D1 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a good hitout, but i think you may be a bit wrong on the scoreboard front; rupo would have won by at least 15 goals. Mind you, Nobs had a lot of numbers out so i wouldnt take too much out of it. Very small, but incredibly fit, young and well drilled side are Rupertswood.

i was more focussed on the beauty of Ballarat, i very much doubt it was anywhere near 15 goals, we would have been lucky to kick that many, but it was played in good spirit.

werribee punched the suitcases out of altona yesterday at soldiers with a massive 2nd half. the new look forward line functioned really well. still a few players to come back too :thumbsu:

Altona were disgracefull. Unfortunately it shows how far the level and standard of the WRFL comp has dropped, after being beaten by a very average side in Werribee.
Ladder after Rd 18
Rupo
Nobs
OM
SMD
Whitefriars
Aquinas
Reds
Werribee
St.Leos
Prahan

Altona were disgracefull. Unfortunately it shows how far the level and standard of the WRFL comp has dropped, after being beaten by a very average side in Werribee.
Ladder after Rd 18
Rupo
Nobs
OM
SMD
Whitefriars
Aquinas
Reds
Werribee
St.Leos
Prahan
What was it exactly that you thought was average about the tigers legend? Care to elaborate?

From the Fitzroy website:

The Red Royboys were quick off the mark to go to a 10 point lead at the first break, but a seven goal 2nd quarter by the Stars saw them go to a 3 goal lead at the break. An even 3rd quarter gave us a chance but a 9 goal final term gave the Fitzroy Stars the Doug Nicholls Cup.
Final Scores: Fitzroy Stars 22.9.141 def. Fitzroy 12.6.78

That's a pretty poor result you would think. The Stars are in second division norther football league and only formed last year. Did anyone get along for a look ? Scribe, Mappa, any insight ?

Did get a chuckle that both of the Fitzroy practice games are played for a cup. Is this a record for the Vafa ? Might want to spend a bit less time on gimmicks and more on playing football perhaps.

Sorry IYDMU, I was a bit like Brad Hodge on Saturday and relegated to domestic duties :-D I wouldn't underestimate the Fitzroy Stars though, as they have a few qualities players running around. Some clubs in the Diamond Valley Second Division are pretty average, but those near the top are still pretty handy.

Can't offer anything on Saturday's game, only to say that there are a few new guys down at the club this year, along with a new coach so it will probably take a little time to gel.

As for the cups, don't forget that the Reds / FFC play for the Latte Cup against Prahran in Round 1, so three cups in a consecutive weeks would definitely be an Ammos record !

Yeah - similar to Mappa, due to circumstances beyond my control, I ran around in the early hit-out and then dashed off quickly to undertake domestic duties. So I can't really shed any light on how the game panned out, save to say:

1. The Stars would be expected to improve greatly in their 2nd season in their competition after missing out on finals by % only; and

2. I believe we ran out with 14 guys who played seniors last season in the late game, with the other 14 being U19s and/or new guys who we haven't worked out if they're at sen/res/clubbies standard. A bit of a revolving door at the interchange and a 'suck it and see' approach was adopted.

In my experience, the best guage you can get from a PM is when the sides are in the same competition and at relatively similar strength. Rarely happens nowadays. Mind you, when a lower grade club meets a higher grade one and matches them (i.e. Rupo knocking off St Bernards pre-season 2007) that can certainly bode well for the lower grade club!

As for me, not a big wrap for these Cups being struck. Thus, consistent with the advice I received on the weekend from #46 from the Stars (who had more tatts than teeth) I'm off to take a sip from my Cup of Harden The F*** Up!!!

PS - the word at training tonight was the Stars were very pumped up to play as a couple of their lads were heading north to Darwin for the rest of the year. Headbutts, elbows and forearms were thrown in a manner which would incur numerous send-offs from properly qualified umpires (which we didn't have). I daresay we chose self-preservation over the non-existent 4 points and were just happy to hand over the Doug Nicholls Cup - which we may not wish to play for again.

Harps how are your boys going? Am looking forward to 1st game to see how we will fair this year. Social rooms should be finished in time for 1st game.

Harps how are your boys going? Am looking forward to 1st game to see how we will fair this year. Social rooms should be finished in time for 1st game.

Boys had a great hitout against Sunshine Heights on Saturday going down by a point, 2 points or winning by 5 points depending on who you speak to. We've marked it as a one point loss. SH are a bit further into their prep with their season starting this week and it showed late in the game. Reserves by 16 goals in a return to form for the SMD dew kickers.

Looking forward to a BBQ at the new rooms in a few weeks.

Boys had a great hitout against Sunshine Heights on Saturday going down by a point, 2 points or winning by 5 points depending on who you speak to. We've marked it as a one point loss. SH are a bit further into their prep with their season starting this week and it showed late in the game. Reserves by 16 goals in a return to form for the SMD dew kickers.

Amazing what a change to the reserves coaching panel has done to the side rossco!

As for the seniors, much improvement needed if we are to be competitive this year, although quite a valid point made by harps above.

wasnt too bad a performance on sat from smd with a lot of quality players missing and a lot of new blokes playin there first games for the club..... skills were very ordinary but hopefully we get another solid hit out this we and be ready for rd 1 out at wezza....

wasnt too bad a performance on sat from smd with a lot of quality players missing and a lot of new blokes playin there first games for the club..... skills were very ordinary but hopefully we get another solid hit out this we and be ready for rd 1 out at wezza....
Aquinas played a practice match on the weekend against Mitcham (EFL DIV 3).The result was a 3 goal win to Mitcham after Aquinas led for most of the day, Aquinas held goalless in the last quarter.Good hitout with plenty of positives for the bloods.Aquinas plays Parkdale this weekend in its final praccy.

Aquinas played a practice match on the weekend against Mitcham (EFL DIV 3).The result was a 3 goal win to Mitcham after Aquinas led for most of the day, Aquinas held goalless in the last quarter.Good hitout with plenty of positives for the bloods.Aquinas plays Parkdale this weekend in its final praccy.

Marcou no doubt that you guys will have some quality kids coming through from your U/19's but it looks like you've lost some key players from last year. How will you fill Den Braber & Co's spots?

Friars were playing Old Geelong on the weekend but haven't had the report through on them yet so can't make any comment.

Will I see you on the 8th at the VAFA Dinner?? If so will catch up with you there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No worries Westy, I'll be there. Could you please bring a detailed scouting report on all of your players and where they will line up in round 1? You know we struggle down at Soldiers.
I'll ask Kirk tonight:D I don't place too much emphasis on praccy matches as that is exactly what they are. Experiment time. I can say that our boys are still very quick and have added some strength to our 22.;)

Marcou no doubt that you guys will have some quality kids coming through from your U/19's but it looks like you've lost some key players from last year. How will you fill Den Braber & Co's spots?

Friars were playing Old Geelong on the weekend but haven't had the report through on them yet so can't make any comment.
Jack we can't replace guys like Brabes or Whitehead great players,were hoping our young players will develop into great players for our club.The guys who missed large parts of the year with injury who r flying on the track preseason will make us stronger add some recruits, new coach a very tough preseason, the bloods r ready to go.

I'll ask Kirk tonight:D I don't place too much emphasis on praccy matches as that is exactly what they are. Experiment time. I can say that our boys are still very quick and have added some strength to our 22.;)

Westy,

Is Trav Ryan going around this year?

Jack we can't replace guys like Brabes or Whitehead great players,were hoping our young players will develop into great players for our club.The guys who missed large parts of the year with injury who r flying on the track preseason will make us stronger add some recruits, new coach a very tough preseason, the bloods r ready to go.

Good stuff Marcou sounds like the Bloods are on the right track!! Looking forward to a local derby later in the year.

NQR - "not too bad a performance"??

You are in D1 and you broke even with a team promoted to Division 1 WRFL this year? I would think most D1 sides would be pretty happy with that any day of the week...

Jack we can't replace guys like Brabes or Whitehead great players,were hoping our young players will develop into great players for our club.The guys who missed large parts of the year with injury who r flying on the track preseason will make us stronger add some recruits, new coach a very tough preseason, the bloods r ready to go down to D2.

Jack we can't replace guys like Brabes or Whitehead great players,were hoping our young players will develop into great players for our club.The guys who missed large parts of the year with injury who r flying on the track preseason will make us stronger add some recruits, new coach a very tough preseason, the bloods r ready to go down to D2.

HBF, you are quite the flog, what is your problem with Aquinas? Or are you one of those forum users that love to hide behind a different name and bag another club???
Would love to have a propper chat to you in regards to your problems with Aquinas!

You are in D1 and you broke even with a team promoted to Division 1 WRFL this year? I would think most D1 sides would be pretty happy with that any day of the week...

Werribee must be shoe ins based on that theory then. They smashed Altona (who would be regarded as a stronger club than Heights) by 103 points.

Results in Preseason mean nothing.

Heights are probably focused on round 1 this week, where as SMD have a few weeks still of preperation.

Its impossible to measure form in preseason. Measurements should start to be made around rd 4. when real stuff is being played.

Werribee must be shoe ins based on that theory then. They smashed Altona (who would be regarded as a stronger club than Heights) by 103 points.

Results in Preseason mean nothing.

Heights are probably focused on round 1 this week, where as SMD have a few weeks still of preperation.

Its impossible to measure form in preseason. Measurements should start to be made around rd 4. when real stuff is being played.

Its not a theory, it was an observation. Both sides should be pleased.

But yes you are absolutley correct, practice matches (particularly against clubs in other comps who play front up with an under 21s side like Altona did a week ago) mean nothing.

Mate Div 2 WRFL is crap. I played WRFL for 2 years with Port Colts and sides below the top 6 are no good. They are making up numbers simple as that. Werribee proved that by smashing Altona and Altona are better than heights.
SMD had 6 of the best 10 players out and are prob 3 weeks behind where heights are.
NQR was spot on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back