Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

ansonholt

Premiership Player
May 12, 2009
All in Sunbury
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Guys, I'd like to know your thoughts on what Ben Cunnington might be capable of.

What I noticed in last night's practice match, noting that it WAS only a practice match:
1. Barry Cable-like handball, possibly better.
2. Ridiculous evasion moves in traffic.
3. Seeming to have endless time when in possession.
4. Hitting targets - not sure what his disposal efficiency was, but it must have been above average because I didn't notice any clangers.
5. Tackling - despite the clean possessions, and the number of them, he still tackled as well as he always has.
6. Marking and presenting - he even did that in the 3rd quarter. I think his fitness has improved and I expect we will see more TOG and therefore more production from him this year.

He is going to be something else this year and beyond. I prefer not to compare him to anyone - he's Ben Cunnington, and nobody else (despite the Cable reference above). I also don't care if he wins any awards either - he's going to help North win lots of football games.

Hope he continues in the same vein as last night. There's no reason to suspect he won't and this will be the year that the rest of the AFL starts to notice him. Not that that matters at all, as I said.

Yeah, that was right after he drilled a ripper that bounced straight off Currie's chest IIRC.

The most pleasing thing about last night was his 10 handball receives, which is about 8 more than he normally seems to get.

Anything less than a Brownlow, Norm Smith and Coleman Medal this year would be an under-achievement for the great man.

Throw in a Pulitzer Prize, Walkley Award and Nobel Peace Prize and the stone masons will move from Jack's statue to Cunners'ssssss.

Anything less than a Brownlow, Norm Smith and Coleman Medal this year would be an under-achievement for the great man.

Look I'm not all that greedy. I'll just settle for a Premiership medallion.

And I think the boy from Princetown would be in full agreeance.

595526-b978a2fc-a5f3-11e3-8dfc-d9063670fb71.jpg

Looks capable of becoming to us what Mitchell is to Hawthorn (perhaps without the brilliant left/right foot skills).

Does that make Ziebell our Hodge? ;)

He is adding a bit of Pendles to his game, seems to have the sticky hands and time that he has... Have to admit, his outside game has improved dramatically - really is a lovely kick of the footy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife just caught me looking 'a little too long and a little too intently' at this. Made up an excuse that I was trying to work out which game this was from. :cool: She shook her head and said 'I'll leave you to it then' :oops:

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wife just caught me looking 'a little too long and a little too intently' at this. Made up an excuse that I was trying to work out which game this was from. :cool: Sh shook her head and said 'I'll leave you to it then' :oops:
Genuine LOL... you dag! :p

Ben is starting to develop a very nice " dont argue " once perfected will be a nice addition to his bag of tricks

I feel like he's had that move very early on, maybe even since he first got here but he has gotten stronger each year making it more effective. What I think he is also developing very nicely is his spatial awareness of what's around him, he just looks comfortable out there now. And you can just tell that he is oozing confidence. He knows he's good enough to beat or get around whoever decides to get in his way.

Grima gives him an earnest endorsement in the post-match. It's not that often you hear player's pumping up their team mates like that, had a look on his face like he couldn't believe his eyes.

These are things he's got going for him:

- Elite extractor, (clearance and contest machine)
- Elite evasive skills
- Elite handballing
- Elite vision
- Very good tackling
- Very good attack on the ball

Areas he's shown a lot of improvement lately:
- Improving 'ball magnetism'
- Improving kicking
- Improving contested marking
- Improving game intensity
- Seems to be improving his tank

Wife just caught me looking 'a little too long and a little too intently' at this. Made up an excuse that I was trying to work out which game this was from. :cool: She shook her head and said 'I'll leave you to it then' :oops:

You've got a good one in your wife, I'd say. Very understanding.

These are things he's got going for him:

- Elite extractor, (clearance and contest machine)
- Elite evasive skills
- Elite handballing
- Elite vision
- Very good tackling
- Very good attack on the ball

Areas he's shown a lot of improvement lately:
- Improving 'ball magnetism'
- Improving kicking
- Improving contested marking
- Improving game intensity
- Seems to be improving his tank

- Always keeps his feet. Particularly freakish with cat-like landing after a marking contest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

Back