Certified Legendary Thread Covid, Life, UFOs, Food, & Wordle :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a big call and I have to disagree.

Souva sits atop the pedestal when it comes to food consumed in the ungodly hours; it's what one does after a night on the turps.

#nosunblest
Hard to argue, especially especially especially if the wrapper bread they use is spot on delicious.
just a delicious treat.

It's actually 49 at the meatworks and you will find I posted my own astonishment this morning. Big Ears needs to get Mr Plod on the job to sort this out. The government doesn't seem to even be able to get the app to work as it should. Why doesn't that surprise me. I am just doing it to make up the numbers.
If you spent the next couple of weeks continuously downloading and then deleting the app, you could probably bump the numbers up a fair way.

Just gave you an extra one from China.

If you spent the next couple of weeks continuously downloading and then deleting the app, you could probably bump the numbers up a fair way.

If you delete the app after downloading it do they know or is it still counted as a download. I am asking for a friend.

surely you have to register it after downloading it to count?
I registered afterwards. But if people choose not to then I understand that too.
personal choice.

If you delete the app after downloading it do they know or is it still counted as a download. I am asking for a friend.
It'll count towards the numbers they're quoting, but thats because they wamt a high number so people feel everyone is using it so they should too.

Last edited:
Personally I wouldn't download the app if I was in Aus.
I'm always suspicious of politicians and people with power.
The app may be a good thing, I'm not arguing that, but the way I see it is that this is a way to get people used to the idea of being traced.
Next thing you know they will be wanting to trace you for some other reason.
"Nothing to worry about" they will tell you. "Remember we did it during Covid and it was OK."
Before you know we are all walking around with chips in us.

May sound like tinfoil hat stuff, but this is how things happen.
It's always "for our good"

Don't want restrictions lifted, particularly regarding schools. Dont want people on the app increasing the likelihood of future school closures.

I suspect you are sick of ths classroom. Having spent too much time there myself, I can't say I'd blame you.
You assume too much.

Personally I wouldn't download the app if I was in Aus.
I'm always suspicious of politicians and people with power.
The app may be a good thing, I'm not arguing that, but the way I see it is that this is a way to get people used to the idea of being traced.
Next thing you know they will be wanting to trace you for some other reason.
"Nothing to worry about" they will tell you. "Remember we did it during Covid and it was OK."
Before you know we are all walking around with chips in us.

May sound like tinfoil hat stuff, but this is how things happen.
It's always "for our good"
Otto the government would need to provide some bloody good reasons for wishing to trace you. Covid 19s don't come along everyday of the week - OK they do at the moment - but I am not going to be stupid enough to allow this to leading to being chipped like a pet dog. Be reasonable. Maybe your Turkish government might try soften you up in this manner, but it's not going to happen here. Australians may be a laconic lot, but they are not going to give up their privacy without good reason.

Joking. Whilst I disagree on your view on restrictions and feel everyone should download the app, I completely understand your views on both of them.
I’ll go back to work when the government tells me to. I haven’t had time to think about the app.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Joking. Whilst I disagree on your view on restrictions and feel everyone should download the app, I completely understand your views on both of them.
I do but then again I don't. I don't understand how anyone can so vigorously fly the flag for the restrictions and the preservation of every body with a beating heart, yet be so vehemently opposed to the app. It strikes me as contradictory and hypocritical.

Otto the government would need to provide some bloody good reasons for wishing to trace you. Covid 19s don't come along everyday of the week - OK they do at the moment - but I am not going to be stupid enough to allow this to leading to being chipped like a pet dog. Be reasonable. Maybe your Turkish government might try soften you up in this manner, but it's not going to happen here. Australians may be a laconic lot, but they are not going to give up their privacy without good reason.
Interestingly the Turkish govt isn't asking people to be traced. People who have got the virus have to download an app to try to monitor if the are staying home. Of course they could just leave their phone at home but as you know the thought of being without their phone is terrifying to some people. So it has some success.

You would be surprised at what people will give up if you create enough fear.

Do you really need to be traced?
No. But it is being marketed to you as a good thing and as a responsible person you should do it.

A list of words and expressions I'd be happy to never hear again: coronavirus, covid 19, new normal, social distancing, self isolation and quarantine, restrictions, cluster, job keeper, Darren Andrews, hand sanitizer, toilet rolls, hoarders and hubs. What have I forgotten? You watch a news broadcast such as SBS expecting a variety of items sourced from the world, but everyone concerns the virus. Is there nothing else happening other than virus related things? Aren't we entitled to escape the omnipresence of covid 19 when we tune in for an update of world news events? Are the African gangs rampaging through shopping centers or prople's homes that used to feature in the lead stories on the commercial networks meekly adhering to the isolation and distancing regulations? Is this current law abiding world going to become the new normal?

Funnily enough, the best way to avoid talking about Coronavirus is by coming to this thread!

I do but then again I don't. I don't understand how anyone can so vigorously fly the flag for the restrictions and the preservation of every body with a beating heart, yet be so vehemently opposed to the app. It strikes me as contradictory and hypocritical.

Restrictions are a short term measure to stop an immediate danger which doesn't impact privacy. The app is likely to become an ongoing justification to invade privacy.

Interestingly the Turkish govt isn't asking people to be traced. People who have got the virus have to download an app to try to monitor if the are staying home. Of course they could just leave their phone at home but as you know the thought of being without their phone is terrifying to some people. So it has some success.

You would be surprised at what people will give up if you create enough fear.

Do you really need to be traced?
No. But it is being marketed to you as a good thing and as a responsible person you should do it.
I am not downloading out of fear. I doubt that many people are really that fearful of something that is so remote. It's the restrictions that people most fear rather than the virus. An app can be removed. It's not like a chip that's implanted and requires a bit of effort and considerable pain to remove.It cannot even be used to catch you out breaking restrictions.

I imagine that a lot of people just download without realising they then have to register. A lack of thinking through stuff is not merely a deficiency of our political leaders and film scripts.
I was thinking about downloading it.

Then I got a message from mygov, it then linked me to download it from Apple store or some shit & I had to agree to their terms.

Fugg off!!!

I don’t know what the app does. Why is it so important?
Tracks your contacts. If someone tests positives, it's easier to trace who has had exposure to the person with the virus and thus easier to stop the spread of the virus. A similar app is thought to have been really effective in helping South Korea control the virus whilst staying relatively open for business.

Restrictions are a short term measure to stop an immediate danger which doesn't impact privacy. The app is likely to become an ongoing justification to invade privacy.
Do you reckon? I wouldn't allow them to invade my privacy for anything other than this and don't even think of it in those terms. I see it as you describe the restrictions - a short term measure to stop an immediate danger in order to allow greater freedom to move and travel.

I am not downloading out of fear. I doubt that many people are really that fearful of something that is so remote. It's the restrictions that people most fear rather than the virus. An app can be removed. It's not like a chip that's implanted and requires a bit of effort and considerable pain to remove.It cannot even be used to catch you out breaking restrictions.
If you want restrictions lifted then just demand they are lifted.
It shouldn't be something with is done with the proviso that the Govt can trace you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back