Crows taunt loose Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if you read any of the Melbourne paper news sites so thought I would link the article.

Crows taunt loose Hawks
06 September 2007 Herald Sun
Zac Milbank

ADELAIDE has questioned Hawthorn's accountability, daring the Hawks to take it on in the midfield, where the Crows smashed them for a 71-point win in Round 14.

Midfielders Tyson Edwards, Scott Thompson and Chris Knights all recorded career-high possessions, as did smooth-moving Andrew McLeod, playing loose across half-back.

The Crows also set a new benchmark in total handballs (212) while notching their second-highest disposal tally (418) since 1991.

The lack of accountability shown by the youthful Hawks left its mark on the Crows, who are eager to replicate the result in Saturday's elimination final at Telstra Dome.

"Going on those stats you would probably think they're not as accountable as other midfielders," Adelaide defender Nathan Bock said.

"We kept them to four goals so we'll obviously have a look at that game throughout the week, take a few points from it and try and implement those things this week."

While Hawthorn's Rick Ladson was left to roam free by the Crows at the opposite end, the damage McLeod caused -- with his 39 disposals -- was far more significant.

"Bungy (McLeod) doesn't mind playing that spare man in defence (role)," Bock said.

"And when you've got the kind of skills and attributes he does, obviously he can be pretty damaging when he's left by himself.

"It would be nice if Hawthorn goes with the same tactics and leaves a spare man for us in defence because it helps out the other defenders in being able to chop off leads and things like that."

An attacking brand of football is also high on the agenda.

"Especially when you come into big games like finals you've got to be able to play all aspects of the game -- the defensive aspect and also being able to attack them as well," Bock said.

"It's (lack of attack) let us down in previous years, such as the 2005 preliminary final against West Coast."

"So we've got that in the back our mind, that we need to keep our offensive game going to get the win."

Adelaide honed its skills for more than two hours during its main training session at AAMI Stadium yesterday.

Thompson (quad) was a noticeable absentee from the main squad but is expected to train tomorrow. Captain Mark Ricciuto left the track early as a precautionary measure.

Source: http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,22370490%5E19742,00.html

"Going on those stats you would probably think they're not as accountable as other midfielders," Adelaide defender Nathan Bock said.

I'm almost certain that there would be another statement straight after that saying something to the effect that they were accountable or some such. Craig comes from the Oatey school of football where respect for your opponent and give them nothing to get back at you was key. If there wasn't a second part that the journalist hasn't quoted then I think Bock may not be fronting the media for a while!

Not sure if you read any of the Melbourne paper news sites so thought I would link the article.

Crows taunt loose Hawks
Zac Milbank
Zac is actually an Adelaide journo & it was also in the 'Tiser.

Not sure of the context of the quotes, but not smart to be stirring up the opposition before the game.

The missing quote - not in Hun, but in the Tiser version:
"Going on those stats you would probably think they're not as accountable as other midfielders," Bock said.
"But then again I'm not a midfielder so I can't speak for the defensive pressure they put on our midfielders."

"Going on those stats you would probably think they're not as accountable as other midfielders," Bock said.
"But then again I'm not a midfielder so I can't speak for the defensive pressure they put on our midfielders."
LOL.

Says it all rly.

It's like the old headline:

'BOCK LOVES ****'

Nathan Bock has said that when he's not playing football he loves the ****.

'Yes, I love ****'

But if you finish it, he says 'Yes, I love cocktails at Andrew Capel's house, but he's a bit of a prick because he never lets me talk to the Rooch'.

Whinging about Telstra Dome ? Please provide me with evidence that the Club has complained about playing at Telstra.

Docklands doesn't worry Hawks
05 September 2007 Herald Sun
Bruce Matthews

NO ONE could coerce coach Alastair Clarkson to concede, certainly not publicly, the brutal reality that Hawthorn would prefer to play Adelaide at the MCG rather than Telstra Dome on Saturday.

He parried all negative comments yesterday, backing the raw enthusiasm of his young team, most of them finals first-timers, to more than offset being forced to confront the vastly more experienced Crows at the smaller venue.

"We would play on the Moon this week if we had to, so no dramas," Clarkson said yesterday.

"It's our first final. We haven't been there for six years and our guys are just that excited about the opportunity. We couldn't care about where or what time."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would rather that article had not been released. the crows players need to be careful when giving the media an interview, it can backfire and turn out to become ammunition for the opposition.

That is pretty sad to edit the original story that much that it totally changes the context of what was said.

Crows taunt loose Hawks
Zac Milbank

ADELAIDE has questioned Hawthorn's accountability, daring the Hawks to take it on in the midfield, where the Crows smashed them for a 71-point win in Round 14.

Midfielders Tyson Edwards, Scott Thompson and Chris Knights all recorded career-high possessions, as did smooth-moving Andrew McLeod, playing loose across half-back.

The Crows also set a new benchmark in total handballs (212) while notching their second-highest disposal tally (418) since 1991.

The lack of accountability shown by the youthful Hawks left its mark on the Crows, who are eager to replicate the result in Saturday's elimination final at Telstra Dome.

"We kept them to four goals so we'll obviously have a look at that game throughout the week, take a few points from it and try and implement those things this week."

While Hawthorn's Rick Ladson was left to roam free by the Crows at the opposite end, the damage McLeod caused -- with his 39 disposals -- was far more significant.

"Bungy (McLeod) doesn't mind playing that spare man in defence (role)," Bock said.

"And when you've got the kind of skills and attributes he does, obviously he can be pretty damaging when he's left by himself.

"It would be nice if Hawthorn goes with the same tactics and leaves a spare man for us in defence because it helps out the other defenders in being able to chop off leads and things like that."

An attacking brand of football is also high on the agenda.

"Especially when you come into big games like finals you've got to be able to play all aspects of the game -- the defensive aspect and also being able to attack them as well," Bock said.

"It's (lack of attack) let us down in previous years, such as the 2005 preliminary final against West Coast."

"So we've got that in the back our mind, that we need to keep our offensive game going to get the win."

Adelaide honed its skills for more than two hours during its main training session at AAMI Stadium yesterday.

Thompson (quad) was a noticeable absentee from the main squad but is expected to train tomorrow. Captain Mark Ricciuto left the track early as a precautionary measure.

Source: http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,22370490%5E19742,00.html

Clarkson better have this on the changeroom walls.

The headline is classic Advertiser Trash. As if there is any taunting going on.

The stats that were being referred to were when four of our players got career high stats levels and we amassed ahuge amount of handballs in particualr.

I challegne anyone to come to any other conclsion than the Hawks were loose THAT night.

This will have no bearing on Satruday's game.

As far as amunition goes, what a load of rubbish. As Blighty used to say, do you honestly believe that will help them get the footy?

Should be a corker of a game on Saturday, but the media will print any rubbish in finals week in search of a trashy headline or story.

what do u expect...Footy journalists are parasites...

For sure. They rather cause trouble than look to write inspiring stories. I remember in the 90s there were some awesome articles about all the clubs making it to the finals, look at the articles now... full of dirt kickers, ambulance chasers and negative stories.

Sad state of affairs.

Clarkson better have this on the changeroom walls.

If this is what motivates the Hawks, reckon you are in strife.

For sure. They rather cause trouble than look to write inspiring stories. I remember in the 90s there were some awesome articles about all the clubs making it to the finals, look at the articles now... full of dirt kickers, ambulance chasers and negative stories.

Sad state of affairs.

If Zac Milbank actually watched a few games of football, then he'd know that Hawthorn don't play accountable footy, man on man, but zone off and are accountable for defending a patch of turf. They are happy for their opponents to share the ball around, if it means they're not getting the ball in quickly to the scoring zones.

Things came unglued against Adelaide last time, so everything looked pretty bad.
It would be folly to judge the Hawks on that performance alone.

The only people that take notice of crap in the paper are the supporters, it will make no difference whatsoever to the outcome of the game.

Adelaide will be favorites and rightly so, they are a class above the hawks and if we are any chance of beating you guys we will have to play out of our skin and you will need to be having an off day.

Adelaide's best is far too good for our boys, then again football is a funny game you may lose a few blokes early with injury like we did last week and the game is up for grabs....

Go hawks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Crows taunt loose Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back