Countdown clock killed the suspense

Remove this Banner Ad

Get rid of the clock for the last five minutes of a match.

It would have added to the excitement level x 10 if they didn't have the clock telling us how much time was left with the St Kilda vs Essendon match.

They seem to trial everything else- how about trialling common sense and going back to not telling the viewers how much time is left in a match.

Also, please no "clash" guernseys unless they have to. Brisbane's guernsey does not clash with St Kilda's. Let St Kilda wear their proper guernseys. Same goes with Richmond - get rid of the mickey mouse outfit and wear the sash.

Generally I like to know how much time is left - if I just flick it on I like to know the context of the match - and also I just like checking it ocasionally, in the last five make it count up as Channel Ten does, much better that way.

Generally I like to know how much time is left - if I just flick it on I like to know the context of the match - and also I just like checking it ocasionally, in the last five make it count up as Channel Ten does, much better that way.

Channel 10 does a better job with their footy.

Before The Game show is fantastic, commentators better (except Seven has Leigh Matthews) and they don't spoil 5 minutes of suspense with a clock telling us how much time is left.

Get rid of the clock for the last five minutes of a match.

It would have added to the excitement level x 10 if they didn't have the clock telling us how much time was left with the St Kilda vs Essendon match.

They seem to trial everything else- how about trialling common sense and going back to not telling the viewers how much time is left in a match.

Also, please no "clash" guernseys unless they have to. Brisbane's guernsey does not clash with St Kilda's. Let St Kilda wear their proper guernseys. Same goes with Richmond - get rid of the mickey mouse outfit and wear the sash.

Strongly disagree, that's what makes it exciting. You know its the last spin of the dice and a mark must be taken, it definitely adds to the excitement. I like to see the clock countdown and would prefer if you could see it live at the game as well. It absolutely shits me to tears not knowing how long is left, ruins it for me, i just think well who knows and it ruins the buzz but if you can see it counting down you know the importance of each and every contest. This is actually possibly the only thing channel 7 do right.

The Dons Saints game had no suspense because it was delayed by atleast an hour, its better then to turn it over see 4 minutes left and can stay and laugh at the choke

As for the grand final, I was so glad for the countdown clock, absolutely hate CH10s 5 minute warning. Doesnt kill the suspense at all, gives you relief when its out of St Kildas 50 and only about 20 seconds left, start celebrating the draw or knowing just 1 good long kick and we can win this

Yep, always liked Channel Ten the best, except for Wallsy.

If Wallsy had played for the Swans would you have the same attitude?

I think we have to acknowledge good commentators no matter whether they played for East Perth, Carlton, Collingwood or Hawthorn.

I like Wallsy's and Matthews' analysis of tactics, player positions, strengths, weaknesses, match-ups - you don't get that with ANY of the other commentators. None of the others were competent coaches - that is probably why.

I am happy for you to prove me wrong if you can find an example of the other commentators providing that level of analysis.

(p.s - Malcolm Blight used to be a good commentator about 5 years ago, but has gone flat in the last year.)

re- the countdown clock.

Let's say the ball is down the other end with a minute to go. Your team is down by 7 points. You know for a fact it is unlikely they can win.

Let's say same scenario - ball down the other end. You might think there is 2 minutes left and enough time for two scores.

The countdown clock ruins 5 minutes of suspense.

Maybe they could do half -half to placate some that like it and some that don't?
Ie 5 minute to 4 minute - keep the clock up.
4 minute to 3 minute- no clock
3 minute to 2 minute- clock up
2 minute to 1 minute - no clock.

One day I guess they will give us the option. I will choose not to see it.

it would be interesting to get the age of each poster here - i imagine the for to be the younger crowd, and the against be the old farts.

being at the game, in a close battle, not having a clue how long to go, is as sweet as it gets - the pure joy or the angst.

it wont happen, but scrap the countdown clock. how much better would it be for no one, at home or at the ground, whether a spectator or a club staffer, and therefore player, to have any idea how long there is to go.

no more players raising the ball to signify theyre holding play up.
no more (or at least minimised) kicking backwards in the last minutes, cos the players have been made aware of the remaining time.

it would be interesting to get the age of each poster here - i imagine the for to be the younger crowd, and the against be the old farts.

Absolutely right. Some of us grew up when the game was timed by sundials and we had no idea of the time remaining - quarters were 25 mins + time-on. Over 30 was a long quarter, under 28 was a short quarter. Local timekeepers were always accused of various nefarious practises. Particularly the bloody Carlton ones.:D

However I think the previous poster has it right. If the players know how much is left, so should we - they modify their play depending on the time, so we need to understand why they are doing it.

If they removed the countdown clock, clubs would just have their own timekeeper in the box pressing a stopwatch - would be accurate to about 20-30 secs at worst, so they would still know the time anyway.

And for the record, I am in the 'I don't want to know the time' camp, but I think those days are gone.

Probably not because he'd presumably commentate Swans games without the dreadful bias he generally has. Honestly the man has no clue about the Swans and almost seems to have a vendetta against them.

It didn't for me.

No-one can tell me there wasn't suspense with 20 seconds to go when one kick would've done it. We only knew with 10 sec to go. So what. We had more than our fair share of suspense until then. Enough to last a lifetime.

All major team sports have countdown clocks, why shouldn't AFL.

Pretty sure they don't use them in the Soccer mate, that's a pretty big sport on world standards ain't it.

I think we have to acknowledge good commentators no matter whether they played for East Perth, Carlton, Collingwood or Hawthorn.

I like Wallsy's and Matthews' analysis of tactics, player positions, strengths, weaknesses, match-ups - you don't get that with ANY of the other commentators. None of the others were competent coaches - that is probably why.

I am happy for you to prove me wrong if you can find an example of the other commentators providing that level of analysis.

(p.s - Malcolm Blight used to be a good commentator about 5 years ago, but has gone flat in the last year.)

Even when that analysis is ridiculously flawed, like it was after the 2009 grand final when Walls said Ling can't keep up anymore, using the opinion that he had to be moved off Hayes in the grand final to support his argument, when in fact he was playing on Dal Santo all day, and kept him under wraps?

There's also is continued call that if a key forward is being well held they should be thrown into the ruck for five minutes. But I digress.

As for the topic on hand, I prefer the count up clock. I was on the edge of my seat watching the 2009 GF at home as you never knew how much time was left, which was a similar feeling to being at the ground for the Round 17 game in 2009 against the Hawks which was won with a point after the siren, and the corresponding fixture against the Hawks last year when we held on to win by 2 points after Hawthorn launched attack after attack in the last 3-4 minutes of the game, and still had an outside chance before Buddy sprayed a kick just before the siren.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure they don't use them in the Soccer mate, that's a pretty big sport on world standards ain't it.
Soccer doesnt have a count down clock but its got an end time, 90 minutes + injury time which you see, you know exactly how long is left

Maybe thats what AFL should go for, after 20 minutes the interchange steward holds up a big board, 10 minutes of injury time left :p

Even when that analysis is ridiculously flawed, like it was after the 2009 grand final when Walls said Ling can't keep up anymore, using the opinion that he had to be moved off Hayes in the grand final to support his argument, when in fact he was playing on Dal Santo all day, and kept him under wraps?

There's also is continued call that if a key forward is being well held they should be thrown into the ruck for five minutes. But I digress.

As for the topic on hand, I prefer the count up clock. I was on the edge of my seat watching the 2009 GF at home as you never knew how much time was left, which was a similar feeling to being at the ground for the Round 17 game in 2009 against the Hawks which was won with a point after the siren, and the corresponding fixture against the Hawks last year when we held on to win by 2 points after Hawthorn launched attack after attack in the last 3-4 minutes of the game, and still had an outside chance before Buddy sprayed a kick just before the siren.

I will take your point on Walls as being accurate. I presume it is.

He also said that Milburn is past his prime, didn't he?

When you make analysis - not all of it is going to be correct.
At least he puts his neck out there.

Coaches, commentators, players all make mistakes.

For example, was putting Athorn on Michael Long in the 1993 grand final an astute coaching decision by Parkin? Then again, was putting Williams in the forward line in the 1995 g/f an astute decision. Some you lose, some you win.

Quarterbrain and most of the others don't do anything other than bland commentary of what is happening.

I am not talking as a Carlton supporter when I discuss Walls- as I have equal respect for Matthews as a commentator (and I am not a fan of Hawthorn at all)...so I am just taking it on face value - I like the analysis and it is up to the listener to take it on board or not once they put their club loyalties aside.

At first, I thought Matthew Lloyd was a good commentator-as he was willing to put his neck out there and criticise his old club...and you have no idea how much I disliked Lloyd as a player. No idea at all, yet I overlooked that to appreciate his commentary at first. Now he has settled in bland city though.

For those of us who watched the GF on TV, Channel 7's countdown clock killed a lot of the suspense to a thrilling conclusion to a truly awesome game of footy.

Would have been more insane with the counting up clock, as Ch 10 do.

I think the countdown clock sometimes adds an extra dimension of drama and excitement to a close game

The Brisbane vs Geelong game was one of the best examples of this I have ever seen. Far more dramatic than if we'd been kept in the dark about how much time was left.

The closing 30 seconds of the 1987 Preliminary Final was another brilliant example, except we didn't have the countdown clock back then and nobody has any idea how much time was left. Imagine if we had a countdown clock for that game. That finish would've been even more dramatic if we'd known there was just 10 seconds to go when Langford took the kick out.

Agree....knowing how many seconds were left had us out of our chairs, screaming to hurry and kick it long! Made the suspense so much more!

Big fan of having a countdown clock:thumbsu:

Yep, spot on. Knowing exactly how much time is left can auger fir the most thrilling finishes. Just look at all the buzzer beaters in basketball, great stuff. I remember one game where a player threw up a prayer and it went in with 2 seconds left and gave them a 1 point lead. A player then threw from behind centre and sunk it on the buzzer. Knowing the exact time made for an incredible finish, just as it did in the Lions v Cats game.

Thank gods the 5 minute bullshit ended when Ten's contract did.

Now if only the stadiums were to show the real clock. But the nuff nuffs would piss and moan hard :thumbsdown:
So, those with a differing view to you are nuffies :rolleyes: These same 'nuffies' are the fans who have enjoyed watching our exciting game for decades without a countdown clock. They are the same people who would prefer not to see any further excuse for teams to chip the ball around to finish qtrs. What a bunch of 'nuff nuffs'!

Remove this Banner Ad

Countdown clock killed the suspense

Remove this Banner Ad

Back