Challenge System will improve umpiring and fix dissent

Remove this Banner Ad

One umpire called touched and another umpire called a mark. That is when the umpires can stop the clock and confer with one another:

In our game v North last year, Taberner got paid a mark (which he juggled over the boundary line). He scored the goal. Then the umpires called a score review. To check if a player had legally marked a ball or not. So it can be done. I don’t know what the difference in this instance was other than the boundary line being a factor?

Fremantle thought they were first on the board when Matt Taberner snapped a brilliant goal from a juggled mark.

But despite the mark being paid, set and then the goal being kicked, the decision was made to review the juggled attempt.

Replays showed Taberner didn’t complete the mark – so the behind was signalled instead.

I don’t know what the difference in this instance was other than the boundary line being a factor?
Because the passage of play that was being reviewed here directly involved whether or not the ball was live as it crossed the scoring line.

The Aish touch today was only a marking contest, there was no question of if there was a score involved, so its not eligible to be reviewed.

The AFL would want to invest in some decent cameras before considering any of this.

I'm continually amused at the poor quality footage that is used to conduct the goal reviews.

My toaster takes better videos underwater.

imagine paying fairy dissent rule to decide a game after the umpires make a wrong call in the first place.

wasting all your effort playing in the first place

absolute flogs they can be with no feel or skill for discretion.

yes to challenge

better still sack the ones deciding games with bullshit calls

Imagine paying fairy dissent rule to decide a game after the umpires make a wrong call in the first place.

wasting all your effort playing in the first place

absolute flogs they can be with no feel or skill for discretion.

yes to challenge

better still sack the ones deciding games with bullshit calls
Imagine the dissent threshold (and in this case the match result) being based on nothing but how 1 of 4 umpire's emotionally feels about what a player allegedly said. Which the public isn't allowed to know.

"You've probably cost us the game ump" would be a statement of fact.

Thin skinned umps pay things thick skinned umps dont.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Touching a players long hair should be play on

Agree 100%
However yesterday one umpire called touched and another decided to take charge razor ray style and paid a mark.

The umpire who called it touched then froze. That’s why the Freo players were carrying on like pork chops, not because they are School boys umpiring themselves but because the officials weren’t on the same page.

Weird ending to a game.

1 challenge per team per game is not going to have a major impact on extra time but it could prevent end of game scenarios like these
The technology probably needs to catch up to being more definitive to be really good
Can't think of many other sports that don't have these challenge systems except scripted ones like WWE

Challenge system would have helped yesterday. Freo were gifted three or four goals from terrible umpiring decisions in front of goals. Balls that were handballed, no prior opportunity, bumps rather than tackles. We would have won by 4-5 goals if we could have reviewed some of those incredibly biased calls in favour of Freo.

If it hits post and comes back into play its play on.

I know this will send traditionalists into a frenzy but its a no brainer imo.
Well I agree about the no brain part of it.

Grand Final. After the siren. One point the difference. The kick hits the goal post and ... the other side win?
View attachment Bandicam 2024-04-07 08-00-41-398.mp4

PS. The ball wasn't touched by Fyfe yesterday after being kicked but before it. Umps got it right.

This x 1000.

Don't need to go adding any further convoluted systems to an already convoluted set of rules.
Make umpiring a full time gig, and get more of them into the system.
Won't happen, same with the camera and chipped-ball tech. The current administrations goal is to maximise profit at the expense of the integrity of the game

Won't happen, same with the camera and chipped-ball tech. The current administrations goal is to maximise profit at the expense of the integrity of the game

Exactly, get the NSW and QLD teams competitive but don't want them winning premierships.

Keep the vic sides dominating, maximising profit and bonus's for the execs. This is the goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Challenge System will improve umpiring and fix dissent

Remove this Banner Ad

Back