Cripps vs Bontempelli

Remove this Banner Ad

Good post. Bontempelli is above average with contested ball (12 a game) but isn't a beast in that aspect in my opinion. Further to this Bont goes at 68% efficiency to Cripps 73%.

I said I love both players but I stand by the fact that if I had to choose only one, I'd choose Cripps to get it done in a grand final. He leads the competition in clearances (even playing with a clear injury) and is 5th for average contested possession behind only Priddis, Kennedy, Dangerfield, and Neale in what is effectively only his second season of football. This makes him already an elite pure midfielder at the age of 21.
Just watched the Bont video .... reminds men o much of Cripps with how he uses his handball.

Have to say Bont is in front at the moment but that's not putting anything negative on Cripps.

GiveCripps a coue more years with a team moulded around him and he will be just as good.

I'd hate to say better because these two are both future brow low medalists!

Pretty hard to deny Bont is ahead as an overall and more rounded player.

However if I wanted a contested beast to grit his teeth and play through injury to lead us to victory in a GF, I'd back Crippa every time. He won't stop, short of chainsawing his legs off.

Would love to see Patty kick the ball more. Just think he lacks confidence when kicking, despite being sketchy in front of goal I think hes a decent field kick. Would really add to his game .

Would love to see Patty kick the ball more. Just think he lacks confidence when kicking, despite being sketchy in front of goal I think hes a decent field kick. Would really add to his game .

It's the role he's playing Chooka, he is forced to do all the inside work and since we are so predictable he is tackled the split second he lays his hands all the ball, every time. Aint no way 'The Bont' is dealing with pressure like that and I doubt he nor 98% of the footballers going around today would be able to cop it and still do what Crippa does.

It's the role he's playing Chooka, he is forced to do all the inside work and since we are so predictable he is tackled the split second he lays his hands all the ball, every time. Aint no way 'The Bont' is dealing with pressure like that and I doubt he nor 98% of the footballers going around today would be able to cop it and still do what Crippa does.

You act like nobody ever pressures Bont. If Cripps had Bontempelli's proven ability to move out of congestion he wouldn't be tackled all the time. Bont isn't quick but breaks and evades tackles to get out of places a 194cm 20 year old shouldn't.

You act like nobody ever pressures Bont. If Cripps had Bontempelli's proven ability to move out of congestion he wouldn't be tackled all the time. Bont isn't quick but breaks and evades tackles to get out of places a 194cm 20 year old shouldn't.

Cripps averages 8 clearances a game, he is double the nearest Carlton player and double 'The Bont' who shares the honours with Wallis and Libba. I guess that gives you some idea as to how much time the opposition would be putting into Cripps at stoppages as opposed to 'The Bont'.

Cripps averages 8 clearances a game, he is double the nearest Carlton player and double 'The Bont' who shares the honours with Wallis and Libba. I guess that gives you some idea as to how much time the opposition would be putting into Cripps at stoppages as opposed to 'The Bont'.

Swap the two and that would be reversed. Bontempelli would probably have to sacrifice the rest of his game because he is in a side with limited options.

Until he's done it you just don't know.

The same can be said about Cripps in regards to his all-round game. We're told he can go forward and be dangerous like the Bont can but until he does it you just don't know. We're told Cripps is actually a decent field kick like the Bont but he rarely gets the chance to use it so until he does we just don't know. We're told if it came down to a high pressure grand final it would be Cripps who would perform but until he's done it we just don't know.

The same can be said about Cripps in regards to his all-round game. We're told he can go forward and be dangerous like the Bont can but until he does it you just don't know. We're told Cripps is actually a decent field kick like the Bont but he rarely gets the chance to use it so until he does we just don't know. We're told if it came down to a high pressure grand final it would be Cripps who would perform but until he's done it we just don't know.

Nah Cripps has already done it earlier this year and last year so you are wrong there other than the GF.

Nah Cripps has already done it earlier this year and last year so you are wrong there other than the GF.

He's not at bont's level in either of those facets though. The gap is bigger in those areas than the gap between bontempelli and Cripps in inside work

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same could be said about your opinion of Bont.

I never offered an negative opinion on 'The Bont'. I merely suggested he would struggle with the same kind of attention that Cripps gets, as would 98% of AFL footballers. That said, I have seen plenty of him to form an opinion. Absolute star player but has far more support around him than Cripps does and therefore does not have to deal with what Cripps does.

Look, we can understand there's a level of bias in here. It's the Carlton board and we know you are obviously going to, as Sticks Kernahan famously sung, "Stand by your man". You are entitled to it -- if you had the same discussion on the Bulldogs board a lot would be mentioned about Cripps not being as dynamic as Bont, or having a fairly low DE% and high clanger count for someone who handballs a lot more than he kicks (Cripps DE is marginally higher than Bont's, although Bont kicks the ball a lot more).

A lot of the rating of Cripps to Bontempelli appears to be more guesswork on what Cripps may do in a better side against what Bontempelli may do in a poor side, and rating Cripps on that while underrating Bont at the same time.

What fails to be understood is it isn't like Bontempelli slotted right in to a good side. He was taken at pick four for a reason -- the Dogs had finished low enough to have pick four. For all the talk of Cripps having the ability to stand up in close games, do you not remember Bontempelli in his sixth game did just that? Bulldogs were two goals down with two minutes to play. Bont kicked two in a minute, one after dispossessing a former AA defender in Frawley and then breaking a tackle and kicking from the boundary on his non-preferred to put the Dogs six points up. 30 seconds later he took an intercept mark at centre half back to seal the game.

And that is just one of his matchwinning games. Four times this year Bontempelli has been unanimous best on ground according to the coach's votes. Even in a loss last weekend he still got eight votes.

You are welcome to fantasise about what Cripps may do, most prefer to just watch what Bont does.

No bias here, take a look in the mirror, you are the one forming an opinion without actually seeing anything. I'm not fantasising about Cripps, I've seen it happen. You obviously haven't as you alluded to. You really shouldn't offer up an opinion because you haven't taken the time to watch him, simple as that. Crow about 'The Bont' all you want, but just don't compare. You know what they say about assumption, it's the mother of all **** ups!

No bias here, take a look in the mirror, you are the one forming an opinion without actually seeing anything. I'm not fantasising about Cripps, I've seen it happen. You obviously haven't as you alluded to. You really shouldn't offer up an opinion because you haven't taken the time to watch him, simple as that. Crow about 'The Bont' all you want, but just don't compare. You know what they say about assumption, it's the mother of all **** ups!
So you're saying that Cripps' contested ball dominance and contested ball far outweighs what Bonts all round game in making Cripps the better player ? Even you must have to admit Bont has shown more in different areas of his game outside of the contested stuff?

So you're saying that Cripps' contested ball dominance and contested ball far outweighs what Bonts all round game in making Cripps the better player ?

No, I'm saying Cripps is the sole focus of opposition teams at the stoppages and therefore has more to deal with, 'The Bont' has more support around him, yet Cripps still gets the job done but obviously is unable to get outside ball at this stage due to his role in the team, not due to deficiencies in his game. When Cripps has more support around him, like 'The Bont', then we will see the Cripps we saw last year and earlier this year. Also, some will note, Cripps' leg has been strapped like a mummy since round 5 this year.

Seriously, every Blues poster has pretty much stated that Bont is ahead, but Cripps has been hampered by a lack of support and therefore a greater amount of opposition attention.

Then the Doggies fans jump in with "Shut up, Bont is soooo much better - nyaaah".

FFS guys, we've said Bont is tracking better. We're just mindful of the obstacles Patty has faced in a struggling side.

Look, we can understand there's a level of bias in here. It's the Carlton board and we know you are obviously going to, as Sticks Kernahan famously sung, "Stand by your man". You are entitled to it -- if you had the same discussion on the Bulldogs board a lot would be mentioned about Cripps not being as dynamic as Bont, or having a fairly low DE% and high clanger count for someone who handballs a lot more than he kicks (Cripps DE is marginally higher than Bont's, although Bont kicks the ball a lot more).

A lot of the rating of Cripps to Bontempelli appears to be more guesswork on what Cripps may do in a better side against what Bontempelli may do in a poor side, and rating Cripps on that while underrating Bont at the same time.

What fails to be understood is it isn't like Bontempelli slotted right in to a good side. He was taken at pick four for a reason -- the Dogs had finished low enough to have pick four. For all the talk of Cripps having the ability to stand up in close games, do you not remember Bontempelli in his sixth game did just that? Bulldogs were two goals down with two minutes to play. Bont kicked two in a minute, one after dispossessing a former AA defender in Frawley and then breaking a tackle and kicking from the boundary on his non-preferred to put the Dogs six points up. 30 seconds later he took an intercept mark at centre half back to seal the game.

And that is just one of his matchwinning games. Four times this year Bontempelli has been unanimous best on ground according to the coach's votes. Even in a loss last weekend he still got eight votes.

You are welcome to fantasise about what Cripps may do, most prefer to just watch what Bont does.

Is that a metaphor for a pissing contest?

If so it really illustrates Cripps' one trick vs Bontempelli's multi-faceted game :p

Look this is the Carlton Board and you don't come on here 'bagging' one of our players & stirring up the locals.

It won't end well.

We get it you rate Bont & not Cripps!

BYE!

#obvioustrollisobvious

Says Cripps has a fairly low DE% despite it being higher than Bonts... lol

Ignores the fact that the majority of Cripps' possessions are contested and thus harder to be efficient, unlike the bont.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cripps vs Bontempelli

Remove this Banner Ad

Back