D1 - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A fair few changes expected at Old Geelong after last week's loss at Old Mentone, almost a season defining game at BT tomorrow otherwise they could end up in purgatory.

14_08_d1.gif

Clearly - just went through all opposition websites - and you wouldn't believe it - everyone has a big upcoming function when they play BT.

Good one Clown !

Depends on where the function is being held.

If it's being held in the Ivanhoe, Bulleen area then it makes sense to book in then.

Otherwise, might as well book your city functions when you play Melbourne High out there.

Nothing better than a club function following a massive win :)

:eek:We all love stats nowadays, and whilst the premiership ladder always remains the true measure of success, here is a snapshot of how the clubs are maintaining stability and consistency in their playing group.

Let's call it the Stability Ladder

Team total players/6 games+

Very stable

OMs 29/15
Prahran 31/14
OGs 32/15

Pretty stable

Yarra 35/16
Therry 35/15
NOBSPC 35/14
BTemp 35/14
Willy 36/15

Unstable
Whitefriars 41/12
MHSOB 42/6

The higher the spot on the ladder, the better your club is performing re: maintaining a stable core list.

Kudos to OMs physios and coaching staff for no doubt getting close to their best 22 on the park so often.

As for MHSOB and to a lesser extent Whitefriars, those numbers of players used (exceeding 40 already) with so few regulars are alarming in the extreme!!

How good were OMs physios on the weekend!?
Shattered they don't work for the twos.

Feels like a long hiatus during the bye. Saw on the vafa website that Jack Gray played in the 'rep side' vs tasmania u/23 match. the only one to make it in the team, he must've deserved it based on what I've heard from the different clubs this year, surprised a few theory boys didn't get the call up. some big games coming up this week, should be interesting to see how the week off helps everybody out. Particularly whitefriars and old mentonians will be desperate for the 4 points, to keep there finals chances alive.

Clearly - just went through all opposition websites - and you wouldn't believe it - everyone has a big upcoming function when they play BT.

Good one Clown !

Anyone know how Williamstown's reverse draw was on Saturday night? Even Melbourne High have booked their annual ball booked this Saturday night in the hope they secure their 2nd (and possibly last) win for the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From 2nd to 7th there is only 2 games between the sides. Who do we think are going to make the 4?

Let's say Therry doesn't lose a game in run home, which is unlikely but possible.

Let's use Prahran, Willy and Old Geelong, who are all brilliant at home and terrible away.

AWAY, Prahran has:

NOBS - lost
Old Mentonians - lost
Yarra Valley - lost
MHSOB - won
Therry - lost

Coming up, I'd say they'll win 4/5 at home (losing to Therry), and away:

Old Geelong - lose
Whitefriars - lose (50/50)
Bulleen - win
Willy - lose

That will give Prahran 10 wins. Even if they beat Whitefriars, 11 won't be enough to make finals.

I think NOBS win 7/9 in run home, losing to Therry and Prahran away. Gives them 13 wins.

Willy, too, have struggled away, only beating Old Mentonians by 4 points.
But they've seem to play the bottom teams at home and the good teams away.

Pencil them in for 7/9, losing to Therry at home and losing to NOBS away. They can beat OG at home.

That gives OG six wins in run home.

Eight-point games: Rd 11 - Willy v Old Geelong, Rd 12 - NOBS v Willy, Rd 14 - NOBS v Old Geelong

To make top 2, Old Geelong would have to win in either Rd 10 (Therry), R11 or R14.

FINAL LADDER:

Therry (18)
NOBS (13)
Willy (13)
Old Geelong (12)
Prahran (10)

Let's say Therry doesn't lose a game in run home, which is unlikely but possible.

Let's use Prahran, Willy and Old Geelong, who are all brilliant at home and terrible away.

AWAY, Prahran has:

NOBS - lost
Old Mentonians - lost
Yarra Valley - lost
MHSOB - won
Therry - lost

Coming up, I'd say they'll win 4/5 at home (losing to Therry), and away:

Old Geelong - lose
Whitefriars - lose (50/50)
Bulleen - win
Willy - lose

That will give Prahran 10 wins. Even if they beat Whitefriars, 11 won't be enough to make finals.

I think NOBS win 7/9 in run home, losing to Therry and Prahran away. Gives them 13 wins.

Willy, too, have struggled away, only beating Old Mentonians by 4 points.
But they've seem to play the bottom teams at home and the good teams away.

Pencil them in for 7/9, losing to Therry at home and losing to NOBS away. They can beat OG at home.

That gives OG six wins in run home.

Eight-point games: Rd 11 - Willy v Old Geelong, Rd 12 - NOBS v Willy, Rd 14 - NOBS v Old Geelong

To make top 2, Old Geelong would have to win in either Rd 10 (Therry), R11 or R14.

FINAL LADDER:

Therry (18)
NOBS (13)
Willy (13)
Old Geelong (12)
Prahran (10)

If every team save for Therry is crap when they travel, the your calculation is way out of whack already. Any one with reasonable experience in the VAFA knows upsets occur big time in the second half of the season. Traditionally sides in the top half of the ladder drop more games in the second half.

You are backing all of them to play as well as they already have, or better, despite several having 5 more away games to play.

If every team save for Therry is crap when they travel, the your calculation is way out of whack already. Any one with reasonable experience in the VAFA knows upsets occur big time in the second half of the season. Traditionally sides in the top half of the ladder drop more games in the second half.

You are backing all of them to play as well as they already have, or better, despite several having 5 more away games to play.

If I had to have a top 4 prediction from what I've seen so far this year, I'd have

Therry
NOBS
Old Geelong
Willy

makes next Saturday's game so vital.

Round 11.
Nob's
Williamstown
Therry
Prahan
Mentone

All the home team's, big game Williamstown v Geelong, might head over to the coldest place on earth in winter to see if Williamstown are the real deal, or Geelong can pinch an away game and stay in touch with the top 4.

Also ventured down to Burbank for the game of the round! Despite a great start, Old geelong couldn't keep up with williamstown in the second half! There performance was also hindered by an embarrassing attempt of mark by number 3 of old Geelong ten meters in the clear and dropping his head at the wrong time. Not what you want from your players let alone their captain who I think he was... Molan up forward was dominant for the cys! Any other reports from the w/end?

After watching them on the weekend what are you thinking about Williamstown? serious contenders? or pretenders?
They have won some very important games this year, but at the same time, lost some very winnable ones.
Interested to see how they go this week, second spot up for grabs, away from home, will be interesting.
I see Carland and Cooper are back in their lineup! Im sure that will give them a boost for the last half of the season!
Hopefully Cooper can stay on the park!
Also what are you thinking about Old Geelong now? puts them well behind the pack.
Interested on your thoughts goodcallbadcall and 2411?

Also ventured down to Burbank for the game of the round! Despite a great start, Old geelong couldn't keep up with williamstown in the second half! There performance was also hindered by an embarrassing attempt of mark by number 3 of old Geelong ten meters in the clear and dropping his head at the wrong time. Not what you want from your players let alone their captain who I think he was... Molan up forward was dominant for the cys! Any other reports from the w/end?[/QUOTE

It will be interesting to see how OG go this weekend travelling out to Yarra Valley, if they win that they are a huge chance for 4th and if YV win they are a chance to take 4th.

Did venture to Burbank oval last week to see Williamstown and OG's. Williamstown were to strong for OG's as good all has said earlier. If you look look at history on the site you would believe the Fearon is a fortress small ground etc, but watching them on I independent larger ground they were all over OGs with there game style. Also agree Luke Molan added to their line up has definitely given the team some depth.
Not OGs travel to well and this week YV will be a test to see if they will be there come finals, also same test for Williamstown in the game of the round playing NOBs at home.

Round 12

Williamstown, test my theory on winning games away from home and establish themselves as contenders?
Yarra Valley, from the results this year OGs don't travel well.
Prahan, make up for the home loss last week.
MHSOB, because they are home.
Therry, the steam train will keep rolling.

Good luck to all.

Did venture to Burbank oval last week to see Williamstown and OG's. Williamstown were to strong for OG's as good all has said earlier. If you look look at history on the site you would believe the Fearon is a fortress small ground etc, but watching them on I independent larger ground they were all over OGs with there game style. Also agree Luke Molan added to their line up has definitely given the team some depth.
Not OGs travel to well and this week YV will be a test to see if they will be there come finals, also same test for Williamstown in the game of the round playing NOBs at home.

Round 12

Williamstown, test my theory on winning games away from home and establish themselves as contenders?
Yarra Valley, from the results this year OGs don't travel well.
Prahan, make up for the home loss last week.
MHSOB, because they are home.
Therry, the steam train will keep rolling.

Good luck to all.

Only two out of five there.

Friars finally got results for their improved efforts and playing list!

Only a lazy 113 point turnaround from 6 weeks ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back