Sep 23, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
San Antonio, Redbacks
First Semi Final
Centrals v North at Footy Park 12:10 Sunday on ABCTV
For the Dogs the joint Magarey Medalist Brad Symes is named on the Wing. For the Roosters Lewis Johnston is named at CHF and James Craig on an extended interchange bench.

Second Semi Final
Norwood v West at Footy Park 3:10 Sunday on ABCTV
For the Legs Luke Brown has been named in a Forward Pocket. For the Bloods Brad Crouch has been named in a Forward Pocket and Rory Laird on an extended interchange bench.

Reserves Second Semi Final
Norwood v Sturt at Woodville Oval 11:25 Tomorrow
In the Reserves Second Semi Mitch Grigg has been named for the Legs.

Can anybody who regularly watches Norwood tell me what Grigg has done wrong whilst playing in the league side? I've heard he's been quite good, but he seems to keep getting dropped back to the reserves. Is he just a victim of playing for what is currently a very strong side?

He needs to switch SANFL Clubs, he should be playing league.

This is my thinking too. Some seem to think that "gifting" him games isn't going to help him, but neither is consistently tearing up the SANFL reserves. He needs to be playing league football.

Can anybody who regularly watches Norwood tell me what Grigg has done wrong whilst playing in the league side? I've heard he's been quite good, but he seems to keep getting dropped back to the reserves. Is he just a victim of playing for what is currently a very strong side?
No ....there's no victimization going on (for what purpose anyway)

Grigg obviously has elements of his game that concerns Bassett ...and that's good that he is trying to educate the lad

Trouble with average scribes is that we focus on disposals too much and not enough about elements such as defensive actions, tackling, positioning on ground, and adhearence to game-style. We'd have to be a fly on the wall in conversations between Bassett and Grigg to fully understand.

But I am comfortable the hard calls are made early in a players career and that no-one is trying to sabotage player of Crows

Any benefit in going to another SANFL club .....absolutely not!!!

This is my thinking too. Some seem to think that "gifting" him games isn't going to help him, but neither is consistently tearing up the SANFL reserves. He needs to be playing league football.
The future is ALWAYS in the players hands

Players sack themselves NOT the club

Who said anything about anybody trying to sabotage the Crows? Bassett is trying to do his job, which is win Norwood a Premiership. All I asked, is for somebody who has actually been watching Grigg this year why he keeps getting dropped out of the league side, despite playing well from all the reports that I've read. I can only conclude that it's because Norwood are exceptionally strong this year. As such, would it be better for Grigg to head elsewhere, because I don't see him tearing apart the SANFL reserves week in, week out, as being good for his development as a player. This is a guy who was physically ready to play, and did play, SANFL league football at 16 years of age. Playing reserves football must be like playing against primary school kids for him.

No ....there's no victimization going on (for what purpose anyway)

Grigg obviously has elements of his game that concerns Bassett ...and that's good that he is trying to educate the lad

Trouble with average scribes is that we focus on disposals too much and not enough about elements such as defensive actions, tackling, positioning on ground, and adhearence to game-style. We'd have to be a fly on the wall in conversations between Bassett and Grigg to fully understand.

But I am comfortable the hard calls are made early in a players career and that no-one is trying to sabotage player of Crows

Any benefit in going to another SANFL club .....absolutely not!!!

I have no doubt that Bassett is doing what he thinks is best for Grigg, however, sometimes coach/player dont gel for whatever reason and IMO Grigg needs a change of scenery - not only from the coach but also the Norwood club. I just think South is a good fit for him, club-wise and coach-wise - Ron Fuller wont hold back.

- Craig v Walker is an example of what i mean about coach/player yet Craig would have had Walker's best interests in mind.

I have no doubt that Bassett is doing what he thinks is best for Grigg, however, sometimes coach/player dont gel for whatever reason and IMO Grigg needs a change of scenery - not only from the coach but also the Norwood club. I just think South is a good fit for him, club-wise and coach-wise - Ron Fuller wont hold back.

- Craig v Walker is an example of what i mean about coach/player yet Craig would have had Walker's best interests in mind.

I disagree entirely. We have a lot of good midfielders at Norwood. He has improved in the second half of the year but he is on the margin of the best 21. Are South a good fit for anybody? Might be the end of him down there, not many flourish until they get out of South. I didn't see Salopek or Surjan resurrect their careers as Port Magpies this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

grigg's been displaced by better players. that's all. any calls for him to be moved away from norwood are premature to the extreme. he's not being played out of position, he's not being held back, he's just behind better players for the time being. his career isn't finished if he stays at norwood, it's improbable for a player as young as grigg to play every game in a midfield as good as norwood's.

ive seen about 6 grigg matches this yr and i reckon he's a tad unlucky to miss out this week. having said that, at full strength, he would still struggle to make the best 21. norwood named a 23 man squad this week, with 2 of hughes, jeffries and kirwan to miss out. i'd argue that he could replace josh donohue in the midfield / forward rotations, or maybe gav hughes. other than that it seems pretty right.

in terms if mids at norwood this year, he'd be comfortably behind batsanis, cachia, webber, gags, phillips, aish, brown and murphy, despite his foot skills being better than a few of those blokes. his speed has always let him down.

as for next year..
if he stays at norwood, he'll have a new head coach.
if sando gets his way, he'll be in a crows reserves side somewhere else (if he even stays on the list).
players will chop and change again at norwood, batsanis and cachia may be mature recruits to get back into the big league, gags will retire a second time if we win the flag and bryce campbell will return.

It's great to see some of our boys playing finals footy. Especially Crouch. SANFL finals would have to be as close to AFL intensity that you can get without actually playing in the big league. Will only help their development.

From what I was reading in the Ragvertiser the other day, Norwood were expecting to get something like 5 or 6 players back after the double-break (bye in the last round of H&A, followed by another in the 1st week of finals). This probably had something to do with Grigg's demotion back to the magoos.

what does LJ need to be a top AFL player

as a junior he was a highly rated forward, he is now playing consistent footy at sanfl level however what does he need to do to reach his potential at AFL level?

is it work-rate?

as a junior he was a highly rated forward, he is now playing consistent footy at sanfl level however what does he need to do to reach his potential at AFL level?

is it work-rate?
In a word, yes. At least in the games ive seen him play although it should be said that does seem to have improved later on in the year. He has all the skills and the size to be a great fol for Tex next year. Lots of talk about Mayes but what are peoples thoughts about Amato. Looks pretty silky.

Not shedding any tears about the end of the Dog Dynasty either

In a word, yes. At least in the games ive seen him play although it should be said that does seem to have improved later on in the year. He has all the skills and the size to be a great fol for Tex next year. Lots of talk about Mayes but what are peoples thoughts about Amato. Looks pretty silky.

Not shedding any tears about the end of the Dog Dynasty either

does he lack aggression?

is it work-rate?
IMO yes ....and his competitive spirit, that's to say his ability to compete and do the team things when all is not running his way

is it work-rate?

I think so, its a matter of staying involved in the game and work rate is often a big part of that. He's not a big forward, more of a third tall, so he can't go missing for too long or he'll quickly find himself out of the side.

Unfortunately he trained almost exclusively as a 3rd tall defender over the preseason and I think, with some benefit of hindsight, that this was a mistake. There are some guys who are forwards, there are some who are defenders. LJ is a forward, he has the strut and the arrogance that will allow him to excel as a forward. I think as a result of training in defence and also just adjusting to the move back to Adelaide, he started the year in average form and its only been the second half of the year that he's found some consistency and is now flourishing.

I think he'll make a great Scott Welsh style 3rd tall foil for a Walker/Tippett or Walker/Jenkins combo, his kicking skills, similar to Walker are such that he really doesn't need a heap of the footy to make him dangerous. I expect he'll play a fair number of games next year.

Certainly not. For me earlier in the season it was more a case of picking and choosing his efforts, perhaps a bit lazy but in the 2nd half of the year that looks to have improved. Will e in the side Round 1 next season if Tippo isnt around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back