Crawford Final 8 System

Remove this Banner Ad

Read the note at the bottom.

Cheers, didnt see that at first. Makes his claim even more ridiculous, you cant just type every possible combination there is on a piece of paper and claim that is incontestably your intellectual property.

When did you create it? Got any evidence?
WEEK 1
1st elimination final:
7 v 10
2nd elimination Final: 8 v 9

WEEK 2
1st Semi Final: 1st vs lowest ranked Elimination final winner (1 v 8)
2nd Semi Final: 2nd vs highest ranked Elimination final winner (2 v 7)
3rd Semi Final : 3 v 6
4th Semi Final : 4 v 5

WEEK 3
1st Preliminary Final: highest ranked team vs lowest ranked team (1 v 4)
2nd Preliminary Final: 2nd-highest ranked team vs 2nd lowest ranked team (2 v 3)

WEEK 4
Bye (ensuring 14 day break for Grand Final)

WEEK 5
Grand Final (1 v 2)

Guaranteed week off for the top-6 and also a week off before the GF. Best of both worlds.

WEEK 1
1st elimination final:
7 v 10

WEEK 2

WEEK 3
2nd Preliminary Final: 2nd-highest ranked team vs 2nd lowest ranked team (2 v 3)

WEEK 4

WEEK 5
Grand Final (1 v 2)

Guaranteed week off for the top-6 and also a week off before the GF. Best of both worlds.
In a Final 10 I would like to see at least the top 5 or 6 get a double chance. So here is my version (The TerryBull Final 10 system)

Week 1 - 1st and 2nd get the week off

1st Qualifying Final - 3rd vs 6th

2nd Qualifying Final - 4th vs 5th

1st Elimination Final - 7th vs 10th

2nd Elimination Final - 8th vs 9th

Week 2

1st Challenge Final - 1st vs winner 2nd QF

2nd Challenge Final - 2nd vs winner 1st QF

3rd Elimination Final - Loser 1st QF vs winner 2EF

4th Elimination Final - Loser 2nd QF vs winner 1st EF

Week 3

1st Semi Final - Loser 1st CF vs winner 4th EF

2nd Semi Final - Loser 2nd CF vs winner 3rd EF

Week 4

1st Preliminary Final - Winner 1st CF vs winner 2nd SF

2nd Preliminary Final - Winner 2nd CF vs winner 1st SF

Week 5

Grand Final - Winner 1st PF vs winner 2nd PF

WEEK 1
1st elimination final:
7 v 10

WEEK 2

WEEK 3

WEEK 4

WEEK 5
Grand Final (1 v 2)

Don’t mind this. Would prefer 1st, 2nd, 3rd sequentially pick their opponent from the bottom four in semi’s week. Gives an increased advantage to those finishing higher H&A. Makes every final a knockout as well which is preferable.

Using the current model 1st should hold the choice to play 3rd or 4th and 5th the choice to play 7th or 8th week 1.

The theatre around clubs choosing their opponent week 1 would be a lot of fun.

Why would any system ‘reward’ the team in first by giving them a tougher opponent than the team in second
To be fair it does mean if teams win through in line with their seedlings they would be rewarded with 4th rather than 3rd in a knockout final.

I don’t understand why there’s any need for 5th to cop 7th rather than 8th though. There’s no double chance/further benefit later in the bracket due to the fact that every final those sides play in result in an elimination.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Moral of the story, come up with an idea/design for a system, apply for a patent on the design.

Did he do it? doubt it..

Super League in the UK used a variation of the current system for a time, and gave the highest ranked qualifying final winner their choice of semi-final winner opponent in the prelim.

Maybe a top of the ladder club could benefit from such a mechanism somewhere in the finals as a reward 🤷
what was the success rate?

what was the success rate?
Forgive the use of ChatGPT.

Success Rates of Club Call in Super League Finals:​

1. 2009 (Leeds Rhinos):
    • Chosen Team: Catalans Dragons (Finished 8th on the Ladder)
    • Outcome: Leeds Rhinos chose Catalans and won their match, progressing to the Grand Final and eventually winning the Super League title.
    • Success: Yes
  2. 2010 (St Helens):
    • Chosen Team: Huddersfield Giants (5th)
    • Outcome: St Helens chose Huddersfield Giants, won the match, and progressed to the Grand Final. However, they lost the final to Wigan Warriors.
    • Success: No (reached final but lost)
  3. 2011 (Warrington Wolves):
    • Chosen Team: Leeds Rhinos (5th)
    • Outcome: Warrington chose Leeds Rhinos, but Leeds won the match against them. Warrington did not reach the Grand Final.
    • Success: No
  4. 2012 (Wigan Warriors):
    • Chosen Team: Leeds Rhinos (5th)
    • Outcome: Wigan chose Leeds Rhinos, but Leeds won the match and progressed to the Grand Final, eventually winning the Super League title. Wigan did not reach the Grand Final.
    • Success: No
  5. 2013 (Warrington Wolves):
    • Chosen Team: Huddersfield Giants (2nd)
    • Outcome: Warrington chose Huddersfield instead of the lowest-ranked Leeds Rhinos (3rd) and won the match, progressing to the Grand Final. However, Warrington lost to Wigan Warriors in the final.
    • Success: No (reached final but lost)
  6. 2014 (St Helens):
    • Chosen Team: Catalans Dragons (7th)
    • Outcome: St Helens chose Catalans Dragons, won the match, and progressed to the Grand Final, eventually winning the Super League title.
    • Success: Yes

Summary:​

• Total Times Club Call Used: 6
  • Teams Reaching the Grand Final After Using Club Call: 4 times
  • Teams Winning the Grand Final After Using Club Call: 2 times (Leeds Rhinos in 2009 and St Helens in 2014)
The feature was ultimately scrapped after 2014 due to its controversial nature and the mixed outcomes for teams exercising the Club Call. The rule did not always provide a significant advantage, as choosing the "weakest" team didn't guarantee success and sometimes backfired.

WEEK 1
1st elimination final:
7 v 10

WEEK 2

WEEK 3

WEEK 4

WEEK 5
Grand Final (1 v 2)

I asked where the evidence is you created it, not for a run down of it. You might have thought of it yourself, but there's no chance you were the first person to come up with it.

I asked where the evidence is you created it, not for a run down of it. You might have thought of it yourself, but there's no chance you were the first person to come up with it.

No shit sherlock. I wasn't actually serious about becoming a millionaire if the AFL use it you know. I thought you would have realized that.

But as an aside, yes I have been pushing that system for a long time.

No shit sherlock. I wasn't actually serious about becoming a millionaire if the AFL use it you know. I thought you would have realized that.

But as an aside, yes I have been pushing that system for a long time.
You are personally taking ownership of it like you created it, I'm asking when you created it, how long is a long time? Do you have an evidence of creating it?

You are personally taking ownership of it like you created it, I'm asking when you created it, how long is a long time? Do you have an evidence of creating it?

No, I have zero evidence that I was the first person to come up with it. I've proposed dozens of different systems over the years dating back to when I was in school.

Here's the system described that was used in the ARL in 1995, dated 28-Sep-1994. Crawford petitioned the AFL on 9-Sep-1994. Considerably narrows the circumstances required to validate his claims.

Attachments

• IMG_20240909_221726.jpg
    IMG_20240909_221726.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Crawford Final 8 System

Remove this Banner Ad

Back