Coach Craig McRae

Remove this Banner Ad

For those questioning Fly and/or his assistants what has changed from round 3 to now?
The period where we beat Brisbane, Port, Carlton and Melbourne etc.
If you don’t know the answer have a read then also factor in a loss of form/confidence.

Leigh Matthews
Ron Barrassi

Two immediately come to mind. Successful coaches. Would give big sprays to the players.

Players would be dragged to the bench if they stepped out of line. It did used to work.

But you’re right to say precious petals won’t cop it. No one can take criticism now. Every kid gets a ribbon stuff.

Dimma and Clarkson. Both multiple premiership coaches and both absolutely arseholes.

You need to be a nasty person to be uber successful. Especially after success, you need to ground the players and get them hungry again.

Dimma and Clarkson. Both multiple premiership coaches and both absolutely arseholes.

You need to be a nasty person to be uber successful. Especially after success, you need to ground the players and get them hungry again.

This is your imagination talking.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

McRae has won 3 flags as a player and now 1 as a coach, and bees dick off a second GF. But you go talk to him about your success, record it, and share it to us all

This is outdated nonsense

You need to hold people to high account and you can do so without being an arseh*le and nasty

Great coaches are often described as being parental figures by their players and much loved

This is outdated nonsense

You need to hold people to high account and you can do so without being an arseh*le and nasty

Great coaches are often described as being parental figures by their players and much loved
My favourite all time coach was Kevin Sheedy as coach of Essendon. Loyal to his players and with a bit of bite.

He made a number of ordinary players good, made backmen into forwards and visa versa

For those questioning Fly and/or his assistants what has changed from round 3 to now?
The period where we beat Brisbane, Port, Carlton and Melbourne etc.
If you don’t know the answer have a read then also factor in a loss of form/confidence.
Dont forget rounds 0-3.

I feel Mcrae needs to take a step back from the whole get it forward at all costs mantra. We've looked scrappy all year and could do with some slower, more methodical plays just to get the skills up and keep energy in the legs for surges. (We're going at 70% DE for the season, second lowest in the league). Last year we had modes, slow play, work it up, or all out attack etc. Need to reintroduce that back into our game.

I completely trust what he's doing, but I do feel he could be coaching better strategically.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well the issue is we are trying to play a certain style with less talented players, that the style was introduced for, and because of our injuries, there still hasn't been an adjustment to what we're doing.
I'm sure Fly and co. will be scratching their heads this week to come up with something to negate our downfall....🙏🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🙏

It largely worked for the 8 rounds following our losses at the start of the year but the kids have dropped off a bit and we continue to see the revolving door of injuries. Realistically, we should rightfully be down around where Richmond are if you’re looking at the toll of injuries relative to on-field performance. I think we’ve done exceptionally well given the circumstances. Posters identified exactly what would happen to performance when there were calls to “play the kids” after the first 3 rounds so it’s hardly a mystery when it comes to fruition.

I would have thought that If anyone would of had an idea of staying hungry after a flag it would have been Fly and Leppa. Disappointed with how content the players seem with just the 1.

The side has limped and stuttered through the last few rounds but it's harsh to assert that they seem content with where they're at.

I remember Fly during the '22 season admonishing the players for not "walking tall" after a close loss. He wanted players to embrace winning behaviours regardless of the result. I'm OK with that.

Last edited:
Let's go even higher - let's pay some lunatic European militia to capture GW.
A weekend away with 4-5 members of the UK House of Lords might do the trick.

Alternatively, afternoon tea in the grounds of Windsor Castle

Does he also have to be a racist bigot as well?? What about all the other nasty coaches that weren't successful??

I'm not having a go at you, but your comment seems silly considering all the evidence to the contrary.

Mcrea seems to be uber successful to me, multiple flags as a player, one as a coach, almost a second one, got the players playing out of their skins for 2 years when we were looking down the barrell of a rebuild, even this year got us through part of our injury crisis, i can't think of another current coach who could do that? Clarkson? Voss? Lyon? Scott brothers? Hinkley?

If anyone can get us through this, it's Fly, we look tired, the older players look tired, yelling at them won't help, we need troops back, but feel it's too late in the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Craig McRae

Remove this Banner Ad

Back