Crows left behind....again!

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
There is an article on www.theage.com.au at the moment that reveals that Carlton his signed 4 of the best young talent in Ireland to what amounts to a commitment to the Carlton footy club. Essentially the club has given each boy $1600 to sign a form agreeing that if they decide to try AFL it can only be with Carlton.
So what are we doing?? Didn't we send some people over there this year to investigate? Pity we are going to be a couple of years behind again!!
Can't we for once be agressive in this type of action? Why can't we be the ones pushing the envelope and leading the comp in this area. Hell, we have the resources to do it better than almost everyone!!
Come on Crows get up with the future!!

Although it isnt big business yet, it will be soon.
Drafting/rookie listing international athletes and players should be high priority for all clubs. Its just the next level of proffesionalism. The sooner or later we attack this aspect of our recruiting with vigour the better!!!

I know it would piss the irish off imensley but we should be scourging their underage representative sides and bringing the lads over for trials as much as we can. What is there to lose? Not much. Could gain a gem. Im a big believer in a policy that each club should have at least one extra selection in the rookie draft for an international player/recruit. Cant hurt can it? Hell, if all of them come from ireland that means the best 16 kids from the emerald isle could be here in Australia.

Thanks for that jmorg1, great contribution! Unfortunately it is that attitude that is allowing the Crows to be left behind.
Perhaps we will see how 'meh' you feel when one of these boys tears us apart in a few years!

Maybe. But chances of them 'tearing us apart' are pretty low. Kennelly and Clarke are good players but hardly 'tear you apart' players. The O'hailpins and Begley I can live with not having at the Crows.

Maybe. But chances of them 'tearing us apart' are pretty low. Kennelly and Clarke are good players but hardly 'tear you apart' players. The O'hailpins and Begley I can live with not having at the Crows.

hmmm, interesting comment! I seem to remember Kennelly's run ripping a few teams apart in finals! And, Clarke is in his first year of AFL. How do you think he will go in 3 years time!!
I look forward to reminding you about that comment!
Anyway, it's not so much about the players that are already here, its about doing everything you can to find the best talent. I don't think we are doing it yet!

Kennelly and Clarke would be walk up starts into a crows 22, so we should be looking.

There is an article on www.theage.com.au at the moment that reveals that Carlton his signed 4 of the best young talent in Ireland to what amounts to a commitment to the Carlton footy club. Essentially the club has given each boy $1600 to sign a form agreeing that if they decide to try AFL it can only be with Carlton.
So what are we doing?? Didn't we send some people over there this year to investigate? Pity we are going to be a couple of years behind again!!
Can't we for once be agressive in this type of action? Why can't we be the ones pushing the envelope and leading the comp in this area. Hell, we have the resources to do it better than almost everyone!!
Come on Crows get up with the future!!

I think NC sends his recruiters to the Tour De France each year.

How are we being left behind?

These boys who signed this agreement with Carlton still have to be drafted by Carton. Does this agreement overrule any drafting? They will have to nominate for the draft (either national or rookie) and as soon as they nominate for the draft if we then refuse to investigate who they are and what potential talent they have is when we will be left behind. All I see is Carton throwing away good money on players who have no guarantee to end up at that club.

As far as I know we can still draft any of theses player and if they refuse to play for the club Carlton should be investigated for draft tampering.

I'm still amazed that the crows don't have a full time player scout searching these international leagues looking for potential draftees.

The crows can certainly afford it, and to my recollection recruiting outside of Australia does not factor in a clubs salary cap. correct me if I'm wrong on that?

But yes we should have scouts overseas to snap up these Irish & international kids...

Clarke has played 12 games after picking up a footy for the first time about 12 months ago and looks VERY comfortable at this level. He looks very much like a tear you apart player.

These boys who signed this agreement with Carlton still have to be drafted by Carton. Does this agreement overrule any drafting? They will have to nominate for the draft (either national or rookie) and as soon as they nominate for the draft if we then refuse to investigate who they are and what potential talent they have is when we will be left behind. All I see is Carton throwing away good money on players who have no guarantee to end up at that club.

As far as I know we can still draft any of theses player and if they refuse to play for the club Carlton should be investigated for draft tampering.

Because they are not registered with any club in Australia they can get around it.... like the Sydney Ruckman from QLD that's just been rookied.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wrong, international recruits are added to the list for the price of a rookie draft pick. There is no entering the draft for them, they sign with Carlton before any draft occurs.

I'm still amazed that the crows don't have a full time player scout searching these international leagues looking for potential draftees.

The crows can certainly afford it, and to my recollection recruiting outside of Australia does not factor in a clubs salary cap. correct me if I'm wrong on that?

But yes we should have scouts overseas to snap up these Irish & international kids...

Full time international scout? This is not the NBA and we are not going to draft the next Yao Ming from China. We only need someone to look at the junior grades playing Gaelic football in Ireland.

No one entering the AFL can bypass the AFL draft so if any of theses Irish lads are good enough to become a star, this is when we should be using all of our resources to investigate how they go.

Yeah lets hire a full timer international scout so we can potentially rookie list someone who has never kicked the oval shaped football before. Great use of $50,000

Wrong, international recruits are added to the list for the price of a rookie draft pick. There is no entering the draft for them, they sign with Carlton before any draft occurs.

Marty Clarke (Irish Lad) from Collingwood was drafted in the 2007 AFL Rookie Draft 3rd round selection (Collingwood) No. 40 overall.

Has the rule changed?

Collingwood's pick 40 in the Rookie draft was their last. It's the same as how Taylor Walker is going to be pick 75 this year for the Crows but he's already on our list.

"Already Brendan Murphy, 18, has committed to the Sydney Swans with teenager Pierce Handley flying to train with Brisbane next month and Collingwood securing Kevin Dyas."

"Not only is the international recruiting system another way of securing players outside the draft"

Obviously there are some other clubs who think it is well worth the investment. The question again is, why aren't we??

Full time international scout? This is not the NBA and we are not going to draft the next Yao Ming from China. We only need someone to look at the junior grades playing Gaelic football in Ireland.

No one entering the AFL can bypass the AFL draft so if any of theses Irish lads are good enough to become a star, this is when we should be using all of our resources to investigate how they go.

Yeah lets hire a full timer international scout so we can potentially rookie list someone who has never kicked the oval shaped football before. Great use of $50,000
You know there was a guy yesterday who died doing stuff that people thought was 'Crazy'. A guy who people thought was just throwing away his money.

They ended up following his lead, and he become one of Australia's richest men.

A succesful AFL club, or any other sporting club, or even any business, is a proactive one, not a reactive one.

We are lucky in that we have one of the strongest financial positions.

And when the draft/salary cap forces each club to be 'equal' with each other, how are we going to make the most of our financial advantage?

Collingwood's pick 40 in the Rookie draft was their last. It's the same as how Taylor Walker is going to be pick 75 this year for the Crows but he's already on our list.

Exactly right. I wonder if BlackDouglas thinks the money spent investigating and watching the NSW boys was a waste??

Marty Clarke (Irish Lad) from Collingwood was drafted in the 2007 AFL Rookie Draft 3rd round selection (Collingwood) No. 40 overall.

Has the rule changed?
The same rule has been in place for years. Its similar to the NSW scholarship program.

International rookies sign an agreement with an AFL club and if that club wants them, they nominate one of the rookie draft picks and just add the lad to the rookie list.

They don't exactly go into the draft pool where anyone can pick him up. Very similar program to the NSW Scholarship.

You've missed the point.

The club that finds them and signs them up can add them to their rookie list as overseas draftees. They never get to see the National draft.

My thoughts exactly

Exactly right. I wonder if BlackDouglas thinks the money spent investigating and watching the NSW boys was a waste??

Waste of money adding a player onto the NSW development scheme? NO

Trying to find a diamond I the rough from Ireland? Yeah I do think that is a waste of money for a full time international scout. Considering we (the AFL) have only had 3 player turn into anything from Ireland (Jimmy Stynes, Ty Kennelly and Marty Clarke and he is still very raw) turn into anything descent, not a good turn around for the outlay needed.

Investigate the potential to recruit as many players as they like because that can be done by Matt Rendell during the slow months in Australia but paying someone to be a full time international scout; yes IMO that is a waste of money.

The same rule has been in place for years. Its similar to the NSW scholarship program.

International rookies sign an agreement with an AFL club and if that club wants them, they nominate one of the rookie draft picks and just add the lad to the rookie list.

They don't exactly go into the draft pool where anyone can pick him up. Very similar program to the NSW Scholarship.

You've missed the point.

The club that finds them and signs them up can add them to their rookie list as overseas draftees. They never get to see the National draft.

Ok I got it wrong but my beef was never about recruiting them but IMO we don’t need a full time international scout to do a job that should be done by the person already in the position.

It’s a .5 position that would take 2 or 3 week to investigate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Crows left behind....again!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back