D1 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heard a very good report from scribe WEST, your side of events please, how did the big 6 ins go ?

Very much looking forward to a terrific contest this week out at Ruperstwood.

Double chance right up for grabs now, terrifice run home in D1, Fitzroy win this week they take 4th spot for mine.
Might of needed another week to be 100% OK. Very disapointed with the effort put in. We looked like an under 10 side, while Fitzroy wanted it more and played like it. Seemed like we were just going through the motions. Need a HUGE improvement to be competitive this week against Ruppo. A loss will mean we will drop to third which will make it harder for us going forward.
TT, :eek: Podgey played a blinder and will improve even more this week

KB you are showing your feminine side opting for white, me I've always be a magenta person!

Anyway I don't reckon you could take too much away from a win over a battling young club, wouldn't read too much into that result better off that you wait for the next 3 weeks to see where you are at, the boys at Friars are eagerly awaiting rd 17. Maybe we will get a few back, 8-10 and we'll be ready for the stoush!

I'm not normally a betting man but you did take 6 icy ones from me in the first round I reckon the bet this time has probably got to be 8 stubbies Friar win and 6 stubbies Rupo that's a fair wager, let me know!

Turn it up Jack. If you show your head like you didn't last time i will shout you a beer with the 6 if you win. This deal should be reciprocated. Now we unleashed more stars last week that will only give sides more headaches than they think against us, that's my point. If you were there Saturday night as you would be welcome i'm sure magenta would have been forgotten all but be it briefly. We currently be totally focussed on Saturday's match against Werribee. As i listen to SEN it sounds like Werribee has a son of a gun in Shibecki. Now that man is a freak, if his son plays with the same passion the old man has for sport he may cause a few headaches. Werribee should come out roaring next week so the game should be a cracker.

I watched the movie hangover the other day and i now think i know how they felt. Big night at our annual dinner dance which always highlights the young ladies in their splendour. White is a popular color again.

KB, Saturday night proved that Rupo is as talented of field as it is on. There were WAGS, MILFS and a plethora of other acronyms on display all evening. A joy to behold really ! :p

CALL TO ARMS – SMD CAPTAIN BATTLES CANCER

The South Melbourne District AFC is devastated in alerting our Members, Supporters and the VAFA football community to the news that our Senior Co-Captain, Andrew Hannan has been diagnosed with cancer. Andrew informed the coaching staff and playing group recently at training that a tumor had been found in his abdomen and would be undergoing a coarse of chemo therapy and surgery as he beats this disease. So far Andrew and his doctors are positive that he will make a full recovery and all at The Club are behind Andrew and his family as he makes his way back to full health again soon.

Andrew and The Club would like to help raise funds and awareness about cancer and have joined the Cancer Council’s annual “Call to Arms” initiative. On August 1st South Melbourne District will wear yellow armbands in the home game against Aquinas at Lindsay Hasset Oval in Albert Park. The Club will also run various other fund raising activities.

To make a donation please visit The Club’s "Call to Arms" page at http://vic.cancercouncilfundraising.org.au/TeamPage.aspx?teamID=27718&LangPref=en-CA

Donations will also be accepted at The Club at training and on match days, please see Ross Mitchell or Maureen McGee.

The South Melbourne District AFC is devastated in alerting our Members, Supporters and the VAFA football community to the news that our Senior Co-Captain, Andrew Hannan has been diagnosed with cancer. Andrew informed the coaching staff and playing group recently at training that a tumor had been found in his abdomen and would be undergoing a coarse of chemo therapy and surgery as he beats this disease. So far Andrew and his doctors are positive that he will make a full recovery and all at The Club are behind Andrew and his family as he makes his way back to full health again soon.

Andrew and The Club would like to help raise funds and awareness about cancer and have joined the Cancer Council’s annual “Call to Arms” initiative. On August 1st South Melbourne District will wear yellow armbands in the home game against Aquinas at Lindsay Hasset Oval in Albert Park. The Club will also run various other fund raising activities.

To make a donation please visit The Club’s "Call to Arms" page at http://vic.cancercouncilfundraising.org.au/TeamPage.aspx?teamID=27718&LangPref=en-CA

Donations will also be accepted at The Club at training and on match days, please see Ross Mitchell or Maureen McGee.

Shocking News Harps, I found out about this not long ago through someone at the club and was in shock that it could happen to someone who appeared healthy and young!! Really puts things so minor like football into perspective when you hear about news like this. I know everyone at Aquinas wishes him a speedy and healthy recovery!! Maybe you can donate the proceeds of the many beers the boys will be drinking after the game to this great fundraiser.

How are the boys looking for the important clash this week? Many back from injury? I notice quite a few of your regular players from throughout the yrs are not playing at the moment, Costello being one of them? Will these players be playing again anytime soon?!?!

Never enjoyed the trip home from Lindsay Hasset Oval, thats for sure!!

Might of needed another week to be 100% OK. Very disapointed with the effort put in. We looked like an under 10 side, while Fitzroy wanted it more and played like it. Seemed like we were just going through the motions. Need a HUGE improvement to be competitive this week against Ruppo. A loss will mean we will drop to third which will make it harder for us going forward.
TT, :eek: Podgey played a blinder and will improve even more this week

shocking news that harps - our best wishes are with the big fella ..
a couple of big games this week 4 of the 5 games will have bearing on the season , could be some clubs upset could be some upset clubs ,

king brown you and scribe are the senior crapologists here , how do you see the weekend unfolding

Shocking News Harps, I found out about this not long ago through someone at the club and was in shock that it could happen to someone who appeared healthy and young!! Really puts things so minor like football into perspective when you hear about news like this. I know everyone at Aquinas wishes him a speedy and healthy recovery!! Maybe you can donate the proceeds of the many beers the boys will be drinking after the game to this great fundraiser.

How are the boys looking for the important clash this week? Many back from injury? I notice quite a few of your regular players from throughout the yrs are not playing at the moment, Costello being one of them? Will these players be playing again anytime soon?!?!

Never enjoyed the trip home from Lindsay Hasset Oval, thats for sure!!

Thanks for your thoughts in regards to Choco.

We should have a couple back this week Bloods as numbers were great on the track last night, I'm not sure if they will be straight into the 1's though as some have missed quite a bit of footy. Should be a cracker as usual, I'll make sure Reg has plenty of bourbon in the fridge for you.

Thanks for your thoughts in regards to Choco.

We should have a couple back this week Bloods as numbers were great on the track last night, I'm not sure if they will be straight into the 1's though as some have missed quite a bit of footy. Should be a cracker as usual, I'll make sure Reg has plenty of bourbon in the fridge for you.

Big day down at Lindsay Hasset oval this saturday! Major battle of the bloods!!! Aquinas captian John Jess playing his 200th game against opposing coach (and cousin) Gerard Jess, Souths needing to win to stay alive in D1 and always play well on thier home deck! Should be a beauty!!!

But as already mentioned, especially for Souths, there is a more important reason behind this game on saturday for them, which really does show that some of the issues spoken about on this forum and many others, mean nothing compared to the issues of cancer, and really does prove that as important as football is to some people, at the end of the day there are far more important aspects of life that mean a great deal more. However it is fantastic that a game of football can bring 2 clubs (who lets face it, are enemies, but have 100% respect for one an other) together to help support not only the South's player and family affected, but also raise awareness on a very serious issue.

Lets hope its a great game of footy down there on Saturday and if you have the chance get down and support this great casue and have a beer or 2 after the game!

Go Bloods ! (Aquinas that is)

Good Luck to SMD and Aquinas on Saturday. This situation puts everyone on hold for a minute or two. The hurly burly of everything becomes insignificant. Whilst i will be madly barracking for Rupppo on Saturday, my mind will wander thinking of Andrew not because i know him but because he is obviously a special person to the people at SMD. This is testament to why the Amateurs is a great place to be involved in football.

Whilst it is not been talked about we have had one of our players go through a cancer scare this year. It has turned out OK thankfully.
I have lost both parents through this horrible disease, yet i still don't fully comprehend it. My thoughts are with SMD and Andrew.

SMD by 4pts last kick of the day Aqualina.

Good luck to everyone this week. Leroy Brennan is on a Garuda Airline flight to get back to play footy, it will be touch and go!!!

Harper it is always terrible when a young person is affected by this scourge, it seems to be touching many of us these days and all we can do is hope & pray that Andrew gets through it. The spirit your lads showed last week was really admirable as they would have known about this and it is the sort of thing that can really gut a club, we know as we have been through it before. Good luck to Andrew I'm sure that all at the Friars wish him a speedy recovery and we all look forward to his recovery.

Big week on the pastures this week with plenty of clutch games

NOBS v Fitzroy - It's season ending stuff if NOBS don't win as it will put them 3 games adrift with the Roys probably winning 2 of their last 3. Roy boys of a red hot performance and perhaps NOBS a bit jaded after a string of victories, flip the coin, Roys by a point.
Rupo V Werribee - It will be interesting to see how the Bees bounce back but I don't think they will have the class to go with Rupo at the volcano! Rupo by 38 points.
Bloods v Bloods - can't seperate them so will pick Bloods (eastern) just a bit too much skill by a point
Prahan v OM - Just looks a bit like OM are running out of juice and Prahan will be keen to sure up D1 for next year the Blues by 10 points
Friars v ESL - Expecting a great match and hopefully with as many highlights as our last clash but similar result Friars by 27

KB I would have though odds were ok with that bet given that on form you are a 6-7 goal better side then anyone else in the comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best wishes to Andrew on a speedy recovery. let the club know if anything Aquinas can do (aside from throwing the match) to help on the day. Lets hope for a cracking match between 2 rivals and a few bourbons in the clubbies after!!

Werribee too good today. Not sure what happened to us, many times this year we have been threatened big time only to respond in a big way. To Werribees credit they persisted with hard footy, i believed we were virtually unbeatable so that theory has been smashed. The fight for the premiership is now more open than ever with Fitzroy's emphatic win today a message to all. Whitefriars have continued as the quiet achiever.

The umpires today were disappointing. No reflection on the result, but a terrible calamity of inconsistency. Werribee supporters would agree IMO.

Well done to SMD a great win. The relegation stakes is wide open.

What has happened to OMENT, a chance to play finals has been all but diminished with some terrible recent performances.

Go Rupppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppo!!!!

Werribee too good today. Not sure what happened to us, many times this year we have been threatened big time only to respond in a big way. To Werribees credit they persisted with hard footy, i believed we were virtually unbeatable so that theory has been smashed. The fight for the premiership is now more open than ever with Fitzroy's emphatic win today a message to all. Whitefriars have continued as the quiet achiever.

The umpires today were disappointing. No reflection on the result, but a terrible calamity of inconsistency. Werribee supporters would agree IMO.

Well done to SMD a great win. The relegation stakes is wide open.

What has happened to OMENT, a chance to play finals has been all but diminished with some terrible recent performances.

Go Rupppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppo!!!!

Made the trip out to Salesian today. What a win by the boys. its was a good, game for four quarters. one of the better games of amatuer footy that I have seen. Hard and tough by both teams, and played in pretty good spirit.

Credit to the Rupo fans, they were great, and gracious in defeat.

I agree KB, Umpiring was a disgrace, I felt for a while we were unlucky, to then think we got free kicks that weren't there, so It was two way traffic, however still frustrating and only dampener on a great viewing game.

Cam Lee played really well in a foreign role for him, and Matty A, Daniel Pelar, Cutcho, Nath Addamo, Matty & Shaun Dean were brilliant in defence all day.

congratulations to both sides on a great display. And the canteen for a wonderful hotdog, that was fairly priced!

Go tiges.

Cam Lee played really well in a foreign role for him
Go tiges.[/quote]

It may have been foreign, but he was comprehensively outplayed. He may have reduced the influence of our player (29 posessions), but he had under 10 and threw a very cheap shot late in the game. His effort at a tag was admirable but definitely his recognition as 2nd best was an encouragement award more so than a performance that was above some of the other Werribee boys.

Interesting events post halftime at BSO with NOBs to-ing to our fro-ing during the first half, but failing to fire a shot in the third when we piled on 9 snags to 1 (pretty sure the correct half time score was 9.9.63 to 8.5.53).

Once the gap was 5 goals, NOBs heads went down as they had surrendered all momentum and were pretty much resigned to 'no man's land' for remainder of season 2009.

A fairly clean bill of health post-match means we face SMD and Prahran in reasonable shape, with a couple more inclusions possible next week. However, given both clubs posted great wins today, these are more than danger games and the battle for fourth spot will continue all the way up to rd 18.

A few more twists and turns in this one yet.

Go tiges.

It may have been foreign, but he was comprehensively outplayed. He may have reduced the influence of our player (29 posessions), but he had under 10 and threw a very cheap shot late in the game. His effort at a tag was admirable but definitely his recognition as 2nd best was an encouragement award more so than a performance that was above some of the other Werribee boys.[/quote]

Well KB sounds like a ding dong battle at the volcano, disappointed to hear your comments about Lee he did the same thing when we played Werribee (don't sook and carry on you Werribee blokes tell him to smarten up).

As I have said all year Werribee are clearly a very capable footy team and will be in the running in September. Couple of ???? marks over Rupo now especially rushing big bad Leroy back in after a couple of weeks sojourn! Wonder how the blokes who got dropped at Rupo felt about that??

Big results at Prahan and SMD.

ESL were really undermanned with injuries today and weren't able to run with the Friars. Not much to read into the result but I reckon next week at Aquinas could be a beauty. Best after match turn up by the opposition today, well done Animals classy effort!

Great news from out at Sunbury yesterday. The boys well and truly bounced back from last week and have now got their sights firmly set on the double chance.

I reckon if we keep the Friars in 3rd we are a good chance to book a spot for C section with a 2nd semi win!!!

Fitzroy looking more dangerous by the week, and seem to have 4th in their keeping. Good to see the Districts winning after a shocking week for their club with Andrew Hannam's diagnosis. Best wishes to them and here's hoping they can keep the wins coming and stay up for 2010.

I fear ESL are only a week away from certain relegation, which is a shame as they seem to be a great bunch of lads. Aquinas still a solid chance of going down with them.

congrats to Paul Greenham on his return to footy after his shocking knee injury. Great to see him back.

Big day for SMD after an emotional week and we partied long and hard. A big thank you to Aquinas who always deliver a cracking contest and added plenty to the spirit of the day. Bloods22, hope your arm is ok. Umpires were terrific and looked resplendant in yellow. Andy made it to the game and gave one of the best pre match speeches I've heard and the boys responded perfectly.

Thanks to all for the kind words and well wishes for Andy, after seeing him yesterday I know he'll pull through and it means plenty to him that his team mates and opposition are thinking of him.

Onto Fitzroy and Bedford-Stephen #4, plenty of life left in SMD so look out Roy Boys!

News just in.....

Old mentonains club stalwart David Bardoel has been caught up in bit of trouble last nite with a female taxi driver. It is alleged Mr bardoel passed out in her lap while driving. It is believed it is our friend Mr singhs better half. Mrs Singh took the gesture the wrong way but however it didnt stop the pair from hoping on the good foot at the Beaumaris Hilton it is believed at this stage no thrid party involved.

the alleged taxi

Baz

I think it is fair to say yesterday sounded the death knell for NOBS for the year. The look on the players faces certainly suggested that.

Terry, self appointed, must be seriously reconsidering his position after failing to deliver on this years "unfinished business" motto. Whilst the last 6 weeks has been a lot better, the bitter disappointment of being 10-0 and going out in straight sets last year, still lingers. Ouch!

We didn't book our holidays in September last year( but many wished they did after watching the finals!) but we can ring the travel agent tomorrow!

Interesting times ahead for the club and the coaching scenario.

Well played Fitzoy, who looked very good and have a nice cosy couple of weeks coming up. Could cause a boilover in the finals.

Go tiges.

It may have been foreign, but he was comprehensively outplayed. He may have reduced the influence of our player (29 posessions), but he had under 10 and threw a very cheap shot late in the game. His effort at a tag was admirable but definitely his recognition as 2nd best was an encouragement award more so than a performance that was above some of the other Werribee boys.[/quote]

I reckon you might be on the whacky tabaccy!

Cam Lee had well more than the under 10 you are claiming, and the 29 that your bloke got, may be inflated, and were not effective. other then the screamer he took in the last, had a minimal influence on the game, and the result was telling. Points clearly went to Cameron Lee.

I didnt see the cheap shot, so no comment, however saw the one in the reserves game, only to see our bloke (Tate) sent off. I think the Rupo umpire had some rose coloured glasses on......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back