Strategy Crows 2023 Forwards vs 2017 Forwards

Remove this Banner Ad

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Our forward line is taking shape nicely throughout season 2022, with the rise of a young gun in Rachele and the consolidation of the Fog. With the further addition of Rankine into the mix for 2023, it’s looking pretty exciting for the footy lovers and goal admirers alike.

In recent history, our most exciting and effective forward structure was in 2017, so I’d thought an interesting point of conversation is to ask “how do we compare now up forward, compared with the year where the likes of Betts, Tex, Jenkins and Lynch were at their prime?”

Prime forwards in 2017:
  • Tex
  • Jenkins
  • Lynch
  • Betts
  • Cameron
  • McGovern

Prime forwards in 2023:
  • Tex
  • Fog
  • McAdam
  • Rachele
  • Rankine
  • Thilthorpe
  • Other? Berg/Gollant/Murphy/McHenry..?

Last edited:
To honesty discuss the forward line, you must firstly look at the midfield. The midfield, wing and half back in the area who deliver the ball.

The forward line convert the chances given.

Since our midfield still suck, we can not compare the 2023 forward line to 2017 as we can not anticipate the ball movement or delivery.

Could you imagine trying leading to Ben Keays, Rory Laird or Matt Crouch?

To honesty discuss the forward line, you must firstly look at the midfield. The midfield, wing and half back in the area who deliver the ball.

Since our midfield still suck, we can not compare the 2023 forward line to 2017 as we can not anticipate the ball movement or delivery.

Matt Crouch has good delivery by foot when he's aiming at a target, Laird too. Whether they choose the option is a differebt question though. Only Keays can't hit targets leading at him. Towards the end of the year we saw more our mids progressing the ball on foot and delaying gives to release a player in a better position. The previous strategy of immediately indiscriminately hacking forward off a step seems to have been addressed. Not eliminated, but I think we're on our way.

Matt Crouch has good delivery by foot when he's aiming at a target, Laird too. Whether they choose the option is a differebt question though. Only Keays can't hit targets leading at him. Towards the end of the year we saw more our mids progressing the ball on foot and delaying gives to release a player in a better position. The previous strategy of immediately indiscriminately hacking forward off a step seems to have been addressed. Not eliminated, but I think we're on our way.

I would also like to see that helicopter smashed kick out if a pack that goes no where coaches out of our midfield as well. The girls midfield do that as well, so it’s clearly a club cultural thing.

Anyway, the midfield is a huge reason to see if the forwards can be successful or not. We still have a horrible midfield, that will totally impact the success of the 2023 forward line.

Our forward line is taking shape nicely throughout season 2022, with the rise of a young gun in Rachele and the consolidation of the Fog. With the further addition of Rankine into the mix for 2023, it’s looking pretty exciting for the footy lovers and goal admirers alike.

In recent history, our most exciting and effective forward structure was in 2017, so I’d thought an interesting point of conversation is to ask “how do we compare now up forward, compared with the year where the likes of Betts, Tex, Jenkins and Lynch were at their prime?”

Prime forwards in 2017:
  • Tex
  • Jenkins
  • Lynch
  • Betts
  • Cameron
  • McGovern

Prime forwards in 2023:
  • Tex
  • Fog
  • McAdam
  • Rachele
  • Rankine
  • ?Berg/Gollant/Murphy/McHenry/other?
Where is Thilthorpe?

Prime forwards in 2017:

Tex
  • Jenkins
  • Lynch
  • Betts
  • Cameron
  • McGovern

Prime forwards in 2023:
  • Tex
  • Fog
  • McAdam
  • Rachele
  • Rankine
  • Thilthorpe
Tex = Tex
Thilthorpe = Jenkins
McAdam= Lynch
Rankine = Betts
Rachele= Cameron
Fog= McGovern

Then compare mids
2017 mids
Crouch
Crouch
Sloane
Mckay
Atkins
Knight

Not great reading.

Crouch
Dawson
Laird
Keays
Rachele
Rankine
Pedlar
Berry
Soligo

I would also like to see that helicopter smashed kick out if a pack that goes no where coaches out of our midfield as well. The girls midfield do that as well, so it’s clearly a club cultural thing.

Anyway, the midfield is a huge reason to see if the forwards can be successful or not. We still have a horrible midfield, that will totally impact the success of the 2023 forward line.

it is bad, but there are signs of improvement. So even if they don't get consistent quality delivery, I expect we'll see examples where they do and that'll start painting the picture of where they can get to.

I guess I was talking both in terms of how we’d go up forward for next year, as well as comparisons with the current crop when in prime form. Obviously I don’t expect our young forwards to reach peak output next year but hoping around the next 2-3 years.

Tex
  • Jenkins
  • Lynch
  • Betts
  • Cameron
  • McGovern

Prime forwards in 2023:
  • Tex
  • Fog
  • McAdam
  • Rachele
  • Rankine
  • Thilthorpe
Tex = Tex
Thilthorpe = Jenkins
McAdam= Lynch
Rankine = Betts
Rachele= Cameron
Fog= McGovern
I see McAdam being closer to McGovern (resemblance with the pack marks and the chasing and tackling pressure).

Lynch is someone who we’ve yet to properly emulate. Fog might be the guy if his fitness further improves, and he can then spend more time in the midfield.

Don’t care what anyone thinks; Jenkins was a gun footballer for us and I’ll be happy if Thilly ends up on par with him by the end of his career. JJ was criminally underrated purely because of where he ‘got’ his goals. Facts are he kicked goals. And a lot of them. Yes, Thilly has way more upside. But talent often doesn’t equate to sheer output.

And while I’m at it, Lynch was also criminally underrated. Was the best link man in the comp in his prime. This current forward line has a long way to go before it can tie the shoelaces of the 2017 version, which also had arguably the best two small forwards of the last decade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t care what anyone thinks; Jenkins was a gun footballer for us and I’ll be happy if Thilly ends up on par with him by the end of his career. JJ was criminally underrated purely because of where he ‘got’ his goals. Facts are he kicked goals. And a lot of them. Yes, Thilly has way more upside. But talent often doesn’t equate to sheer output.

And while I’m at it, Lynch was also criminally underrated. Was the best link man in the comp in his prime. This current forward line has a long way to go before it can tie the shoelaces of the 2017 version, which also had arguably the best two small forwards of the last decade.

Look, I agree with you that Josh Jenkins was a very good football player and we ended up winning that trade week Essendon. He squeezed every bit of talent out of his body.

However, if Riley Thilthorpe only ends up at the level of Josh Jenkins, his career will be a massive waste. Pick 2 should become a much better player than Josh jenkins ever was and that’s not putting Josh down.

Look, I agree with you that Josh Jenkins was a very good football player and we ended up winning that trade week Essendon. He squeezed every bit of talent out of his body.

However, if Riley Thilthorpe only ends up at the level of Josh Jenkins, his career will be a massive waste. Pick 2 should become a much better player than Josh jenkins ever was and that’s not putting Josh down.
I def get your point about wanting a pick 2 to exceed JJ’s career output. But I’ve seen enough bust top 10 KPP players in my time to not be too upset with that result. Of course, I do think Thilly has shown enough that I certainly wouldn’t be surprised if he has a great career.

Sloane and ROB probably the worst of the lot for horrible delivery inside F50. The latter should be banned from kicking the ball full stop.

I def get your point about wanting a pick 2 to exceed JJ’s career output. But I’ve seen enough bust top 10 KPP players in my time to not be too upset with that result. Of course, I do think Thilly has shown enough that I certainly wouldn’t be surprised if he has a great career.

Yeah, fair enough. IMO 300 goals over a career is a very good effort. Would clearly like 600 goals but 300 would be ok as well.

Would not turn that down.

Sunday sesh going strong 🤙
friday-ladies-and-gentlemen.gif

Maybe a better hope is the goal scoring potency and some other attributes on par with Jenkins but the added value of being able to regularly clunk pack marks both with bail out long down the line kicks (so valuable in todays game being the difference between a throw in on the wing and a F50 entry) and at the top of the square (maybe as many goal square goals as JJ but from marking prowess rather than speed/agility to capitalize on our slingshot game plan)

Regarding the midfield, I feel we are starting to address the delivery issues, but too often last year, the forwards wouldn't lead at the ball but ran backwards, wanting it kicked on their heads. Think getting Dawson and Soligo up onto the wings will help this. Can see Sloane playing HBF.
We have the makings of a great forward line that could kick massive scores. Looking forward to next season with some hope.

I'm very much alone on this board but I am confident the talent we have in the squad now far exceeds the young squad that eventually played off in a grandy in 2017. The forward talent is about on par since the 2017 forward line is bloody talented. The mids have tonnes of potential. If they put it together its going to be a supreme group.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back