Analysis Coronavirus - The Impact IV “Phasing into the New Normal”

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can probably note the ones taking potshots at each other are on opposite sides of politics. That being said their points are actually probably both right from their own point of view.

From a NSW point of view - They want to get the economy going with the current levels they have as they are extremely low on a world scale They have a higher level of infection than the states they are requesting to open borders with so not much to lose on that front.

From a Qld/WA POV - keep you filthy Rona infested people out of my state.
NSW has 3000 in quarantine - the price you pay for being the nations gateway. But the reality is ther is buigger all in the community and less community spread.Two today in a population of 7.5m and one was from Vic.
Will the states that lock down their borders want economic support later on?

NSW has 3000 in quarantine - the price you pay for being the nations gateway. But the reality is ther is buigger all in the community and less community spread.Two today in a population of 7.5m and one was from Vic.

It's not like trade is suspended between States - the only major impact is to tourism and hospitality and that's virtually wiped out anyway and will be for some time to come even if interstate restrictions are lifted - and they will be lifted, eventually. Better safe than sorry.

Picking one day is what you do when you're trying to get people to agree without having them look deeper. How many cases in the last two weeks and how many of those are unknown source?

(I genuinely don't know, and this is a genuine question).

And of course the states that lock their borders will want economic support later on, along with the states that didn't. The economy is going to be hurt badly regardless.

Where do you think we are? The USA?
Plus Queensland and WA have paid much more than their fair share over the years from all their mining revenue.

U are obviously dreaming - GST is locked in by formula

No shit. But for the federal government to hold back on states like WA at a time like this after we've always contributed much, much more than what we get back GST-wise would be pathetic.

Picking one day is what you do when you're trying to get people to agree without having them look deeper. How many cases in the last two weeks and how many of those are unknown source?

(I genuinely don't know, and this is a genuine question).

And of course the states that lock their borders will want economic support later on, along with the states that didn't. The economy is going to be hurt badly regardless.
one day - you are dreaming - check the locally acquired cases over weeks

Last edited:
I think NSW have controlled things pretty well considering their initial numbers and the cruise ship debacle. With the daily numbers they were having it could have been very ugly.

Isn't that what I just asked you for? How about a link or something?
health-NSW -look at all the post codes in sydney alone with zero acrive cases. Good heat map.
For all of of 7.5m people there were 10 cases in the week 16 May and 20 the week before. Usually at least half are from OS.

Life is pretty normal - media aside.
I am not into state V state agry bargy, I have lived in the all.
There hare clusted that are under control - the good old aged care facility is one but no new cases there for a week after an imposed change of manager.

health-NSW -look at all the post codes in sydney alone with zero acrive cases. Good heat map.
For all of of 7.5m people there were 10 cases in the week 16 May and 20 the week before. Usually at least half are from OS.

Life is pretty normal - media aside.
I am not into state V state agry bargy, I have lived in the all.
There hare clusted that are under control - the good old aged care facility is one but no new cases there for a week after an imposed change of manager.

Thanks. That's really useful. I've bookmarked it so I can keep an eye on it.

385 currently active cases for NSW, seemingly really spread out (Penrith area the only real hotspot). I would not open the borders yet based on this data, but I'd review that decision every couple of weeks. Definitely trending in the right direction.

U are obviously dreaming - GST is locked in by formula
It is, sort of. Reviewed periodically but one thing is for sure. WA has been screwed in the GST collected/GST paid stakes forever.

Here is the 2018-19 figures, with WA getting 47c back for every 100c collected. And that was a big increase from 2017-18!

State GST share per dollar
VIC 98c
WA 47c
NSW 85c
SA $1.47
Tas $1.77
ACT $1.18
NT $4.26
Qld $1.09

And as was said by the WA Treasurer...
"This is now the sixth year in a row that Western Australia has not even received half of its population share of the GST," he said. "No other state has received less than 67 per cent since 1942-43."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks. That's really useful. I've bookmarked it so I can keep an eye on it.

385 currently active cases for NSW, seemingly really spread out (Penrith area the only real hotspot). I would not open the borders yet based on this data, but I'd review that decision every couple of weeks. Definitely trending in the right direction.
Cheers, its been days since I hace see people dying in the street.
The big blunder - ship aside which is slowly being dug into - is a single aged care facility. The carer reported sick but was told 'we are short of staff so please get in here':eek:

As for the ship it is the same line that was recently fined $60M for dumping sewage. I think we will see that they take a great deal of the blame - that and passengers who signed a declaration to self isolate ignored it - there has since been quite a good bit of cultural change within the community.

By tomorrow NSW will have tested 400 000

It is, sort of. Reviewed periodically but one thing is for sure. WA has been screwed in the GST collected/GST paid stakes forever.

Here is the 2018-19 figures, with WA getting 47c back for every 100c collected. And that was a big increase from 2017-18!

VIC 98c
WA 47c
NSW 85c
SA $1.47
Tas $1.77
ACT $1.18
NT $4.26
Qld $1.09

secede - keep the bloody border closed. 😋

VIC 98c
WA 47c
NSW 85c
SA $1.47
Tas $1.77
ACT $1.18
NT $4.26
Qld $1.09

The GST formula is a load of crap too. It includes mining royalties as income but not gambling revenue (eg pokies). Indigineous population is seen as requiring more share of GST as they need more services, but they calculate this per capita rather than raw numbers. This is why NT gets a lot of GST per capita but WA doesn't, despite WA having a similar or larger number of inidigenous population.

hydroxychloroquine
When I used to fly C-130 Hercules to PNG we would take it for the time we were there. It was a pretty old drug with known effects. The thing we were always briefed on was 'only for time needed' and 'whatever you do, don't exceed dosage limits'.

That's the problem. Some of the dosages suggested for C-19 are at the upper end of the scale and more likely to bring on the side effects. The worst of these were (and I assume still are) are heart issues and vision problems, even blindness, possibly permanent.
When i did a stint in PNG as a grad engineer i was put on malarone. Some interesting side effects to say the least.

When i did a stint in PNG as a grad engineer i was put on malarone. Some interesting side effects to say the least.
Depending on where in the world (resistant strains etc.) and how long we were given chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine or doxycycline. That was a fun one as it was also used to cure the clap. Some took absolute advantage of that.

If you don’t mind me asking, what were the side effects mate? I’m genuinely interested as I’ve been on Malarone regularly in the past because of work stints up to 6 weeks in sub-Saharan Africa and suffered no iil-effects. I’d like to know in case I’m offered similar roles.

Included in a referendum or the like - some time in the 70's. You will have to research the details

According to this, Lang Hancock fielded a pro-secession candidate in the 1970's but that's all I can find. The only referendum in the 70s was a daylight savings one (two of four).

VIC 98c
WA 47c
NSW 85c
SA $1.47
Tas $1.77
ACT $1.18
NT $4.26
Qld $1.09

We had GST in 1943?

Status