NO TROLLS Collingwood CEO Craig Kelly involved in racism & homophobia allegations lodged in court documents

Remove this Banner Ad

I suspect (don't know, just suspect) that hiring ONE person to drive the Do Better strategy was a bad idea. If you had a larger group of people - perhaps two senior reps from the organisation, the captain of the team, one representative of the current indigenous players, and an advisory group of internal and external indigenous people, with really open lines of communication, a lot of interpersonal problems aren't elevated to an extreme level. Things can be raised sooner, and people can be pulled into line quicker. Just something that occurred to me when I read the stuff - don't know if I am way off or not. Maybe they already had that. I dunno.
To much common sense in one post for my liking!! In all seriousness total respect to you for looking at it from that perspective and coming up with solutions rather than getting caught up in hearsay degenerate gossip. Total class.

Just confirming that the complaint of referring to a woman in a private conversation as a 'silly old b###h' is not counted as a racial thing (so hard to keep up these days) I know I have come away from interactions and thinking the same thing

I suspect (don't know, just suspect) that hiring ONE person to drive the Do Better strategy was a bad idea. If you had a larger group of people - perhaps two senior reps from the organisation, the captain of the team, one representative of the current indigenous players, and an advisory group of internal and external indigenous people, with really open lines of communication, a lot of interpersonal problems aren't elevated to an extreme level. Things can be raised sooner, and people can be pulled into line quicker. Just something that occurred to me when I read the stuff - don't know if I am way off or not. Maybe they already had that. I dunno.
Go to the club's website for more info on the Do Better Report and the multiple people who have been & those who continue to be involved.

Cleaver wasn't the one & only person involved in driving the Do Better Strategy.

There are numerous Indigenous people at the club involved with driving the recommendations from the Do Better Report, including ex players, Leon Davis & Andrew Krakouer who are both committed to being involved in the Club’s Truth-Telling Program – a process to more deeply understand their experiences and the impacts racism has had on their lives to better inform ongoing cultural change at the Club.

Leon is employed by the Club on a full-time basis to assist with its commitment to building a culturally safe environment for all staff and players and Andrew is employed to help support this.

Leon and Andrew join an existing strong team of First Nations leaders and players at the Club including:

Vice President – Jodie Sizer (Djap Wurrung / Gunditjmara)
Development Coach – Neville Jetta (Balardong / Willman)
Player Wellbeing / VFL Operations Coordinator – Mannon Johnston (Wakka Wakka / Gunai Kurnai)
General Manager Social Impact and Policy – Taryn Lee (Yawuru)
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Programs Manager – Debby Lovett (Gunditjmara / Boandik)
Talent ID and Community Ambassador – Daniel Wells (Wangkatha / Wirangu).
AFL players – Ash Johnson (Gija / Jaru / Bunuba), Bobby Hill (Whadjuk-Ballardong Noongar), Nathan Kreuger (Noongar / Ngarrindjeri).
VFL players – Derek Eggmolesse-Smith (Muruwari / Barkindji), Cam Wild (Wiradjuri)
VFLW players – Rhiannon Busch (Takalaga / Taepadhiggi), Danica Pedersen (Murri) and Nicola Weston (Yorta Yorta / Pama-Nyungan).

Last edited:
your club took 30+ years longer than any other club from the 1800's to take an indigenous player. almost 100 years to get one on your team. you've also had a fair few of your indigenous players complain post 2000. sounds like systemic racism to me.
Systemic Racism? The club knows that.

That's exactly why they initiated the Do Better Report 🙄

Go to the club's website for more info on the Do Better Report and the multiple people who have been & those who continue to be involved.

Cleaver wasn't the one & only person involved in driving the Do Better Strategy.

There are numerous Indigenous people at the club involved with driving the recommendations from the Do Better Report, including ex players, Leon Davis & Andrew Krakouer who are both committed to being involved in the Club’s Truth-Telling Program – a process to more deeply understand their experiences and the impacts racism has had on their lives to better inform ongoing cultural change at the Club.

Leon is employed by the Club on a full-time basis to assist with its commitment to building a culturally safe environment for all staff and players and Andrew is employed to help support this.

Leon and Andrew join an existing strong team of First Nations leaders and players at the Club including:

Vice President – Jodie Sizer (Djap Wurrung / Gunditjmara)
Development Coach – Neville Jetta (Balardong / Willman)
Player Wellbeing / VFL Operations Coordinator – Mannon Johnston (Wakka Wakka / Gunai Kurnai)
General Manager Social Impact and Policy – Taryn Lee (Yawuru)
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Programs Manager – Debby Lovett (Gunditjmara / Boandik)
Talent ID and Community Ambassador – Daniel Wells (Wangkatha / Wirangu).
AFL players – Ash Johnson (Gija / Jaru / Bunuba), Nathan Kreuger (Noongar / Ngarrindjeri).
VFL players – Derek Eggmolesse-Smith (Muruwari / Barkindji), Cam Wild (Wiradjuri)
VFLW players – Rhiannon Busch (Takalaga / Taepadhiggi), Danica Pedersen (Murri) and Nicola Weston (Yorta Yorta / Pama-Nyungan).
They are all employed by the club????

So we literally have six times more truth tellers and indigenous leaders than indigenous players at the club and according to Clever Cleaver are still failing badly
wtf is a 'truth teller?' I love the shit these corporate idiots come out with.

I grew up in country WA where you actually went to school with Aboriginal kids. they had tough lives and were decent humans but the people now representing Indigenous voice are some privately educated kid whose third uncle was 'First Nations.'

wtf is a 'truth teller?' I love the shit these corporate idiots come out with.

I grew up in country WA where you actually went to school with Aboriginal kids. they had tough lives and were decent humans but the people now representing Indigenous voice are some privately educated kid whose third uncle was 'First Nations.'
If their third uncle was indigenous then their mum or dad was well because ... you know... genetics.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So he claims a firm handshake was a violent attack on him?
Then, he asked why Kelly hadn't been stood down over it?
He has also been caught lying about conversations with other people and misquoting them?

Major clash of personalities, he’s pretty brash Ned, ultimate blokes bloke v cleaver who is completely in touch with his feminine side to put it mildly.
Happens in the majority of work places. Would love to know what he did to get the flick.
Apparently he approached two media people to break the story of racism at Collingwood. When Collingwood found out they approached him over it an he denied doing it.
He then lied about a conversation he had with another official saying that he was given the OK to contact the police over his fear of violence from Kelly.

IMO Collingwood are idiots.

Mark Cleaver is simply a person who worked for them. At least two pies posters (Terrafirma and ElliottsMaggies ) have linked to the video of him at work. It is December, I think he has been working for them for about two weeks I'd say.

He's really positive.He thinks the people are great, seems to love the place, and the media team make it look like the place loves him. I can see how he would rub some people up the wrong way, but he just appears to be one of the huge range of people you meet in life.

It's only July. If it didn't work out with this guy fair enough. But I don't know, read the room? Do your best to part amicably with him, if only for the absolutely cynical reason that he is a queer, non-binary, disabled, indigenous man. To be clear that is really cynical, and none of those labels really matter because humans (and organisations made up of humans) work better when they don't have bad blood with others.

A bunch of you are making wild judgements of Kelly based on what this guy said in basically an affidavit. Another bunch of you are judging Cleaver on what seems to be no better basis than the fact that he is a bit different and the labels that attach to that.

Have we seen any discussion yet of the fact that he is on the autism spectrum disorder? I don't think I've seen one poster bring it up but I would have thought that's a pretty important fact in understanding Mark Cleaver as a person. The whole thing seems to me just to be a personality clash and I'm surprised Collingwood have let it get to this.

Interesting how you rubbish other posters about making wild judgements - then make wild judgements yourself on almost every aspect of the case as if you are personally representing the parties :drunk:

People perceive different things differently. That's why people must be careful with their online behaviour as they don't know who they are interacting with. (assuming they want civil discourse).

I think the police were involved because of the crushing handshake, which Cleaver construed as an assault because Kelly was aware of his medical condition.

If this bloke thinks a firm handshake is assault one of Neds nipple cripples would have put him in intensive care

It really depends on the hand shake surely?

Angry Loki GIF

Just confirming that the complaint of referring to a woman in a private conversation as a 'silly old b###h' is not counted as a racial thing (so hard to keep up these days) I know I have come away from interactions and thinking the same thing
ageist and sexist, but not racist, is my take.

Remove this Banner Ad

NO TROLLS Collingwood CEO Craig Kelly involved in racism & homophobia allegations lodged in court documents

Remove this Banner Ad

Back