Could the Pies do what the Lions of 03 did??

Remove this Banner Ad

Marvel 21

Rookie
Aug 20, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just believe, that we could go the hard way like the lions did in 03 when they went in as underdogs after their loss to the pies in the first final.. I do remember they had a prelim in sydney on a sat nite and came back to win and then go all the way..
Not comparing the teams but a similar situation. Dont want to be 7 goals down as we arent the best side in comebacks of that margin but I have this feeling that this side is really geared up and will stun the swannets in the first quarter.

At our best we can beat anyone and we've proven that, it's just weather we can get up and win the prelim first (after JMac's funeral). Because i'm confident if we go into the GF we will leave nothing behind.

Just believe, that we could go the hard way like the lions did in 03 when they went in as underdogs after their loss to the pies in the first final.. I do remember they had a prelim in sydney on a sat nite and came back to win and then go all the way..
Not comparing the teams but a similar situation. Dont want to be 7 goals down as we arent the best side in comebacks of that margin but I have this feeling that this side is really geared up and will stun the swannets in the first quarter.

Didn't the swans almost beat the lions in the prelim?

The pies have come into form at the right time. I think without a doubt you can go all the way ( I hope you dont).
Last weeks game was tough on your players and injury/ruck stocks may be your downfall.
However i think your teams desire and experience will be a great advantage. I would wish you luck but i would be lying.

The pies have come into form at the right time. I think without a doubt you can go all the way ( I hope you dont).
Last weeks game was tough on your players and injury/ruck stocks may be your downfall.
However i think your teams desire and experience will be a great advantage. I would wish you luck but i would be lying.
Timing is just about everything in footy - Pies have been on the razor edge all year, it remains to be seen if they can continue to carry the load and excel under pressure a further two weeks but they have certainly shown the courage and versatility so far.

21 of 24 PF have been won by the teams with the week off, since the top 8 changed to it's current format.

The 3 teams that did win through to the GF, also won the premiership.

Brisbane in 2003
Sydney in 2005
West Coast in 2006

Bitches gunna be mad! We are gonna win the flag this year! Bookmark it!

smith1.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

21 of 24 PF have been won by the teams with the week off, since the top 8 changed to it's current format.

The 3 teams that did win through to the GF, also won the premiership.

Brisbane in 2003
Sydney in 2005
West Coast in 2006

That's some strong stats there. Still, I think it's due to change and this year I reckon we will be the fourth team to do it :)

If we were able to win Friday it would give us 8 days to recover and we will be a massive chance if we are able to play like the last 3 qtrs against the Eagles I would not right us off.

The defence and Reidy in particular were outstanding and the midfield were not bad either if we get everything to click look out.
One ,massive difference I have notice is that we are starting to play as a team again and all boys are on the same page.We know we only have a 6 day turnaround but what a lot people forget is that many of out big guns have missed large portions of the season and as a consequence they will not be as stuffed as they were last year our luck must be due for a turnaround.

Whatever the outcome the players and Buckley have done an outstanding job but it must be time for ladyluck to smile on us Go the Pies.

At our best we can beat anyone and we've proven that, it's just weather we can get up and win the prelim first (after JMac's funeral). Because i'm confident if we go into the GF we will leave nothing behind.

We haven't proven that we can beat the Hawks and the Lions had the mental/physical edge on the pies despite ladder position and the QF win.

We haven't proven that we can beat the Hawks and the Lions had the mental/physical edge on the pies despite ladder position and the QF win.
History is littered with teams that carried all before them during the season only to run out of oomph or focus at the final hurdle. It's happened to Collingwood and will happen to others, so much of footy is governed by timing now.

We are coming into some decent form and its rising week by week, Hawks have been at a peak for most of the year. If they can sustain that peak for two more weeks they will most likely win - otherwise its open season.

History is littered with teams that carried all before them during the season only to run out of oomph or focus at the final hurdle. It's happened to Collingwood and will happen to others, so much of footy is governed by timing now.

We are coming into some decent form and its rising week by week, Hawks have been at a peak for most of the year. If they can sustain that peak for two more weeks they will most likely win - otherwise its open season.
I think if we get to the big dance we will win our stars are aligning and we bloody deserve it nobody has had more shit than us thrown at them or more injuries about time we got a go.:thumbsu:

I think if we get to the big dance we will win our stars are aligning and we bloody deserve it nobody has had more shit than us thrown at them or more injuries about time we got a go.:thumbsu:

Cloke has proven he can dominate against the Hawks, and our Midfield which was our downfall last time, has come roaring back to form - combine these two factors in a GF, and we have massively closed the gap with the Hawks.
Yes we have a huge mountain to climb this week- end, but I doubt the players fear the Hawks AND the Hawks are due to come off TOP, they have been up way too long.
So yes just maybe the cruelty of unaligned stars of 2011, will revesre with realigning stars in 2012.

That Brisbane team was bloody stacked on every line.
I'm still pissed off at how good they were.
Brisbane and underdogs shouldn't have even been used in the same sentence back then.
Hopefully we win this week first up.

That Brisbane team was bloody stacked on every line.
I'm still pissed off at how good they were.
Brisbane and underdogs shouldn't have even been used in the same sentence back then.
Hopefully we win this week first up.
Yeah Brissy were a great unit, but if you have enough money and the AFL in your corner anything is possible :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Could the Pies do what the Lions of 03 did??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back