Analysis Coronavirus - The Impact IV “Phasing into the New Normal”

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

that link has how many we have tested weekly.

Also a good link to compare each state.

Those numbers for Monday and Tuesday are worryingly small though.

Good to see though that NSW and Victoria ramped up their testing by huge amounts - inevitably would lead to more positive cases but the fact they are relatively small is a good indicator that community transmission is limited.

Those numbers for Monday and Tuesday are worryingly small though.

Good to see though that NSW and Victoria ramped up their testing by huge amounts - inevitably would lead to more positive cases but the fact they are relatively small is a good indicator that community transmission is limited.

Yeah it wasn't good.

It's good to see the context on the Vic cases today (also the ~9000 tests).

9 cases - 3 in quarantine (overseas travel), 3 from Cedar Meats (have to be in isolation so hopefully they have had limited chance to spread the virus), 2 from Fawkner Maccas (family members - also isolated). One presented at hospital.

Looks like the community transmission is flattening again which is good.

It's good to see the context on the Vic cases today (also the ~9000 tests).

9 cases - 3 in quarantine (overseas travel), 3 from Cedar Meats (have to be in isolation so hopefully they have had limited chance to spread the virus), 2 from Fawkner Maccas (family members - also isolated). One presented at hospital.

Looks like the community transmission is flattening again which is good.

Also remarkable Australia is still under 7000 cases. Think someone a couple of months ago predicted on current trends we'd exceed that mark in early April. We passed 6000 on April 8 and still haven't added the next thousand after 36 days.

For perspective, New York already started adding 1000 cases a day on March 17, and 58 days later still haven't dipped back under that benchmark.

Also remarkable Australia is still under 7000 cases. Think someone a couple of months ago predicted on current trends we'd exceed that mark in early April. We passed 6000 on April 8 and still haven't added the next thousand after 36 days.

For perspective, New York already started adding 1000 cases a day on March 17, and 58 days later still haven't dipped back under that benchmark.

May have been Dylan? He had a bit of the inside word I think being in a Govt role. Some of his posts were pretty ****ing scary two months ago. I haven't seen him post at all lately but hope he's still checking in and doing well.

May have been Dylan? He had a bit of the inside word I think being in a Govt role. Some of his posts were pretty ******* scary two months ago. I haven't seen him post at all lately but hope he's still checking in and doing well.

He was quite the alarmist.

Vic and NSW churning out some big testing numbers lately. Does anyone have the data on how our testing % of population compares to them lately? We've been doing much less, but I figure there's much less of us.

There is a bar chart of tests per 100 000 by state.
It was SA clearly in front then NSW for weeks on end. Vic has recently put in a big effort having been on a par with WA. I think in NSW it is now limited by the number that will present for testing so this may also e flattening the national curve as well (for testing).
WA - well it hasnt been a highlight.

May have been Dylan? He had a bit of the inside word I think being in a Govt role. Some of his posts were pretty ******* scary two months ago. I haven't seen him post at all lately but hope he's still checking in and doing well.

He was quite the alarmist.

Perhaps, but he was correct in the prediction of skyrocketing cases and deaths if our governments did not take urgent and strict action.

We're in the fortunate position where we can moan the restrictions were an overreaction because we haven't had to dig mass graves, and whinge that it's unfair our favourite professional sports team have to spend some time away to get prepared for a re-started season. The Australian response so far has been top class.

it looked extremely bleak two months ago. there were times i felt better to catch it and get over done with it

thankfully the government sorted it out. i just really hope a cure or sufficient treatment is found to shut down these doomsayers in the media. some of the stuff that even WHO have been sprouting is extremely demoralising.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McGowan dropping the mic against the AFL and finally taking the line I was hoping he would take at the beginning, in that 1) Happy to have football but in the not always travelling model and 2) Tilt your anger against the AFL and the other clubs, and not government led rules.

'm sure you've heard a bit about the ongoing deliberations regarding the AFL and our Western Australian teams.

Like many West Aussies I wish we could watch some footy, but this year is like none before.

Getting the AFL season going would be great for morale, if it meets the health advice.

But - and I've been very clear about this - we WILL NOT be granting exemptions at this point to allow teams from over east to fly in and out of WA on a weekly basis.
We won't compromise on our hard border and risk the health of West Australians.
Early on in their planning, the AFL were looking into using a hub system to get the season restarted - hosting a number of teams in set locations for a stretch of time so they could all play one another.
As a State Government we were supportive of that proposal, we embraced it and prepared to accommodate a hub in Western Australia.
But I think the idea of Victoria teams having to base themselves in WA for a month or so, was all too difficult. So the WA hub model was quickly off the agenda.
This was obviously disappointing, and put our WA teams in a difficult position.
The State Government, through the Chief Health Officer and the Police Commissioner, have been working collaboratively with the AFL to try to find a way forward.
For example, we've been working with the West Coast Eagles and Fremantle Dockers to support their return to training, based on the best health advice.
Their players will be able to use their private gyms from Monday, and engage in contact training a week later.
We'd also be prepared to make similar exemptions for other teams to facilitate the hubs model in WA.
The Eagles and the Dockers have been terrific out of this. It's a credit to our two WA teams just how professional they have been through this, I've been proud of their response and willingness to do what was necessary to help get the season underway.
Unfortunately, it appears the Victorian-based clubs have got their own way again and put the Eagles and Dockers, as well as the South Australian teams, in tough positions.
It's disappointing, but it's hardly surprising the pampered Victorian clubs have rode roughshod over the AFL and the expanded competition.
Any WA fan knows it well - our teams have just never had a fair run.
They travel thousands of kilometres every week while some Melbourne based teams get two straight months without even leaving the MCG.
But we can be proud of our two WA teams, and the fact is victory will be even sweeter for them once the season gets underway.
And given the outcomes for this terribly disrupted season I would hope the two WA teams are given more local fixtures in the seasons ahead.
That could even include Collingwood being forced to travel to WA twice in a year.

That is a bit of a reckless article. Virus don't spread with 100% infection of contact, like a liquid does. It is also irresponsible for that news outlet to be running a fear campaign against going to restaurants at a time when they are on their knees and in desperate need of customers to help them survive. Let's maintain hygiene but move forward within current restrictions, as we need to figure out how far we can relax things so that our economy can start recovering.

McGowan dropping the mic against the AFL and finally taking the line I was hoping he would take at the beginning, in that 1) Happy to have football but in the not always travelling model and 2) Tilt your anger against the AFL and the other clubs, and not government led rules.

Love it, I imagine us and Freo fans would have had a raging hard-on after reading that.

That is a bit of a reckless article. Virus don't spread with 100% infection of contact, like a liquid does. It is also irresponsible for that news outlet to be running a fear campaign against going to restaurants at a time when they are on their knees and in desperate need of customers to help them survive. Let's maintain hygiene but move forward within current restrictions, as we need to figure out how far we can relax things so that our economy can start recovering.
A news outlet running a fear champaign! I am surprised:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back