Cotchin

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My impression was that he was caught in two minds about what to do and in the heat of the moment made contact a bit late.

Unfortunately for him Wright ended up pretty crook and had to go to hospital, because it was late and did some damage it is unlikely he will do well with the MRP Wheel of Misfortune.

Agree with this.I feel he will get one week as he has a good record also it shouldnt have been 50 meters as he hadnt even completed the mark.

It will be very interesting how it all plays out I reckon , is it any different from blind sidding a player ?
Whether that be similar to the one when Angus Graham got cleaned up last week or the ever growing trend of Blind sidding and cleaning players up who are standing on the mark ?

Should get 3-4 weeks.

Anyone complaining about Cotchin's act sending the opponent to hospital needs to realise that if Cotchin was a split second earlier he could have made the legal spoil and still sent the man to hospital. Really, was the intention to send him to hospital? I don't think so. Cotchin just wanted to rough him up.. at best!

It is a contact sport and people get hurt!!!

Anyone complaining about Cotchin's act sending the opponent to hospital needs to realise that if Cotchin was a split second earlier he could have made the legal spoil and still sent the man to hospital. Really, was the intention to send him to hospital? I don't think so. Cotchin just wanted to rough him up.. at best!

It is a contact sport and people get hurt!!!

*puzzled* If he was a second earlier he would of played the ball not the player and Wright wouldnt be in hospital.

Cotchin isnt a dirty player (those who read the GDT thread will see I called him scum, it was anger at the situation not an actual reflection of how he plays), and that will be factored into any tribunal decision, whatever he gets will be severely reduced, could find himself just having carry over points if lucky.

Look. I saw it clear as day.

Cotch was running in with the intention to mark the ball, when Sammy backed back and made first position to mark.

Cotchin the turned side on and got Sammy with the shoulder.

I personally don't think he was intending to be malicious, but you must always make the ball your first objective.

This is where young Trent stuffed up, and he is going to have to pay a penalty for that.

2 weeks.

Pretty much how I saw it, unfortunate, but as Cotchin doesn't play for Collingwood and his name isn't C.Judd he will get a couple of weeks.

What he did was dangerous and not in the spirit of the game.

6 weeks!!

Reduced to 3 or 4 depending on early plea and previous record.

Should get 3-4 weeks.

The stupidity of BF posters never fails to amaze me, how can you call yourself footy fans if you get that worked up over late contact, it was just very unlucky that that the kid ended up with concussion, its a contact sport FFS and people are going to get hurt in accidents which is unfortunate but a part of the game.
If this upsets you so much you are probably following the wrong sport and should try lawn bowls or darts, unlikely that people will get hurt in those games so you can rest easy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tough when North players' knees fold like a house of cards. Dishonest football.

If the Tiger fans want to talk about the Roos being dishonest then we have entered the a new relm of stupidity.

What was a lot more dishonest yesterday was the Tigers lack of effort at the contested football. Wet weather football is hard work and the Tigers found it to hard - that to me is the real dishonest effort yesterday.

If the Tiger fans want to talk about the Roos being dishonest then we have entered the a new relm of stupidity.

What was a lot more dishonest yesterday was the Tigers lack of effort at the contested football. Wet weather football is hard work and the Tigers found it to hard - that to me is the real dishonest effort yesterday.

Was referring only to the penchant for diving forward in the tackle. North have used this effectively against us in the past. Umpires these days do not have a "feel" for the game, and are not permitted to show discretion.

Didn't think we were dishonest in our efforts, just got worn down by a better side on the day who were physically stronger and more determined. Plus Hardwick was outcoached by Scott.

Probably been said but:

He doesn't have the last name of "Hille", so I would expect his to get 2-3 weeks, otherwise he'd get off.

I expect one week after an early plea.

Contact was not high but it was late and unlike Hille he not change his approach mid air, he pretty much took another step and then dipped the shoulder. He needed to have the other fist waving about to disguise it a bit better.

Would have probably got off if Wright had not been injured.

Probably get a couple. Silly choice, probably didn't go in to hurt the guy, but didn't make enough of an attempt to pull out to get off.

Shame, it's not typical for Cotchin.

well i think if Hille got off so should Cotchin. It shouldnt matter what your name is or what team you play for. it should be the incident that matters and i think because he was late he will get something but because there wasnt any head high contact and his good record i hope he can get off or only get a week... probley wont happen this way tho, he will probley get a couple :(

2 weeks would be right penalty, bad judgement more than an attempt to seriously hurt.
He realised straight away he stuffed up but he is not a dirty player.

Was referring only to the penchant for diving forward in the tackle. North have used this effectively against us in the past. Umpires these days do not have a "feel" for the game, and are not permitted to show discretion.

Didn't think we were dishonest in our efforts, just got worn down by a better side on the day who were physically stronger and more determined. Plus Hardwick was outcoached by Scott.

Not sure you have a feel for the game. There is no mention of North diving forward in any paper or in any media forum. The only comment I heard was that the Tigers need to learn to turn the player they are tackling instead of falling into their back. You get a hiding and call the winning team dishonest??

It was a pathetic effort from someone who is not normally associated with that kind of behaviour.

Should get 2-3 in my view for what was a reckless, unnecessary and forceful hit on someone who was in a susceptible position.

Bit of an overreaction in this thread. "Massive cheap shot"? Pfft, turn it up.

Forwards used to do that thing 10 times a game only a few years back if someone dropped into their space, let's not get too precious.

He'll probably get a week or two, but it was pretty pedestrian.
My thoughts. North supporters getting on their high horses have short memories. Archer, Carey, King et al did worse on a weekly basis back in the 90s. Everyone has a different view of such events, depending on whether their player was the victim or perpetrator. It was an error of judgement by Cotch and he'll probably pay the price. To suggest he's weak or a dog though, ignores the fact that apart from this one instance he's always the first to the ball, playing the ball, and has blokes jumping into his back every week.

I'm surprised ball players don't give more than the occasional short-arm jab to the real dogs whose objective and role is always the man first.

Not sure you have a feel for the game. There is no mention of North diving forward in any paper or in any media forum. The only comment I heard was that the Tigers need to learn to turn the player they are tackling instead of falling into their back. You get a hiding and call the winning team dishonest??

The 20-12 count speaks for itself.

Credit to North, they were first to the ball which is ultimately why they got the frees. I've made all the concessions I'm going to make, both on Cotchin and the match itself. Take your four points and be happy.

To those who keep bringing up what footy was like in the past, just remember how much footy has changed in the last 10 yrs, hell even within the last 12 months. I watched a game from 2000 the other day and was shocked at how different footy is now (Having not watched any old games in a few months).

Good article up on Norths website with an Interview of Daniel Pratt re: the AFLPA, says they will take action re: the tribunal asking for more consistency with reports, players are unhappy with the current standard of review as its too much like russian roulette, with harmless bumps getting weeks, and possibly career ending situations recieving none.

The players want rules set in stone so theres nothing that will leave them scratching their heads.

Pratt said the Cotchin-Wright clash showed how difficult it was for the panel to assess the modern game.

“The speed of the game has increased so much over the last 12 months that it'd just be good to have another look at it, I think - the points system and the carry-over points as well," he said.

“These split-second decisions you've got to make right on the spot, and it can be very difficult as a player, especially one of those ‘do I spoil or do I stay down’ (decisions).

"He (Cotchin) was a fraction late, but it might be disappointing for him tonight, I think.

"I think it's a bit out of character from Cotchin - he's generally a pretty fair player, so I wouldn't think anything like that would happen again with him."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back