Challenge System will improve umpiring and fix dissent

Remove this Banner Ad

They brought in the Stand Rule to help open up the game when it's had the opposite effect because takes ball back to the player & it allows the defense to roll back when normally he woulda just got it forward quickly.

The AFL was concerned a few years ago about the slowing of the game but look how many reviews they now have
Oh it's sponsored by Crypto.com! that's why we seeing so many haha

They brought in the Stand Rule to help open up the game when it's had the opposite effect because takes ball back to the player & it allows the defense to roll back when normally he woulda just got it forward quickly.

The AFL was concerned a few years ago about the slowing of the game but look how many reviews they now have
Oh it's sponsored by Crypto.com! that's why we seeing so many haha
At Optus we wait for the orange light to flash before a bounce down after a goal. It lets us (and I assume the umpires) know the ads have finished on TV and we can start the game again. Does it happen over there?

Less technology is the answer. All you get with technology are too many umpires in the job that shouldn't be there. Goal umpires are absolute muppets these days. Get rid of it. The Joel Wilson effect.

So potentially one game could go four and half hours. Don't think broadcasters will be happy with that.

At any rate - mistakes are going to happen and what if Freo made the challenge call on an iffy incident in the first 10 minutes of the match where accidental head highs, push in the backs in the coal face occur. Silly idea really.

So potentially one game could go four and half hours. Don't think broadcasters will be happy with that.

At any rate - mistakes are going to happen and what if Freo made the challenge call on an iffy incident in the first 10 minutes of the match where accidental head highs, push in the backs in the coal face occur. Silly idea really.
Would like to see one Captains challenge only in the last 5 minutes of a game. Adelaide would have made the 8 last year. and Freo would have been in with a chance on the weekend

Get rid of the "touch the post is a behind" rule and instead say if the ball goes through the goals, even if it touches the post on the way through then it is a goal. 50% of issues regarding the goal review would be fixed with that one change.
I suggested this too but apparently people don’t want to change the fabric of the game.

I think the captains review is a good idea. It will actually be an honest review since they only get one. The player isn’t going to lie to the captain if he didn’t actually touch it.

What if it hits or goes over the top of a post? Not realistic for a goal post, but a point post...
Have you ever seen the ball hit the exact top of the goalpost and then go over it. I haven’t.

if the ball goes clean over the post the score will be whatever side the kicker is on. Eg if a player kicks it from the left pocket and it goes over the left post it’s a behind. If it goes over the right post it’s a goal. It’s essentially pretending it ricochets in for a score.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you ever seen the ball hit the exact top of the goalpost and then go over it. I haven’t.

if the ball goes clean over the post the score will be whatever side the kicker is on. Eg if a player kicks it from the left pocket and it goes over the left post it’s a behind. If it goes over the right post it’s a goal. It’s essentially pretending it ricochets in for a score.
Honestly, I think you're just trying to fix something that ain't broken anyway.

Honestly, I think you're just trying to fix something that ain't broken anyway.
An injustice is an injustice. Captains Challenge works well in Rugby League they only get one and can be used any time, it is reinstated if the Captain is correct. Quite a few decisions are overturned. Stops dissent

One umpire called touched and another umpire called a mark. That is when the umpires can stop the clock and confer with one another:

In our game v North last year, Taberner got paid a mark (which he juggled over the boundary line). He scored the goal. Then the umpires called a score review. To check if a player had legally marked a ball or not. So it can be done. I don’t know what the difference in this instance was other than the boundary line being a factor?

This is simply incorrect. In the North vs Freo game, they reviewed whether there was a behind scored when he was attempting the mark - he juggled it over the behind line, not the boundary. After the 'mark', as he was lining up the goal umpire was calling for the score review but the field umpires evidently didn't hear him. He took the shot and scored the goal, but they then realised the score review was being called for and checked for that, if it was a mark he'd have been made to take the shot again. You can watch it on the reply (5.10 into the replay below, at ~16.20 to go in the first quarter of that game), it's clear in the audio and vision that this is being called for as he's lining up.

There's often enough difficulty adjudicating whether a goal has been scored using the ARC, when a score is black and white.

A review system would only really be useful for assessing marks (which will usually also be borderline if the umpire has called them incorrectly) or super obvious free kicks - I can't see how a system for reviewing the majority of free kicks could possibly work given how much grey there is in the game.

We're better off without it.

I can't see how a system for reviewing the majority of free kicks could possibly work given how much grey there is in the game.
Exactly it.
The system works in cricket, tennis, and in American sports, because the game has pauses built-in, and you can hone technology onto an exact location (in cricket and tennis) where the event happens.

It is a terrible idea for footy because the game is too fast, the lines aren't straight, there is a lot of grey in adjudication and things can happen anywhere within the bounds of probably the biggest playing surface in world sport.

Exactly it.
The system works in cricket, tennis, and in American sports, because the game has pauses built-in, and you can hone technology onto an exact location (in cricket and tennis) where the event happens.

It is a terrible idea for footy because the game is too fast, the lines aren't straight, there is a lot of grey in adjudication and things can happen anywhere within the bounds of probably the biggest playing surface in world sport.
Yep, people complain enough about goalline vision which is fixed a short distance from the play at usually the best angle.

Even the incident from the weekend was barely obvious on replay until that fan captured vision showed the clear ball deviation.

Such a system would be a nightmare.

Remove this Banner Ad

Challenge System will improve umpiring and fix dissent

Remove this Banner Ad

Back