Cotchin to the Demons a possibility?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mickent

Debutant
Sep 29, 2005
Melboure
AFL Club
Melbourne
Posted this on the Demons board but wanted to get the opinions of people who watch a lot more junior footy than I do on whether this would seem like a real possibility?

If Carlton don't trade pick 1 it looks pretty certain that they will take Kreuzer.

Richmond look like trading with the Eagles for Mitch Morton which would definitely strengthen the possibility of them taking Cale Morton at pick 2.

West Coast with pick 3 might then be a little gun shy about taking Cotchin after just losing Judd to the go home factor. Not sure if comments about him not wanting to go to the Eagles would hold much weight, but the strength of the local WA talent must mean that they would seriously consider taking one of them with pick 3: Masten, Palmer, Myers or Rance. Is this realistic or is there too big a gap between Cotchin and these players for the 'local boy' factor to influence it?

That would leave Cotchin available for the Demons at pick 4. Would love some thoughts on how realistic it is that this could happen?

It doesn't sound completely out of the realm of possibility but the eagles have (to this point in time) always stuck with the 'best available player' approach without regard to position/geographics.

Of course it goes without saying that if Eagles were warded off by the prospect of Cotchin returning home, that they would declare the draftee they did take as 'the best available player at that pick.'

If i was in charge of the Eagles recruiting & had pick 3 at my disposal i would definetly take the best WA player available,then there is no chance of the 'go home' factor coming in to play again,so the posssibility of Trent Cotchin being available at pick 4 is a strong chance!

I think you might be onto something. Just heard Miller on SEN and reading between the lines I got a sense that he was leaning towards Morton at 2. When KB pressed him about richmond fans wanting Cotchin at 2 he laughed it off. (Personally I'd go down to Punt Rd and burn the place down if we did.)
Still think the Eagles would take Cotchin at 3 though, they're apparently very high on him.

If Cotchin gets to 3, then we will take him, I have no doubt. He is rated very highly over here - and Blitzer is right, the WCE have always taken the best available player despite demographics.
However im not ruling out the tigers picking him up yet, despite Mitch going there.

If Cotchin gets to 3, then we will take him, I have no doubt. He is rated very highly over here - and Blitzer is right, the WCE have always taken the best available player despite demographics.
However im not ruling out the tigers picking him up yet, despite Mitch going there.

Weren't you pushing Masten on the Carlton board? :confused:

I think you might be onto something. Just heard Miller on SEN and reading between the lines I got a sense that he was leaning towards Morton at 2. When KB pressed him about richmond fans wanting Cotchin at 2 he laughed it off. (Personally I'd go down to Punt Rd and burn the place down if we did.)
Still think the Eagles would take Cotchin at 3 though, they're apparently very high on him.

Morning All... one thing that i like to keep in mind at this time of year is that the recruiting officers have a much better idea of what is going on that we do.

In 2005, Collingwood supporters were CONVINCED that we were drafting Ellis and Hurn... and that if we didnt we were doing an injustice to our supporters, the club etc...

However, we ended up with Pendelbury and Thomas... I think if you go and ask the same Collingwood supporters now what they think, they may have changed their tune slightly.

Im not slanging Cotchin, nor am I saying Collingwood was right in their picks in 2005 (the 10year careers will determine that), all im saying is that most of us make up our minds on limited TAC games, other peoples perceptions etc... so it might be a good idea to have a look at the prospective top 15-20, and think about why some might go higher or lower...

If people really believe WCE should go with WA talent, then that means they think that in 2001 they should have gone Polak before Judd. And anyone who argues that is an idiot.

If i was in charge of the Eagles recruiting & had pick 3 at my disposal i would definetly take the best WA player available,then there is no chance of the 'go home' factor coming in to play again,so the posssibility of Trent Cotchin being available at pick 4 is a strong chance!

Picking Judd at 3 hasn't really panned out well for the Eagles. I can see why the Eagles wouldn't want to make the same mistake twice.

The fear of the go-home factor is just stupid. Would the Eagles seriously reconsider drafting Judd in the first place? They got a lot out of him and most would expect them to get considerable compensation for losing him, even if Carlton do have a bit of an upper hand. Fergus Watts went home to the ire of many Crows fans, but we got #17 in return, which in retrospect was an excellent deal. We got a very talented home grown boy, Pfeiffer, despite some off field issues, I'd do the deal again and again. Also those issues exemplify the inherent gamble in recruiting any player no matter where they are from. There are much more important issues to consider.

Best available in the first round!

Picking Judd at 3 hasn't really panned out well for the Eagles. I can see why the Eagles wouldn't want to make the same mistake twice.
Yep - If Cotchin only won a Brownlow, Norm Smith and captained them to a premiership before getting them a handsome trade price, they'd be absolutely devastated with that return.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No way in the world Cotchin will last til 4.

I dont think he will get past the Tigers at 2. If he does, we will be all over him like a bad rash at 3.

People who say Judd hasn't worked out for WCE are deluded. He's been fantastic for them and they should get something decent in return.

Well they are somewhat limited by demographics, as they are restricted as to which minimum age they can draft :D.

Geographics though have never really been an issue and I don't think they will be this year either. Judd is the exeption to the rule at West Coast. They have only ever really lost Gehrig and Judd, but retained most of the others on the list.

WC will take Cotcin. 100%. If hes taken at 2 we will take Masten. I would say there is more of a go home factor on Masten. Hopefully he does.

The fear of the go-home factor is just stupid. Would the Eagles seriously reconsider drafting Judd in the first place? They got a lot out of him and most would expect them to get considerable compensation for losing him, even if Carlton do have a bit of an upper hand. Fergus Watts went home to the ire of many Crows fans, but we got #17 in return, which in retrospect was an excellent deal. We got a very talented home grown boy, Pfeiffer, despite some off field issues, I'd do the deal again and again. Also those issues exemplify the inherent gamble in recruiting any player no matter where they are from. There are much more important issues to consider.

Best available in the first round!

it's different for different situations obviously..

But his father has come out and said he doesn't want his son going there, so in this situation there is a good possibility that after 2 years he will leave anyway.

Judd wasn't so fourth right with his displeasure at going interstate.

It obviously again comes down to individual situations, but why waste 2 years and a no.3 pick on developing a young kid who theres a good chance will leave within 2 years.

You might as well pick a kid who is and could be just as good, who hasn't got the trepadation in going to WC.

But his father has come out and said he doesn't want his son going there, so in this situation there is a good possibility that after 2 years he will leave anyway.

It obviously again comes down to individual situations, but why waste 2 years and a no.3 pick on developing a young kid who theres a good chance will leave within 2 years.

You might as well pick a kid who is and could be just as good, who hasn't got the trepadation in going to WC.

That article on Cotchin's dad was misrepresented.

Trevor Woodhouse had spoken to Mr Cotchin the night before and while he said he had questions for WC, he was happy for his son to go anywhere.

If people knew the stuff the club had put in place to overcome these off field problems, they'd feel comfortable about their son coming over.

if Richmond are interested in Mitch Morton it doesn't mean we are interested in his brother the Tigers will draft the best available with pick 2 and according to all those in the know its Cotchin

From memory, McKinley cried when he got drafted by West Coast, but nothing has been written about his desire to go home (although mentioned as a trade possibility - so who knows). I think what Cotchin thinks know, or his parents think now, is somewhat irrelevant to what he will think in 2 years time. The Eagles have a pretty good player welfare program, and you only need to look at other Victorians who when they were drafted would have been pretty unhappy to go West (Selwood, Hansen, Braun, Rosa), but look like future leaders of teh club and nobody would suggest they want to go home.

I tihnk each individual is different, and I am sure the West Coast staff have faith in their welfare program and football club to convince Cotchin over 2 years that West Coast aren't such a bad club. So I have no doubt if he is available at 3, the Eagles will fall over themselves to call out his number and disregard any possibility of what may happen in two years.

From memory, McKinley cried when he got drafted by West Coast, but nothing has been written about his desire to go home (although mentioned as a trade possibility - so who knows). I think what Cotchin thinks know, or his parents think now, is somewhat irrelevant to what he will think in 2 years time. The Eagles have a pretty good player welfare program, and you only need to look at other Victorians who when they were drafted would have been pretty unhappy to go West (Selwood, Hansen, Braun, Rosa), but look like future leaders of teh club and nobody would suggest they want to go home.

I tihnk each individual is different, and I am sure the West Coast staff have faith in their welfare program and football club to convince Cotchin over 2 years that West Coast aren't such a bad club. So I have no doubt if he is available at 3, the Eagles will fall over themselves to call out his number and disregard any possibility of what may happen in two years.
Rumours are McKinley wants to stay but we may not be able to fit him on our list (will depend on any Judd/Morton trades). He has changed his tune greatly since he has come over and doesn't want to return home.

Everyone is saying Cotchin will want to go home, but how come no one is saying that Masten, Palmer and Morton will last until our second round picks because all the Victorian teams know they will go home?

I think it is likely.

What WCE wants is Masten and Palmer. Otherwise Palmer will go to Freo.

That's why we need another high pick, better than 7.

I think the fact that Woodhouse has spent significnt time with Cotchin and his family since the Judd announcement suggests that he is our prime target. It will all depend on Richmond I guess.

I for one would prefer Masten (over Palmer if Cotchin is gone) as I think he works harder defensively than Palmer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cotchin to the Demons a possibility?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back