Cripps or Oliver.

Who is the better player

• P. Cripps

Votes: 338 56.5%
  • C. Oliver

Votes: 260 43.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

This debate is just becoming upsetting now. The only Melbourne fan that is sticking around Oliver is Danny. You do have to admire his loyalty however.

It took two average years from Cripps 2020-21 for this debate to even become relevant. I used to love watching Oliver play until I had to read this twat creaming over him for years. It’s not even the main reason I dislike Danny but it’s just the reluctance from him to put his bias aside and admit Cripps is a champion of the game. Most of the fans believe he is and certainly the players do as well. Pretty much everyone in this chat including myself has said we have admired Oliver (before the fall off and preseason) but for me, it’s just your constant bagging of Cripps which has annoyed me.

Obviously I’m biased and don’t really respect someone bag my captain who’s stayed through thick and thin through the hard times and put the team on his back for years on end. Someone who could’ve pissed off to WA on 1.2mil+ a season but the point is he didn’t. If anything, I think what Carlton fans love most about him isn’t even how good of a player he is, it’s just what he’s done for the club and how loyal of a player he is. If Oliver was put into the same position of Cripps - would he have the same mental aptitude and loyalty that Cripps has displayed? I don’t think so. I’m not even gonna discuss their abilities as footballers. I’ve already talked on that, and you know my stance.

This debate is just becoming upsetting now. The only Melbourne fan that is sticking around Oliver is Danny. You do have to admire his loyalty however.

It took two average years from Cripps 2020-21 for this debate to even become relevant. I used to love watching Oliver play until I had to read this twat creaming over him for years. It’s not even the main reason I dislike Danny but it’s just the reluctance from him to put his bias aside and admit Cripps is a champion of the game. Most of the fans believe he is and certainly the players do as well. Pretty much everyone in this chat including myself has said we have admired Oliver (before the fall off and preseason) but for me, it’s just your constant bagging of Cripps which has annoyed me.

Obviously I’m biased and don’t really respect someone bag my captain who’s stayed through thick and thin through the hard times and put the team on his back for years on end. Someone who could’ve pissed off to WA on 1.2mil+ a season but the point is he didn’t. If anything, I think what Carlton fans love most about him isn’t even how good of a player he is, it’s just what he’s done for the club and how loyal of a player he is. If Oliver was put into the same position of Cripps - would he have the same mental aptitude and loyalty that Cripps has displayed? I don’t think so. I’m not even gonna discuss their abilities as footballers. I’ve already talked on that, and you know my stance.
Mate, Cripps has never reached the heights that Oliver has. That's a fact. He's reached the best player in the game according to the coaches 2 years in a row. Now we can debate the credibility of the Brownlow versus the coaches votes until we turn blue in the face but until Cripps reaches the top player in the game then I can't see how this thread is even a thing.

There is no doubt that Oliver has had a massive fall from grace. Does that move the needle? No. It was only last season where even Carlton fans admitted that Oliver was better. How fickle can you be to change your mind over 1 season? A season where Cripps is borderline AA team isn't moving the needle because when Oliver is healthy, he's always a shoe-in for AA. Cripps season this year would still be considered a poor season by Oliver's standards.

Mate, Cripps has never reached the heights that Oliver has. That's a fact. He's reached the best player in the game according to the coaches 2 years in a row. Now we can debate the credibility of the Brownlow versus the coaches votes until we turn blue in the face but until Cripps reaches the top player in the game then I can't see how this thread is even a thing.

There is no doubt that Oliver has had a massive fall from grace. Does that move the needle? No. It was only last season where even Carlton fans admitted that Oliver was better. How fickle can you be to change your mind over 1 season? A season where Cripps is borderline AA team isn't moving the needle because when Oliver is healthy, he's always a shoe-in for AA. Cripps season this year would still be considered a poor season by Oliver's standards.
Oliver is a 3 time All Australian. Patrick Cripps is a 3 time All Australian.

Oliver in 2024 is fat and woeful.

But when one considers their entire careers the picture isn't so clear.

Across their careers Oliver has the more impressive body of work.

Oliver averages more disposals, more marks, more tackles, more inside 50s, more goal assists, more contested possessions, more uncontested possessions and more effective disposals.

Oliver has played 20 games less than Cripps (177 to 197) but already he's amassed more disposals.

Cripps averages more goals and clearances (7.1 to 6.7).

Cripps has the Brownlow and Oliver has twice won the Coaches Association Champion Player Award. Please yourself which you prefer.

For me, Oliver's best over a long time has clearly been better.

Oliver in 2024 is fat and woeful.

But when one considers their entire careers the picture isn't so clear.

Across their careers Oliver has the more impressive body of work.

Oliver averages more disposals, more marks, more tackles, more inside 50s, more goal assists, more contested possessions, more uncontested possessions and more effective disposals.

Oliver has played 20 games less than Cripps (177 to 197) but already he's amassed more disposals.

Cripps averages more goals and clearances (7.1 to 6.7).

Cripps has the Brownlow and Oliver has twice won the Coaches Association Champion Player Award. Please yourself which you prefer.

For me, Oliver's best over a long time has clearly been better.
A few more years of being fat and overweight and he'll be getting compared to George Hewett instead of potential AA captain Cripps

lol. dude, you can't ignore everything that was just said. they are all statistical facts. Also, you yourself preferred Oliver. There's no recovery from that.
Yes when Carlton had lost 10 in a row or whatever it was last year I had a melt. Just like you do every week.

Since then Cripps has proven to be one of the best captains in the league while Clarry has been off snorting lines and chowing down on Big Macs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes when Carlton had lost 10 in a row or whatever it was last year I had a melt. Just like you do every week.

Since then Cripps has proven to be one of the best captains in the league while Clarry has been off snorting lines and chowing down on Big Macs
I've never said that I'd prefer Cripps over Oliver. Not once. Never come close to that. You did. You can talk about leadership all you like. I'm talking about on field performance. It's an act of desperation to talk about leadership. Otherwise Jy Simpkin (co-captain) is better than Dustin Martin.

If Cripps was good enough, he'd warrant a tag.

I've never said that I'd prefer Cripps over Oliver. Not once. Never come close to that. You did. You can talk about leadership all you like. I'm talking about on field performance. It's an act of desperation to talk about leadership. Otherwise Jy Simpkin (co-captain) is better than Dustin Martin.

If Cripps was good enough, he'd warrant a tag.
Cripps does his damage at stoppage and gets molested non stop at them every week. Walsh is the one who hurts on the outside and thus has players run with him afterwards. Would be silly to run with Cripps in open play and let Walsh do whatever he likes.

Cripps does his damage at stoppage and gets molested non stop at them every week. Walsh is the one who hurts on the outside and thus has players run with him afterwards. Would be silly to run with Cripps in open play and let Walsh do whatever he likes.
I'm not saying whether it's the right thing to do to tag Cripps or not to tag him. I'm just saying that he doesn't get tagged and isn't getting tagged this season. Even Oliver, in his lowest of lows, is still copping tags.

I'm not saying whether it's the right thing to do to tag Cripps or not to tag him. I'm just saying that he doesn't get tagged and isn't getting tagged this season. Even Oliver, in his lowest of lows, is still copping tags.
Thats because the rest of Melbourne is too shite to bother with atm, not because he's still some sort of superstar player.

Thats because the rest of Melbourne is too shite to bother with atm, not because he's still some sort of superstar player.
why are you saying atm? you realise his career has been going for like 8 years so far and has been the first player tagged most years.

lol, so smug for a team that needed the umps to scrape you over the line against us. Our midfield is better than yours. you have George Hewett and Kennedy getting quality cbas 😆 🤣

why are you saying atm? you realise his career has been going for like 8 years so far and has been the first player tagged most years.

lol, so smug for a team that needed the umps to scrape you over the line against us. Our midfield is better than yours. you have George Hewett and Kennedy getting quality cbas 😆 🤣
You've got Tom Sparrow getting CBA's lmao. Blues number 1 contested ball team in the comp in 2024, where the the mighty Demons?

Funnily enough I just had a look at the stats and one could easily make the case that Hewett has been better than Clarence in 2024. How embarrassing.

Funnily enough I just had a look at the stats and one could easily make the case that Hewett has been better than Clarence in 2024. How embarrassing.
very smart by you on focussing on this year and not the majority of their careers :) The season that Cripps is currently having is a poor season by Oliver's normal standards. Cripps is having a good season and still likely to miss out on the AA team. That's poor. very poor for career best footy.

very smart by you on focussing on this year and not the majority of their careers :) The season that Cripps is currently having is a poor season by Oliver's normal standards. Cripps is having a good season and still likely to miss out on the AA team. That's poor. very poor for career best footy.
Cripps has kicked 10 goals already this season, you'd be creaming urself if Clarry was kicking snags most weeks.

Back