Countdown clock killed the suspense

Remove this Banner Ad

For those of us who watched the GF on TV, Channel 7's countdown clock killed a lot of the suspense to a thrilling conclusion to a truly awesome game of footy.

Would have been more insane with the counting up clock, as Ch 10 do.

This is why I still regard the 2006 GF slighty better than the 2010 GF.

For those of us who watched the GF on TV, Channel 7's countdown clock killed a lot of the suspense to a thrilling conclusion to a truly awesome game of footy.

Would have been more insane with the counting up clock, as Ch 10 do.

Completely agree, would've been amazing with the count up clock.

the countup clock in the 2006 grand final almost saw me lose consciousness, and i loved it.

Last passage of play when Kerr kicked sideways into the middle of the ground to a Rowan Jones/Leo Barry 50-50 there was realistically only about 10 seconds left, and when Beau Waters gathered the ball from a hurried Lynch kick the game in hindsight was won. But channels 10's countup clock had me screaming at the top of my lungs during that passage of play because i had no idea how much time was left, and we were about to turn the ball over.

The countup clock brought out deafening screams from my body i didnt know i could create:

GO KERR!!!
Ohhhhhhhhh SHIT....
CMON JONES GRAB IT!!!
BOOT THE ****ING THING LYNCH!!!
CMON BEAU CLEAR IT!!!!!!
GET HIM COUSINS!!!!!

SMOTHER IT#^@%!!!!

no joke, when i was screaming at Cousins to smother the fosdyke kick on centre wing, i put that much effort into it, the girl standing right in front of me - her hair stood up from the volume and force of the air coming out of my mouth. It was like there was a fan blowing her hair up, and she turned around and looked at me as if it tickled or something. I didnt give a shit though. The ball went out of bounds and I was trembling in a cold sweat saying "no not again please i cant take it" and on the verge of a nervous breakdown seconds before the siren went. All thanks to channel 10's countup clock :)

Prefer not to know how much time is left on tv - it adds to the stress and its a bit more like being at the game.

hmm, if anyone has a spare ticket for next week I could go as a test and let everyone know what is better. Offers anyone (all in the interest of science)

Count up clock on Channel 10 is not what it seems.

During a close game the commentators give subtle hints to how much time is left; such as

- Only about 2 minutes left
- Could be time for one more attack
- Need to kick it up the middle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I disagree. The countdown clock had me on the edge of my seat knowing exactly how much time we had to get the lead. It would have been even more anti-climatic for the siren to go off randomly for me.

Agreed. I would have been more on edge in 05 with the ball going in to our forward 50 knowing this was the LAST roll of the dice.

Yesterday, sure the suspense was down in that final 15 seconds, but it was sky high when the ball was heading in the forward 50 with bugger all to go.

what really killed the suspense and the drama was Ch7's decision to get in a quick ad break after every goal, robbing us who are watching a chance to see the players reactions, a replay of the goal and play etc.

Wow, so many ad's on the weekend !

what really killed the suspense and the drama was Ch7's decision to get in a quick ad break after every goal, robbing us who are watching a chance to see the players reactions, a replay of the goal and play etc.

Wow, so many ad's on the weekend !

Even with it on free on channel 7, I'd be willing to pay for a PPV screening on Foxtel with no ads during the quarters.

I put a pillow over the time from the 5 minute mark. This bought the exact same discussion that it did in this thread. Some blokes were screaming at me to move it and some liked the idea. I much prefer not knowing how long is left to go.

images

Just don't look... just don't look.

If technology was where it should be, we should each be able to use our remote control to choose whether we want to see a count-up or count-down clock. Give the viewer the choice.

Excellent post.

There should be choice. From personal experience, the 2005 and 2006 Grand Finals took about 10 years off my life not knowing when the siren was going to go.

2002, 2005, 2006 and 2009 were much more tense for me, even as a Collingwood supporter on Saturday. After about 15 seconds I realised it was going to be a draw and it felt kind of sh*t. In the four listed I was absolutely shitting myself once the five minute warning hit.

2002, 2005, 2006 and 2009 were much more tense for me, even as a Collingwood supporter on Saturday. After about 15 seconds I realised it was going to be a draw and it felt kind of sh*t. In the four listed I was absolutely shitting myself once the five minute warning hit.

Exactly, I'd take suspense over the 'draw' feeling when there's 20 seconds to go

Count up clock on Channel 10 is not what it seems.

During a close game the commentators give subtle hints to how much time is left; such as

- Only about 2 minutes left
- Could be time for one more attack
- Need to kick it up the middle.

It doesn't take much to work out. In close games i always check the game time when it changes to the count up clock with 5 mins to go. Add on about 8 minutes to that and you get a rough idea of when the game will end. Thats all the commentators are doing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Countdown clock killed the suspense

Remove this Banner Ad

Back