Cripps vs Bontempelli

Remove this Banner Ad

I love (hate) the way these vs threads just turn into a big pissing contest. Bont's day in the office, in just his 17th game. It's almost as if you're arguing against yourself. I don't think anyone here is downplaying his skill (quite the opposite from what I see), but you still seem to be defending him with more evidence of his brilliance.
He's a great young player who still has a long and storied career ahead of him.
Cripps managed a stat line of 33 touches (23 contested), 11 tackles, a goal and 8 clearances in just his 6th game. He had the rare privelage of having a top midfielder (Pendles) run with him to try and negate his influence on the game, before he'd even played 20 games.
But who cares? Pretty much just Carlton supporters.
You called out stefoid for making this a "pissing contest" then you proceed to do exactly what you called him out for?.. But I may point out that Cripps had the benefit of performing in his 6th game by already being on an AFL list for 18 months.

You called out stefoid for making this a "pissing contest" then you proceed to do exactly what you called him out for?.. But I may point out that Cripps had the benefit of performing in his 6th game by already being on an AFL list for 18 months.
You clearly missed my point (and helped prove it at the same time). They've both done amazing things in short periods of time. They're both at the start of what should be long and fruitful careers. Doggies supporters aren't really that interested in Cripps' achievements and Carlton supporters aren't too fussed about Bont's, but rather than accepting that Cripps' breakout game, at game 6, was an amazing achievement, you downplay it as though it should almost be expected due to the amount of time he has been on a list, even though he only played 3 senior games and a handful of VFL thanks to a broken leg (hardly a great lead up to a first 6 games.
Bont is probably ahead at the moment, but has played roughly, what, double the games?
I'd be happy to compare their first 50 games when they get there, but it would still turn out being the same circular argument.
Personally I wish Bont and the Doggies all the best (always liked them and my fiancé supports them). I couldn't care if Bont ends up being the best player in the league, as long as Cripps becomes the best that HE can be and maybe wins a Brownlow and a few flags along the way.

You clearly missed my point (and helped prove it at the same time). They've both done amazing things in short periods of time. They're both at the start of what should be long and fruitful careers. Doggies supporters aren't really that interested in Cripps' achievements and Carlton supporters aren't too fussed about Bont's, but rather than accepting that Cripps' breakout game, at game 6, was an amazing achievement, you downplay it as though it should almost be expected due to the amount of time he has been on a list, even though he only played 3 senior games and a handful of VFL thanks to a broken leg (hardly a great lead up to a first 6 games.
Bont is probably ahead at the moment, but has played roughly, what, double the games?
I'd be happy to compare their first 50 games when they get there, but it would still turn out being the same circular argument.
Personally I wish Bont and the Doggies all the best (always liked them and my fiancé supports them). I couldn't care if Bont ends up being the best player in the league, as long as Cripps becomes the best that HE can be and maybe wins a Brownlow and a few flags along the way.
I totally agree with that and fully expect Cripps to have a stronger start to the pre season due to Bont recovering from off season surgery for most of it.
One thing that has surprised me while looking at the ages of both players is that Bont is 9 months younger.
Didn't realise he only turned 20 a month before Christmas.

I totally agree with that and fully expect Cripps to have a stronger start to the pre season due to Bont recovering from off season surgery for most of it.
One thing that has surprised me while looking at the ages of both players is that Bont is 9 months younger.
Didn't realise he only turned 20 a month before Christmas.

I believe cripps is the better midfielder but the Bont is a better all round player if that makes sense

May I point out that Cripps broke his leg in his 1st season and only played 3 games for the year in 2014.

I know I'm bias, but I think even now, Cripps is better. I have always been the fan of the extractors and hence value Cripps more.

I dont think there is s better as they are so different, but in terms of value to CFC right now i wouldnt take anyone in the comp over Cripps..... maybe i could be swayed for Jesse Hogan.. but we are a young group desperate of leadership and have a 21yo kid who is a midfield beast, loves the club and wants to be a leader for the next 10 years at Princes park and to top that off is tracking to be a genuine elite level footballer.

Bont is probably more in the Nat Fyfe mould where he has exceptional talent and can do things no other player can, he will single handidly win games of his own boot and plays as an individual. This is why we need Cripps more than a player like Bontempelli.. not that Cripps is a better player than Bont.

Both these blokes have the potential to be the two superstars of the Comp similar to what Gaz and Judd have been for years passed. And Voss, Hird and Buckley before them. Can't go wrong with either one of them and there is no right or wrong answer as to who is the better player. Good times.

Both these blokes have the potential to be the two superstars of the Comp similar to what Gaz and Judd have been for years passed. And Voss, Hird and Buckley before them. Can't go wrong with either one of them and there is no right or wrong answer as to who is the better player. Good times.
Please don't put Buckley along side the names you mentioned, Now HE is overrated... Why doesn't Riccuito ever get mentioned? Way better then Bucks imo!! Anyways Cripps will go past the Bont at some stage in their careers if he hasn't done so already, Cripps has more upside and although the bont is a freak, is one of my favs and is an all rounder, I beleive Cripps will be a better leader and turn more games off his own boot, It's 3am and my bias is in overdriveeeee.... weeeeeeeee

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was sitting back in the Marcellin sports stadium the other night and was reading the honour boards. Bontempelli obviously went there and was overall sports captain for 2 or 3 years. I love watching both of them play and hope they can create an on field rivalry for the next decade.

I was sitting back in the Marcellin sports stadium the other night and was reading the honour boards. Bontempelli obviously went there and was overall sports captain for 2 or 3 years. I love watching both of them play and hope they can create an on field rivalry for the next decade.

Agree with the previous poster who suggested in the next couple of years will be the Ablett v Judd debate. If both reach those heights, then I for one will be stoked.

And I'd say for Bont's best Carlton comparison you'd probably have to go back to Koutoufides.

Both outside the typical moulds, physically and stylistically. It's a little hard to predict what sort of player Bont will evolve into, whereas Cripps seems to have a more defined projected career arc as a topline contested mid.

The Bont is very similar to Kouta when he moved into the midfield even has the one handed pick up in his bag of tricks.
But he doesn't have anywhere near the marking power Kouta had in his earlier days.
When Kouta was in his prime he was taking 10-15 marks (so many of them contested) a game.

Cripps is similar to Kennedy, but bigger and potentially a more dynamic player.
IMO Cripps had a better year then Bont in 2015.
Can't wait to see these two guns play this year.
Carlton and Doggie supporters are lucky to have two of the most exciting young talents in the game ATM.

I doubt it would be accurate reflection of Cripps effectiveness untll he has played round 40 games. My post is about how good Bonts season really was rather than Cripps' year. If you watch the vs. eagles video, thats a day in the office for the Bont, not a highlights video - his 17th game of AFL footy.

Maybe you should have a look at Cripps' game v Collingwood last year then. My ditto in return.

Bont is probably more in the Nat Fyfe mould where he has exceptional talent and can do things no other player can, he will single handidly win games of his own boot and plays as an individual.

selling the guy a bit short, Bont already seems to be an exceptional team player and leader. Promoted to the leadership group this year

Both players have the potential to be the biggest names in the sport, I love Patty Cripps and how he goes about it but if you are starting a team from scratch at this current point in their careers I think the Bont is in front. If Crippa can hurt opponents more this year on the score board then he should surpass Bont.
I am looking forward to seeing Cripps going head to head with Wines and Viney (My tip for break out player of the year)

Remove this Banner Ad

Cripps vs Bontempelli

Remove this Banner Ad

Back