much more bandwidth do we actually need is like saying why would we ever need more than 640k RAM? It's a question that just sounds dumber every year since it was originally asked.

I don't have NBN (got tired of waiting for it whilst in 300kbps ADSL). I have fixed wireless point to point which gives me about twice the maximum speed the NBN can achieve. :p

I don't have NBN (got tired of waiting for it whilst in 300kbps ADSL). I have fixed wireless point to point which gives me about twice the maximum speed the NBN can achieve. :p
For now, until the service is over subscribed, then wait for them to upgrade their equipment to handle more users. ;)

For now, until the service is over subscribed, then wait for them to upgrade their equipment to handle more users. ;)
I live less than 5 minutes from my tower. It hasn't slowed down in 3 years. They actually unlocked my speed for free (I was initially limited to 100mbps) when NBN became available in my area last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I lucked into an apartment with fibre to the premises. Not sure it's helped me avoid COVID though.
I'm pretty sure the virus is just as adept at travelling along fibre cable as it is along 5g microwave wavelength so you are right.:cool:

McGowan dropping the mic against the AFL and finally taking the line I was hoping he would take at the beginning, in that 1) Happy to have football but in the not always travelling model and 2) Tilt your anger against the AFL and the other clubs, and not government led rules.
When I head home to Queensland, I want to take this bloke with me..deadset gun.

Gee i'm not sure i would want to be an AFL player with the lock down rules they have to follow. They are not robots, and should be allowed to have some down time, these rules are ****ing crazy.

AFL players banned from golf, VFL may restart with just eight teams
AFL

The AFL has a date for the season relaunch.
But the players need to follow a strict set of rules in order for the season to run smoothly.

STRICT RULES FOR AFL PLAYERS
Golf and surfing are among two sports off limits to AFL players for the remainder of the 2020 season.
With the AFL fighting hard to get training underway on Monday – before starting matches from June 11 – players have been given a memo 40 pages long outlining protocols they must following.
According to The Age, AFL players will not be able to surf, play a round of golf or take their kids to a playground under the league's return to play rules.
However, players are able to go and visit their partners even if they don’t live together. AFL players are unable to welcome visitors into their homes, even though families members are not bound by the same restrictions.
Among the other restricted activities reported, AFL players can’t sit down in cafes, go fishing or boating, hold a picnic, have dinner at a friend’s place or perform volunteer/community work.

Players will be given a full tutorial of rules on Monday when non-contract training resumes across the board.

Gee i'm not sure i would want to be an AFL player with the lock down rules they have to follow. They are not robots, and should be allowed to have some down time, these rules are ******* crazy.

AFL players banned from golf, VFL may restart with just eight teams
AFL

The AFL has a date for the season relaunch.
But the players need to follow a strict set of rules in order for the season to run smoothly.

STRICT RULES FOR AFL PLAYERS
Golf and surfing are among two sports off limits to AFL players for the remainder of the 2020 season.
With the AFL fighting hard to get training underway on Monday – before starting matches from June 11 – players have been given a memo 40 pages long outlining protocols they must following.
According to The Age, AFL players will not be able to surf, play a round of golf or take their kids to a playground under the league's return to play rules.
However, players are able to go and visit their partners even if they don’t live together. AFL players are unable to welcome visitors into their homes, even though families members are not bound by the same restrictions.
Among the other restricted activities reported, AFL players can’t sit down in cafes, go fishing or boating, hold a picnic, have dinner at a friend’s place or perform volunteer/community work.

Players will be given a full tutorial of rules on Monday when non-contract training resumes across the board.
Thats draconian. I cant see how most of those activities are of any risk. Have the AFLPA ticked this off? I can see some.major mental health issues arrising from this for players with underlying issues,, even those witjout to be honest. You cant stop these guys from actually living for 6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back