D1 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its not a theory, it was an observation. Both sides should be pleased.

But yes you are absolutley correct, practice matches (particularly against clubs in other comps who play front up with an under 21s side like Altona did a week ago) mean nothing.
Under 21's hey. Yeah us old folk's down at Werribee sure took advantage of the young Altona squad. Can assure you Dee, there were probably 5-7 blokes in the tigers line up on Saturady over the ripe old age of 21.

NQR - "not too bad a performance"??

You are in D1 and you broke even with a team promoted to Division 1 WRFL this year? I would think most D1 sides would be pretty happy with that any day of the week...
considering it was our first hit out with i think about 10 new blokes plus our 6 best out against a side who played a match or 2 it wasnt too bad...
at our best we would beat heights by 15 goals no doubt at all....

Mate Div 2 WRFL is crap. I played WRFL for 2 years with Port Colts and sides below the top 6 are no good. They are making up numbers simple as that. Werribee proved that by smashing Altona and Altona are better than heights.
SMD had 6 of the best 10 players out and are prob 3 weeks behind where heights are.
NQR was spot on.

Ok lets not turn this into a saga...

2nd Div WRFL is crap and some of the lower placed 1st Div sides struggle to be competetive with the top 4 -(duly noted!). But you guys are 4th Division VAFA sides and you would have at least left both (Altona – very young; and Heights – pretty much a side that does not pay players) with a good impression of the standard and depth of Ammo football?

Maybe it was the way I wrote it, maybe they don’t teach comprehension skills in the western suburbs or maybe neither sides like compliments (maybe it was all three). Either way, the point I was trying to make was that to some of us, on face value those results looked pretty solid.

Notwithstanding the above plus the fact it was only a practice match (and SMD still have 6 of their best 10 to come back in), both sides should be pretty positive for the year ahead. No?

Yeah - similar to Mappa, due to circumstances beyond my control, I ran around in the early hit-out and then dashed off quickly to undertake domestic duties. So I can't really shed any light on how the game panned out, save to say:

1. The Stars would be expected to improve greatly in their 2nd season in their competition after missing out on finals by % only; and

2. I believe we ran out with 14 guys who played seniors last season in the late game, with the other 14 being U19s and/or new guys who we haven't worked out if they're at sen/res/clubbies standard. A bit of a revolving door at the interchange and a 'suck it and see' approach was adopted.

In my experience, the best guage you can get from a PM is when the sides are in the same competition and at relatively similar strength. Rarely happens nowadays. Mind you, when a lower grade club meets a higher grade one and matches them (i.e. Rupo knocking off St Bernards pre-season 2007) that can certainly bode well for the lower grade club!

As for me, not a big wrap for these Cups being struck. Thus, consistent with the advice I received on the weekend from #46 from the Stars (who had more tatts than teeth) I'm off to take a sip from my Cup of Harden The F*** Up!!!

PS - the word at training tonight was the Stars were very pumped up to play as a couple of their lads were heading north to Darwin for the rest of the year. Headbutts, elbows and forearms were thrown in a manner which would incur numerous send-offs from properly qualified umpires (which we didn't have). I daresay we chose self-preservation over the non-existent 4 points and were just happy to hand over the Doug Nicholls Cup - which we may not wish to play for again.

Good Morning All

Yes it is I , the return of the great one is upon you and I must say that the roy is not happy.

Fraser - I hope we are not going to get these excuses all year - 14 senior players, not porper umpires, the other team was a bit rough.

It is not tiddlywinks man - it is FOOTBALL - the most brutal game on the planet.

That is all for now - but rest assured I am back in a big way this year as the roys re-start their assault on the inevitable A Section Flag that is our destiny.

Yours in greatness

The Roy

Well said son. I was just stating that by no means was it a case of David playing Goliath last weekend. Agree without doubt that the difference between the top four and the rest of the sides that play in the WRFL in particular is huge. You only need to be able to read Sundays paper to understand that. Was nice to give them a touch up though as i know in the Werribee area, the boys at soldiers reserve are given no credit whatsoever when we talk to players from Hoppers, Glenordinary etc.

Fraser - I hope we are not going to get these excuses all year

You are unlikely to get excuses Red Roy. I doubt the coaches will allow it. They have done a bloody fine job so far in pre-season in what can only be described as "testing circumstances". The uncertainty of training nights and venues, the uncertainty of practice match days and venues, or even when we can get onto Brunswick Street can't be easy to work with, but all of the coaches, and it must be said the players too, have taken it in their stride, sucked it up and got on with it. I'm sure we are not the only club in this situation, but whatever happens in 2009, you can expect plenty of effort and application, not plenty of excuses.

Go Reds / Roys / Lions / Gorillas / Maroons

You are unlikely to get excuses Red Roy. I doubt the coaches will allow it. They have done a bloody fine job so far in pre-season in what can only be described as "testing circumstances". The uncertainty of training nights and venues, the uncertainty of practice match days and venues, or even when we can get onto Brunswick Street can't be easy to work with, but all of the coaches, and it must be said the players too, have taken it in their stride, sucked it up and got on with it. I'm sure we are not the only club in this situation, but whatever happens in 2009, you can expect plenty of effort and application, not plenty of excuses.

Go Reds / Roys / Lions / Gorillas / Maroons

Those 'testing circumstances' seem eerily like potential excuses...

Hopefully you boys have a good year and there is no need for them!

Is the cup thingy between the reds and districts (sorry harps forgot the name, i know i should know that) at brunswick st this year or clarke shields? what round?

Would really like to win that after last year's debacle... still haven't forgiven big stinga for being out manouvred/positioned/bodied in that marking contest that can almost certainly be singled out for losing us the game!

Good Morning All

Yes it is I , the return of the great one is upon you and I must say that the roy is not happy.

Fraser - I hope we are not going to get these excuses all year - 14 senior players, not porper umpires, the other team was a bit rough.

It is not tiddlywinks man - it is FOOTBALL - the most brutal game on the planet.

That is all for now - but rest assured I am back in a big way this year as the roys re-start their assault on the inevitable A Section Flag that is our destiny.

Yours in greatness

The Roy

Roy,

Great to have you back.

Optimistic as always.

With four senior coaches in four years, lets hope the club can settle down
and consolidate this year with a finals appearance.

Will you be at round one Roy?

Is the cup thingy between the reds and districts (sorry harps forgot the name, i know i should know that) at brunswick st this year or clarke shields? what round?
The Bedford / Stevens Cup will be contested in round 9 (june 20) at Lindsay Hassett. Planning has already begun for a large luncheon and I have booked a trip to Perth for Steve McCarthy and Jason Evans :D(last years umps) so they are no where near South Melbourne come June.

Roy,

Great to have you back.

Optimistic as always.

With four senior coaches in four years, lets hope the club can settle down
and consolidate this year with a finals appearance.

Will you be at round one Roy?

Do you chaps seriously expect us to believe you have anything to do with Fitzroy? Seriously, you must play us for fools. :rolleyes:

We're not galactically stupid y'know.

Do you chaps seriously expect us to believe you have anything to do with Fitzroy? Seriously, you must play us for fools. :rolleyes:

Well, no I didn't know you weren't galactically stupid-thanks for telling me.

I will keep it in mind in future posts.

With all due respect, I couldn't give a toss what you think "newbie"...or is it really??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grum,

please post under your original name. Those in the know at BSO will tell you I am an icon down there and that my views are those held by the club. I speak for all the roy boys in my post and receive praise from such esteemed football minds as Scribe and Mappa on a regular basis.

In fact, when Scribe was a Scribe and not an aspiring Old trinity senior coach he actually quoted me in one of his colums.

When you have some credibility on this forum, you may speak of me. Until then we would all be pleased if you would keep your musings to yourself.

that is all

yours in greatness

the roy

Grum,

please post under your original name. Those in the know at BSO will tell you I am an icon down there and that my views are those held by the club. I speak for all the roy boys in my post and receive praise from such esteemed football minds as Scribe and Mappa on a regular basis.

In fact, when Scribe was a Scribe and not an aspiring Old trinity senior coach he actually quoted me in one of his colums.

When you have some credibility on this forum, you may speak of me. Until then we would all be pleased if you would keep your musings to yourself.

that is all

yours in greatness

the roy

Love your work Roymond!!

Well said son. I was just stating that by no means was it a case of David playing Goliath last weekend. Agree without doubt that the difference between the top four and the rest of the sides that play in the WRFL in particular is huge. You only need to be able to read Sundays paper to understand that. Was nice to give them a touch up though as i know in the Werribee area, the boys at soldiers reserve are given no credit whatsoever when we talk to players from Hoppers, Glenordinary etc.

Credit where credit is due Champ. Werribee had a great 2008 but lets not get carried away. Hoppers Crossing and Glenordinary as you prefer to call them would both beat Werribee easily.When they turn out their best sides and results mean something it may just become a little embarrasing for the boys at Soldiers reserve.

Credit where credit is due Champ. Werribee had a great 2008 but lets not get carried away. Hoppers Crossing and Glenordinary as you prefer to call them would both beat Werribee easily.When they turn out their best sides and results mean something it may just become a little embarrasing for the boys at Soldiers reserve.

Hoppers would smash every side in D1 by 10 goals at least. But Glenordinary NO FREAKING WAY. There is no way. The top 5 sides in WRFL are good, the 6th in Sunshine are ok and the rest are terrible and thats is proven week in week out when they get beat by 30 goals.

Well that's something we cant answer until the day comes when we play the boys from Birdsville. Being a birdsville boy for 28 years i had a long involvment with the club and still am in contact with alot of the boys who have no problem telling me that we would be a very tough opponent. Think Keals sums it up though

Well that's something we cant answer until the day comes when we play the boys from Birdsville. Being a birdsville boy for 28 years i had a long involvment with the club and still am in contact with alot of the boys who have no problem telling me that we would be a very tough opponent. Think Keals sums it up though

You are absolutely right Champ, it is a question that is unlikely to be answered. Opinions are like backsides, everybody has one and just like your goodself I to have a long association with football and my fair share of contacts. Werribee and all other D1 teams are just not anywhere near the level of a side like Hoppers Crossing.

:rolleyes:

U are seriously kidding arent u? as someone who watched glenorden and werribee play last year it is safe to say that werribee would dish out a similar type of smashing against birdsville fc as they did against altona

at least werribee would be fairly competitive against hoppers, unlike glen orden

:rolleyes:

U are seriously kidding arent u? as someone who watched glenorden and werribee play last year it is safe to say that werribee would dish out a similar type of smashing against birdsville fc as they did against altona

at least werribee would be fairly competitive against hoppers, unlike glen orden
Blokes that struggled to get a game at tiger land played senior footy at Glen Orden last season.

Tigers would pants Glen Orden. Again, just another opinion. Lets just hope the tigers will have another big year this year.

Werribee sounds like the team to beat. Most sides moving up the grades have proven to be very strong the following year. Rupo won by 6 goals over Doutta Stars today, we are looking pretty good, they had 101 of their best out, so we cant get too carried away. We are up and running. Bring on round 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back