Croad vs Mooney

Remove this Banner Ad

Roughead has only kicked 3 goals in his last 4 matches against Geelong. Franklin 7 goals from 3 matches. So there's room for improvement there also.

Geelong's forward line doesnt depend on Mooney kicking a bag so i'm not too concerned about Croad, plus his injury will help Mooney obviously.

Hawk0373 said:
He loves playing Hawthorn.:rolleyes:
So does Gamble.:)

We've been hearing that all year from ignorant opposition supporters. I can assure you that Bomber and his troops aren't as daft as you mate, they will be giving Croad et al the utmost respect come Saturday.

I agree about Blake needing to hold his own, not too sure about Ottens as a forward but he would definitely cause headaches if Bomber had the luxury of being able to throw him down there...

Croad will beat Mooney if he plays on him all night.

A team with a defence that is average at best does not make a Grand Final.

We have been hearing for the last 2 years that our forward line is no good as well yet we seem to kick a lot of winning scores.

I think as soon as you dont have a superstar KPP up forward or down back you get labeled as average no matter how good the collective 6 are.

Croad shouldn't be worried about Mooney, he should be thinking of when Ottens goes down forward. Mooney will proberly spend most of his time @ CHF or up the wing dragging Croad out of the forward line. You have to remember there are six players up forwards, Croad can't stop them all.

Don't know why everybody's going on about Mooney and Lonergan.

S Johnson, Chapman and Stokes are all capable of kicking 3+ tomorrow.

Exactly right. If anything, those two are the 'decoy' forwards that are there simply to feed/provide the ground-ball for the other blokes.

I'm well worried about Johnson since Murphy wasn't picked. Which really has me stumped as we have no realistic match-up for him.

Does Trent Croad have the wood on Cameron Mooney? Let's look at the last two matches:

R17, 2008
7 kicks, 3 handpasses, 5 marks, 1 goal and 1 goal assist.

R4, 2007
8 kicks, 1 handpass, 6 marks, 0 goals, 2 points and 1 goal assist.

In fact, Mooney has kicked just two goals in his last five matches against the Hawks. With Chapman, Varcoe and Stokes all not 100% fit, and Lonergan held goalless in the R17 clash for the only time all season, is the much-discussed weakness in the Hawks backline not going to be an issue? Is there a problem here for the Cats in figuring out how to kick enough goals?

Discuss.

Hmm - a reasonable quality defender on a below par quality forward - you'd hope he'd beat him

We've been hearing that all year from ignorant opposition supporters. I can assure you that Bomber and his troops aren't as daft as you mate, they will be giving Croad et al the utmost respect come Saturday.

I agree about Blake needing to hold his own, not too sure about Ottens as a forward but he would definitely cause headaches if Bomber had the luxury of being able to throw him down there...

Croad will beat Mooney if he plays on him all night.

A team with a defence that is average at best does not make a Grand Final.

I agree. Perhaps lack the true defensive skills some of the better backlines over the years have had, but very effective nonetheless, Hodge has been sensational as a loose backman, he's done more good work in one season than Johncock and Mattner have done in their careers as a loose "defender". Slightly off topic, shows how ******ed the brownlow is when he only received 2 votes for the year. Outrageous!!! :rolleyes:

IMO, Geelong have Scarlett in the backline and Stevie J in the forward line... the rest of Geelong's success lies in their midfield. Great midfield, one of the best ever, average anywhere else- distinguish average from terrible.

Key Matches up's for tomorrow Grand Final.

Hawthorn Vs Geelong

Franklin - Scarlett
Roughead - Taylor
Bateman - Ablett
Sewell - Bartel
Mitchell - Ling
Hodge - Rooke
Williams - Harley
Croad - Mooney
Lewis - Selwood
Ladson - S.Johnson

My Tip Geelong by 28pts
Norm Smith: Joel Corey

Key Matches up's for tomorrow Grand Final.

Hawthorn Vs Geelong

Franklin - Scarlett
Roughead - Taylor
Bateman - Ablett
Sewell - Bartel
Mitchell - Ling
Hodge - Rooke
Williams - Harley
Croad - Mooney
Lewis - Selwood
Ladson - S.Johnson

My Tip Geelong by 28pts
Norm Smith: Joel Corey

Match ups look generally OK but you've forgotten about Josh Hunt, who is a certainty to start on Mark Williams.

I think we'll give Enright a semi-tagging job on Rioli, and can't see any logical match ups for Harley and Milburn - although I'm sure both will get stints on Buddy at some point.

IMO, Geelong have Scarlett in the backline and Stevie J in the forward line... the rest of Geelong's success lies in their midfield. Great midfield, one of the best ever, average anywhere else- distinguish average from terrible.

For such an average back line care to explain the past two years where we have conceded the least amount of points? What is your next pearls of wisdom? It can't just be down to our midfield pressure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For such an average back line care to explain the past two years where we have conceded the least amount of points? What is your next pearls of wisdom? It can't just be down to our midfield pressure.

If an opponent of Geelong's can't get the ball out of the midfield how are they to get it into their forward line?

(as they line up on AFL.com.au so there are no arguments as to where they play)

Backs
Hunt - average
Harley - average
Milburn - gun
Mackie - average
Scarlett - gun
Taylor - average

Forwards
Mooney - average
Johnson - gun
Lonergan - average
Stokes - average
Chapman - average
Bartel - gun

Followers/Centres
Ottens - gun
Ablett - gun
Corey - gun
Ling - gun
Enright - average
Selwood -gun

If an opponent of Geelong's can't get the ball out of the midfield how are they to get it into their forward line?

(as they line up on AFL.com.au so there are no arguments as to where they play)

Backs
Hunt - average
Harley - average
Milburn - gun
Mackie - average
Scarlett - gun
Taylor - average

Forwards
Mooney - average
Johnson - gun
Lonergan - average
Stokes - average
Chapman - average
Bartel - gun

Followers/Centres
Ottens - gun
Ablett - gun
Corey - gun
Ling - gun
Enright - average
Selwood -gun

Yeah, ok.

In relation to the OP, Mooney hasn't been a forward for all of the last five times we've played (although yes for the last two).

You have to laugh at some of the people saying Geelong's forward line is a wekaness. Has anyoen seen our scores over the last two years?

Yeah, ok.

IMO if Chapman were in any other team he'd be an average player. NOT TERRIBLE, average. When you have the likes of Corey, Ablett, Selwood etc. in the middle you could make any forward line look like champions.

I understand what it is like to be an arrogant supporter and of course being the reigning premiers you have every right to be arrogant... but your team does not shoot bolts of fire out their arse, you may have already met your match! ;)

Not to say you but it will be interesting to see how many Cats supporters jump off the wagon if Geelong lose tomorrow, perhaps start calling for Thompson's head again.

In relation to the OP, Mooney hasn't been a forward for all of the last five times we've played (although yes for the last two).

You have to laugh at some of the people saying Geelong's forward line is a wekaness. Has anyoen seen our scores over the last two years?

It is all an illusion teams let Geelong score points and are extra nice by not getting many themselves.

I am also glad to have an average Chapman in the Geelong side. Imagine what he could do if he was any good.

It's your unbelievable midfield which provides your forward line with so many opportunities. Your forward line does its job but its an average forward line overall, not a great one.

IMO if Chapman were in any other team he'd be an average player. NOT TERRIBLE, average. When you have the likes of Corey, Ablett, Selwood etc. in the middle you could make any forward line look like champions.

I understand what it is like to be an arrogant supporter and of course being the reigning premiers you have every right to be arrogant... but your team does not shoot bolts of fire out their arse, you may have already met your match! ;)

Not to say you but it will be interesting to see how many Cats supporters jump off the wagon if Geelong lose tomorrow, perhaps start calling for Thompson's head again.

This post show you have no idea about football. I agree that when a team is dominant some players can be overrated, but to suggest Paul Chapman is such show no football knowledge whatsoever.

This guy is the heart and soul of the team, he sets standards both on and off the field. When we lost to the Pies this year, Chappy was a late withdrawal, watching the game we really missed his leadership and toughness out there.

Also he is far from a downhill skier. In 2006, Geelong's worst year for a while I'll let you guess who was best and fairest. Chappy also came 8th in the Brownlow that year, really average player there.

Please don't post on this topic again, you have no idea.

This post show you have no idea about football. I agree that when a team is dominant some players can be overrated, but to suggest Paul Chapman is such show no football knowledge whatsoever.

This guy is the heart and soul of the team, he sets standards both on and off the field. When we lost to the Pies this year, Chappy was a late withdrawal, watching the game we really missed his leadership and toughness out there.

Also he is far from a downhill skier. In 2006, Geelong's worst year for a while I'll let you guess who was best and fairest. Chappy also came 8th in the Brownlow that year, really average player there.

Please don't post on this topic again, you have no idea.

Sorry, where did Chappy come in the B & F when Geelong were good?

Take your head out of your arse for just one moment, I realise he's a good leader, he works hard but the best leader in your team is supposedly Harley and he's arguably the worst footballer in your team so that hardly equates to Chapman to being a gun based on leadership.

Chapman is extremely reliable and you can always rely on him to run in a straight line at a contest but I don't think that puts him in the league of Ablett, Bartel, Franklin or Hodge hence I called him average and not a gun. Maybe I should have had average, gun and champion... but alas I did not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Croad vs Mooney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back