Crouch

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree mostly. It's a good opportunity to lock in top talent. What is important is that we have at least one reasonable pick this year. Ideally that would be 17 or 25 but a pick in the 30s might be ok. If the Hill trade that has been reported elsewhere is accurate then we could consider bundling that with our compo pick and pick 17 and getting 25 back.

We still need to be at least somewhat careful though. Right now Crouch is seen as a likely top five pick. If we don't have a great season next year the compo pick might be worth something in the range of 6-10. Crouch could be a Jackson Trengrove/Dustin Martin but he could just as easily be a Brock McLean or Chris Masten.

I would be extremely hesitant to trade both 17 and the compo pick with no pick coming back unless Dalrymple determines that all of the real talent will be gone by 25 anyway.

Historically, picks in the range of 17+ are quite draft-quality dependent. In a thin draft they are basically random, in a deep draft they are useful.

2003 - wont go there :)
2004 (thin) McQualter, Wood, Willits
2005 (thin) Pfiffer, Bailey, Dempsey
2006 (average) Hampsen, Jetta Grigg
2007 (deepish) Taylor, Rance, Ward
2008 (deep) Blease, Shuey, Strauss

I think in a thin draft, not having a first rounder is no great risk.

Risk and opportunity.

Not much info on him here, so below is a short Bio on Crouch. No mention on his leg speed, which we will need in the next few years with Walllis/Libba in the guts;

Brad Crouch is one of the twenty five GWS mini draft nominees and in many peoples minds is the second best 17 year old footballer going around.

Crouch is rated highly as he is already considered a complete midfielder, he can play inside the packs and win the football for his team mates or he can play just outside and link up to great effect.

Crouch’s disposal is very good but beyond that it is very consistent, like the rest of his game you know exactly what to expect of Crouch.

Crouch is likely to be selected second in the GWS mini-draft, if he isn’t he’ll be a top five pick when he nominates for the regular draft.

HE'S not eligible until next year's AFL draft, but North Ballarat coach David Loader says Brad Crouch is already the ''complete package.''
Crouch powered the Rebels to a 67-point win against the Northern Knights on Saturday, capping a 31-possession performance with a classy goal.

And the 184cm midfielder could be added to an AFL list for next season, under rules that allow Greater Western Sydney to list and trade the best four 17-year-olds born before April 30, 1994.

But Crouch, who is built identical to Brock McLean, would still be ineligible to debut until 2013.

''Hes really well-grounded, which is holding him in great stead. He trains like he thinks hes the second or third best in the group, not the first,'' Loader said.

Crouch has impressed for Vic Contry this year, as has Rebels captain Nick OBrien, who slotted 5.2 and ran the Knights defenders off their feet with his repeated leading.

He is quick. I read it in a few places. quick , hard and skillful. Complete footballer apperently.

Historically, picks in the range of 17+ are quite draft-quality dependent. In a thin draft they are basically random, in a deep draft they are useful.

2003 - wont go there :)
2004 (thin) McQualter, Wood, Willits
2005 (thin) Pfiffer, Bailey, Dempsey
2006 (average) Hampsen, Jetta Grigg
2007 (deepish) Taylor, Rance, Ward
2008 (deep) Blease, Shuey, Strauss

I think in a thin draft, not having a first rounder is no great risk.

Risk and opportunity.

I see where you are coming from and wouldn't condemn the club for it if they did it. I'm just wary of putting all of our eggs in the one basket. If there is a VFL/SANFL player we are thinking of targeting I would ask that they include that as part of the deal if they want the two picks at least.

I see where you are coming from and wouldn't condemn the club for it if they did it. I'm just wary of putting all of our eggs in the one basket. If there is a VFL/SANFL player we are thinking of targeting I would ask that they include that as part of the deal if they want the two picks at least.

yes, smart.

Word on twitter is that the Crows appear to have gotten pick 2 and will get crouch, with GC getting pick 1 and O'meara

Not confirmed, and I don't see how it could even happen. What AFC could be giving is #10 and #24, but Melbourne can offer better than that, easily.
We could even offer equal, if not more.

I dont expect it to be true, and I dont think it will be sorted until close to the deadline tomorrow.

Not confirmed, and I don't see how it could even happen. What AFC could be giving is #10 and #24, but Melbourne can offer better than that, easily.
We could even offer equal, if not more.

I dont expect it to be true, and I dont think it will be sorted until close to the deadline tomorrow.

Crows have a compo pick for Davis, and pick 10. Melbourne have a compo pick for Sculley (two actually) and pick 12.

If GWS tries to scam this to get Omeara, then I hope the crows or whoever they set up reneg and stiff them, that would be hilarious.

The mini-draft is an absolute joke if GWS gets O'Maera. The system was designed to encourage clubs to trade with GWS. They've already poached four talented young players from other clubs, have the first three picks in this year's draft (with an offer of the fourth) and will likely get the first pick next year. It's getting out of hand. They're shafting the system left, right and centre.

From the tweets mentioned on the crows board, it looks like crows have landed pick 2 in the MD. They have compo pick, pick 10 and pick 28 to play with.

I reckon the compo pick and pick 10 would get them the chocolates. If it was compo+28, I would hope the dogs trump them with 17, but the tweets sound like crows have it wrapped up.

The mini-draft is an absolute joke if GWS gets O'Maera. The system was designed to encourage clubs to trade with GWS. They've already poached four talented young players from other clubs, have the first three picks in this year's draft (with an offer of the fourth) and will likely get the first pick next year. It's getting out of hand. They're shafting the system left, right and centre.

The AFL has already knocked this on the head, GWS must trade away the 17 year olds in the miini draft. they can not play for GWS .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They knocked back one specific trade because it was not a proper 'on-trade'. They have not ruled out GWS getting pick one in the mini-draft.

There for they will knock back a trade if that looked like happening

Game over. Adelaide with Pick #10 and compo pick, in exchange for MD2 and #14, unless someone can trump it

is our compo pick + 17 + 14 (GWS gets to keep) >> crows compo pick + 10 ?

3 slightly lower value picks vs 2 slightly high picks.

Its a line ball.

Game over. Adelaide with Pick #10 and compo pick, in exchange for MD2 and #14, unless someone can trump it

is our compo pick + 17 + 14 (GWS gets to keep) >> crows compo pick + 10 ?

3 slightly lower value picks vs 2 slightly high picks.

Its a line ball.

Couldn't we have thrown in an Addison/Stack/3rd round pick to sweetner that deal? I mean, they need ready players as well.

Can't we move for the 3rd pick which apparently is still just as good as Crouch?

Ward Combo + Reid/Gillbee/Addison for Pick 3 in MD and Pick 25?

Isnt there talk that Adel wouldnt even pick Crouch?

I always thought they would take Ben Kennedy, if they got a mini draft pick. No one from Adelaide has even said they are taking Crouch yet, either. All media speculation.

I think Crouch is better than Kennedy, but just think the crows would rather get someone from SA. We will have to wait and see.

I always thought they would take Ben Kennedy, if they got a mini draft pick. No one from Adelaide has even said they are taking Crouch yet, either. All media speculation.

I think Crouch is better than Kennedy, but just think the crows would rather get someone from SA. We will have to wait and see.

Why?

Bock and Davis were both SA boys yet it did not make any difference. If Crouch says he's happy to go to SA, then I can't see why you wouldn't pick the best available player.

Why?

Bock and Davis were both SA boys yet it did not make any difference. If Crouch says he's happy to go to SA, then I can't see why you wouldn't pick the best available player.

Wasn't Davis from Canberra?

Forgot about Crouch saying he is happy to go anywhere. Disregard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Crouch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back