Coach Craig McRae

Remove this Banner Ad

You’ve won 18 matches by less than a goal over a three year period including a Grand Final and Preliminary Final by 1 and 4 points respectively. How many examples do you want?

This includes several matches that had nothing to do with being “good in close games”, with umpiring errors (like the North Melbourne match this year) or player error (Jeremy McGovern). I remember the match against Essendon in 2022, Harry Jones hit the bloody post with 20 seconds to go and should have been given a 50 meter penalty and from the resulting kick-in, Elliott kicked the winner.

There have been several where Collingwood closed out the close wins deservedly, but many others were ridiculously lucky.
Are you Dan50 now?

It’s easy when you are winning.

A coach’s true colours come out when there are challenges.

We’ve heard from guys like Grundy and Ginnivan when they are deemed to no longer serve a purpose for the club. The cuddles mentality from Craig quickly disappears.

His continual comments about one umpiring decision from last Friday night instead of taking responsibility for his team blowing a 5 goal lead also shows lack of maturity when the pressure is on.

Geez you wouldn’t want to get on his wrong side when things weren’t going swimmingly for him.
Overall you make a fair point: we haven't seen McRae under pressure much, what is he like?

But can I ask what "we've heard"? Mcrae stated publicly he wanted Grundy to stay, it was Wright who kicked him out for his contract and not for his footy. Grundy's manager said McRae delivered the message, and it was respectful and "nice" whatever that means, and if you can believe a word a player manager says.

Ginnivan kept getting caught inhaling and gambling. He definitely served a purpose as a player, pushed Lipinski out of the side and played his role very well in the GF. Once again a management not a footy decision, we liked him very much as a player.

As for "continually commenting" yeah nah, he responded to one journo's question once. It was Horse who repeatedly melted after that. A decent bit of media trolling and it looks like you took the same bait Longmire did.

As for "continually commenting" yeah nah, he responded to one journo's question once. It was Horse who repeatedly melted after that. A decent bit of media trolling and it looks like you took the same bait Longmire did.
You are right, the Sydney game was probably the first time things haven’t gone his way.

Seems like he’s convinced the club to go all in on their aging veterans next year for one more tilt.

It will be interesting to see how he responds if it all goes **** up.

Can Fly develop young players? Seems like a lot of them look to leave.
This is a good question.

There are a lot of players very happy there.

Too early to tell. I think he went from a development coach in first 6 weeks in job to what should have been a GF in his first year if not for some questionable umpiring. (We are talking 7-8 decisions not 1 or 2). Last year the Pies were contending and for the best part of this year we were contending and maybe didnt have luck but we had luck previous years.

Forget Nick Daicos.He has developed well but not sure you can judge anyone on him.

There is no doubt he has made us play better as a team which is what coaching is.

Ginni kicked 40 goals under him and then left part attitude based I think. We should have backed him, I think bad list management more than anything which coach is a heavy part of in this case. Both ginni/mccrae to blame for departure. Ginnivan has a lot of scope we didnt explore. Needs to fit well into a structure as a forward given lack of pace but could also be a gun inside midfielder long term.
Henry was projecting the player he is now. Not Mccraes blame he left
Poulter we delisted I dont think he is ever going to be a more than capable one side role player.
Harrison is projecting well.
McInness will be interesting how he goes next year. He is a midfielder/utility. has done ok as a forward. Some AFL coaches would make him a really good player. Mccrae/Collingwood have not done this yet but does lack a tank. Will vomit if he leaves.
Dean- too early to tell, had 2 years out before this year. Needs to play as a interceptor in AFL.
Allan, DeMattia, Jiath, Parker- all potential AFL talents that fit well into our system. need time.
Bobby Hill gone up a level under Macrae
Macrae- Needs a weaker club where he can get to 50 games. Above VFL level not sure he can get to required AFL level. likely needs an oportunity elsewhere.
liam McMahon- made call on him early. He after 2 years out looks like being redrafted. Disappointed he was delisted even more disappointed not still on list now.
McCreery- is what he is has slightly improved but he is at a level and plays a role.
Arlo Draper-- Had AFL traits when he had ball in hand but never got the ball despite being played at half back. Not sure if that is on player or VFL coaches wouldnt put it too much on McCrae.
Joe Richards- Would have been a delist last year. Adjusting into AFL. This would be a tick at this stage. Been very good this year, fits well into our system. Issue is his competition in side and age. 25. late developer from country. Has a high ceiling.
ash Johnson- Another late developer. talent wise has ability to kick 50 a year. Has gone backwards this year. Partly injuries/supply in VFL, lacked intesnity AFL and down on confidence. love to see mccrae stick with him and believe in him. Could go to another club and put egg on Mccraes face but I think for it to be genuine would have to be a whole season in AFL. I can see him going to another club and bagging 5 first game he plays.

Collingwood's improvement next year will be around Jiath, Allan, McInness, Dean, Parker, DeMattia maybe 1-2 other younger players. I think it will be the first year you can really judge McCrae with younger players.

Glad he gave Long/Bytel time but really look like role player/list cloggers

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Craig McRae

Remove this Banner Ad

Back