Crows Training Attire

Remove this Banner Ad

tommahawk_07

All Australian
Jul 12, 2006
G-Town
AFL Club
Geelong
can someone tell me why adelaide wears their full kit when training? most other teams wear all sorts of different trainig gear but the crows always seem to wear their full on uniform with no other gear eg tights, hats, beanies etc.

just a casual observation i'd like to get to the bottom of...

They only wear it at the final training session, and I can understand that - why train in gear you don't actually wear during games (such as long skins, hats, etc). E.g, why practice kicking for goal in a hat (to keep the sun out your eyes) when you don't have that luxury during games? May as well get used to kicking with the sun in your eyes. And at those trainings, the injured ones wear the training gear (makes it easier for on-lookers and media to know who's injured :confused:)

As Vader indicated, they don't always train in the same outfit. In the preseason they train in an entirely different strip.

The club is very big on trying to simulate gameday conditions as closely as possible in training though (such as having half time breaks an appropriate amount of time into a session) so I would assume that's why they would do their main training session in their actual guernsey.

One little anectode I can tell you though re hats - Craig absolutely hates them. He hates them because they remind him of basketball or baseball and, dammit, this is football :p He originally wanted players to never wear them but presumably his medical guys told him that training for three months in the summer without hats is a really bad idea so he made the concession that they can wear them but the brim has to face forward. I remember in the preseason Tony Armstrong was wearing his hat backwards while I was watching and Craigy stopped the whole session and asked the other players if Armstrong should put his hat on the right way around. Everyone was kinda nervous but eventually Goodwin piped up with "Yep!" and everyone got into it a bit and when he turned it the right way around there was a big cheer :D Craig yelled out "NOW you look like a FOOTBALLER!!"

. I remember in the preseason Tony Armstrong was wearing his hat backwards while I was watching and Craigy stopped the whole session and asked the other players if Armstrong should put his hat on the right way around. Everyone was kinda nervous but eventually Goodwin piped up with "Yep!" and everyone got into it a bit and when he turned it the right way around there was a big cheer :D Craig yelled out "NOW you look like a FOOTBALLER!!"

Thats a great story! hat backwards has too much of a FIGJAM feel to it! good to see the boys are kept well below that line!!

thanks cmndstab, it thought it would be something neil craig has implemented...

clearly the players do not just all rock up in the playing kit on their own, i was just keen to know why cheers!

can someone tell me why adelaide wears their full kit when training? most other teams wear all sorts of different trainig gear but the crows always seem to wear their full on uniform with no other gear eg tights, hats, beanies etc.

just a casual observation i'd like to get to the bottom of...

It was started by Blight, and I thought he did the same thing at Geelong, his motto was that you trained how you played, so the final session was in full kit.

He was quite vocal about the mish mash of training attire worn as well, the mid nineties still saw players look odd in different types of gear he stopped that as well when he got there.

Sorry this is a bit off topic, not worthy of a new thread but still about guernseys...

does anyone know why Andrew Mcleod wears a home guernsey with such light numbers on it? It looks like a school team, where someones mum accidentally buys the wrong colour number to iron on?

The only thing I could think of was maybe he wears the same one each week rather than a new one because he is pretty superstitious?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry this is a bit off topic, not worthy of a new thread but still about guernseys...

does anyone know why Andrew Mcleod wears a home guernsey with such light numbers on it? It looks like a school team, where someones mum accidentally buys the wrong colour number to iron on?

The only thing I could think of was maybe he wears the same one each week rather than a new one because he is pretty superstitious?

i noticed that couple of weeks ago, i figure the top layer peeled off (that bit on the guernsey is netting basically). You also note that on their home guernseys the yellow collar (just above the spoon bill) has faded terribly and is not even remotely like the same colour anymore? DMac's is by far the worst. Pretty crap by Adidas it looks likes the players take them home and wash them themselves. When they wore the heritage jumper in the Showdown, you could really see the difference.

I've also noticed that his guernsey is generally looser than everyone else's leaving me to believe he wears one of the replica guernseys on the field.

With training, players also wear their playing strip for the main session in the middle of the week as well as the final session.

bump.
Stephen Rowe was going on about this exact point for about 5 minutes during the call today.
Strange co-incidence that.

HAHA no way! I've been noticing it all year... What conclusion did he come to? Replica with the screen printed numbers?

Could be onto something here, possibly he does not like the tight fitting jumper so just has one like you can buy in a store and his missus has ironed on the numbers. As far as I'm aware you can't buy a tight fitting jumper in the store, they are just your normal jumpers.

I have noticed he has worn those really baggy shorts previously.

Could be onto something here, possibly he does not like the tight fitting jumper so just has one like you can buy in a store and his missus has ironed on the numbers. As far as I'm aware you can't buy a tight fitting jumper in the store, they are just your normal jumpers.

I stole that idea from here CG as posted earlier in this thread.

I was looking at it again yesterday and I'm pretty sure that's what is going on, on the AFC website you can get guernseys made up with the numbers screen printed on, the proper ones with the AFL logo down the bottom, so I'd say they have made him one of them. The only thing I'm not sure about is that around the armholes, the replicas have stretchy kinda material, but the authentics have a smaller band of not stretchy stuff.

I stole that idea from here CG as posted earlier in this thread.

I was looking at it again yesterday and I'm pretty sure that's what is going on, on the AFC website you can get guernseys made up with the numbers screen printed on, the proper ones with the AFL logo down the bottom, so I'd say they have made him one of them. The only thing I'm not sure about is that around the armholes, the replicas have stretchy kinda material, but the authentics have a smaller band of not stretchy stuff.

From watching the replay of the game, it didn't look like his numbers had the AFL logo on the back yesterday, that has to be breaking some sort of rule... As you said, even the numbers they sell at Crowmania have the logo on them.

I don't think Tippett likes the new tight guernsey, because he never trains in it - even the final training session, he trains in the 08 guernsey.

One little anectode I can tell you though re hats - Craig absolutely hates them. He hates them because they remind him of basketball or baseball and, dammit, this is football :p He originally wanted players to never wear them but presumably his medical guys told him that training for three months in the summer without hats is a really bad idea so he made the concession that they can wear them but the brim has to face forward. I remember in the preseason Tony Armstrong was wearing his hat backwards while I was watching and Craigy stopped the whole session and asked the other players if Armstrong should put his hat on the right way around. Everyone was kinda nervous but eventually Goodwin piped up with "Yep!" and everyone got into it a bit and when he turned it the right way around there was a big cheer :D Craig yelled out "NOW you look like a FOOTBALLER!!"[/quote]

Yeah I remember that very clearly too. Was quite funny seeing Craigy and the players rassle him up over it :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Crows Training Attire

Remove this Banner Ad

Back