D2 D2 Ammos 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on mate, Ferndale Park might look OK but it is still a sh*t footy ground. Greyhounds have more room in their boxes than a side has in those changerooms then you have to share the showers with the opposition! As for that hill .........

Apart from St Mary's S**t ground, lets be honest and admit the place is basically full of s**t people. The fact they have managed to weazle there way into D2 is a slur on the ammos reputation.

Apart from St Mary's S**t ground, lets be honest and admit the place is basically full of s**t people. The fact they have managed to weazle there way into D2 is a slur on the ammos reputation.

Should the Salesian St Marys club start in D4 as most NEW clubs to the Ammos do, maybe the merged club should have split the difference and gone to D3 saving Williamstown the heartbreak of demotion by less than 1% or is it right for them to start in D2? What do you reckon?

D3 for mine!

Should the Salesian St Marys club start in D4 as most NEW clubs to the Ammos do, maybe the merged club should have split the difference and gone to D3 saving Williamstown the heartbreak of demotion by less than 1% or is it right for them to start in D2? What do you reckon?

D3 for mine!

You open yourself to alot of what ifs Harps.

I think that the current rules should apply with mergers. If you applied your case to the Parkdale - St Pat's merger a few years back then St Pats would have to go from a competitive C grade side to what D2 or D3? And you can not leave it in the hands of the VAFA to make the call, you would have too much room for bias and the like. The current system is simple, works well and is ok by me.

Mudflap and Punta. :thumbsdown:
Firstly what team do you both play for??? Cause I am tipping you play for a struggling clubs. You both sound very jelous and threatned by the merge.
Why should we play in D3 or D4 when Salesian was middle of the table last year in D2 without home gronud facilitys. Ok yes St Marys was in D4 last year, so for example if St Marys had of folded their club at the end of last year and Salesian recruited all there players would we then need to play in D4??? I dont think so!

Secondly the St Marys boys are fantastic bunch of guys and both clubs have hit it off better than could of been imagined!

Really Mudflap, Punta come back to us with a worthwhile argument cause this one just dont stack up, it is just two blokes having a sook. Wipes your eyes boys!

Firstly what team do you both play for??? Cause I am tipping you play for a struggling clubs. You both sound very jelous and threatned by the merge.
Why should we play in D3 or D4 when Salesian was middle of the table last year in D2 without home gronud facilitys. Ok yes St Marys was in D4 last year, so for example if St Marys had of folded their club at the end of last year and Salesian recruited all there players would we then need to play in
Secondly the St Marys boys are fantastic bunch of guys and both clubs D4??? I dont think so!have hit it off better than could of been imagined!

Really Mudflap, Punta come back to us with a worthwhile argument cause this one just dont stack up, it is just two blokes having a sook. Wipes your eyes boys!

Agree!

There has been plenty of mergers through the VAFA in recent years and those clubs didnt start in D4?

Salesian/StMarys will be a very competitive side. Yep the ground is small but not many grounds have green grass like they do.

Why should we play in D3 or D4 when Salesian was middle of the table last year in D2 without home gronud facilitys. Ok yes St Marys was in D4 last year, so for example if St Marys had of folded their club at the end of last year and Salesian recruited all there players would we then need to play in D4??? I dont think so!

Secondly the St Marys boys are fantastic bunch of guys and both clubs have hit it off better than could of been imagined!

You know what your right Dizwah I don't have a real valid argument.

But that still doesn't change my mind to the fact that I think St.Mary's are still a bunch of s**t blokes.

Spot on Dizwah!!
There is absolutley no reason why we should not be in D2, Salesian fought extremly hard to stay up in the division and just because we have merged to survive doesnt mean we should go down a grade or two!!!

I take punta's point on the change rooms, but we do have the $600k grant for the construction of new clubrooms due to be completed in 2009!
Nothing wrong with a small ground either, good for older blokes like me sitting at full forward!!

As for the St Mary's people being sh*t people. Thats obvioulsy a comment for an outsider who either got smashed by them in the past or copped one on the field, either way still holding a grudge!! I mean seriously, how would you know unless you have been a part of the club, stupid comment...... great blokes down there and very well run.

Spot on Dizwah!!
There is absolutley no reason why we should not be in D2, Salesian fought extremly hard to stay up in the division and just because we have merged to survive doesnt mean we should go down a grade or two!!!

I take punta's point on the change rooms, but we do have the $600k grant for the construction of new clubrooms due to be completed in 2009!
Nothing wrong with a small ground either, good for older blokes like me sitting at full forward!!

As for the St Mary's people being sh*t people. Thats obvioulsy a comment for an outsider who either got smashed by them in the past or copped one on the field, either way still holding a grudge!! I mean seriously, how would you know unless you have been a part of the club, stupid comment...... great blokes down there and very well run.
maybe a well run club now as the merger but couldn't have too well run previously if a merger was necessary?

maybe a well run club now as the merger but couldn't have too well run previously if a merger was necessary?

How wrong you are tiger!!!

The merger was never "necessary" for St Mary's, they had 2 sides playing finals football last year with plenty of numbers. They saw the merger with Salesian as one, an chance to have a good link with a school and two, an opportunity to move up to D2 with a good club, which in turn would attract better players as a result.

So maybe you shouldnt be making off the cuff remarks when you really have no idea.

How wrong you are tiger!!!

The merger was never "necessary" for St Mary's, they had 2 sides playing finals football last year with plenty of numbers. They saw the merger with Salesian as one, an chance to have a good link with a school and two, an opportunity to move up to D2 with a good club, which in turn would attract better players as a result.

So maybe you shouldnt be making off the cuff remarks when you really have no idea.

So what was the reasoning behind the merger?

Was it moreso St Mary's taking over Salesians?

So what was the reasoning behind the merger?

Was it moreso St Mary's taking over Salesians?

Pretty sure the reason for the merger on St Mary's behalf was explained pretty clearly in my previous post!! From Salesian's side, we didnt have a home ground to play out of! Simple. Both clubs saw it as a great opportunity to secure the future of both clubs. It is by no means a "take over" by any stretch of the imagination, it is a 100% merger with both clubs commitee and players coming together.

Pretty sure the reason for the merger on St Mary's behalf was explained pretty clearly in my previous post!! From Salesian's side, we didnt have a home ground to play out of! Simple. Both clubs saw it as a great opportunity to secure the future of both clubs. It is by no means a "take over" by any stretch of the imagination, it is a 100% merger with both clubs commitee and players coming together.

Hey Griff, have you sorted out the colours and design of the jumper yet, nickname?, song?
Please don't tell me you'll put some stupid cartoon on the front

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Griff, have you sorted out the colours and design of the jumper yet, nickname?, song?
Please don't tell me you'll put some stupid cartoon on the front

The jumper design is pretty much done, it will be a combo of both jumpers. Nickname im pretty sure will be the griffin's (same as the old Salesian one). Song, no idea but hopefully not ours!!!!! No stupid cartoon harpes, not that i will have to wear the jumper this year anyway!!!!

Werribee -
Banyule -
Therry Penola -
Old Paradians -
St Marys Salesian - Steven Maus
Glen Eira -
Bentleigh -
Old Westbourne -
Emmaus St Leos -
Ivanhoe -

D3 for mine!

Sorry Harps- think you normally make a lot of sense but this does not- why should a club who merges drop grades? First of all it would be very harsh on the teams they end up playing, secondly, why should a team that has been a long term member of the VAFA drop grades just because they choose to keep their club alive, consolidate, or just simply strengthen their position??

therry penola have been ringing a mate of mine that plays for another ammo`s club to get him down...offered him a gig in the 1`s as he plays in the 2`s at his club and is leading goalkicker would dominate d2 he is considering it. would be great for therry if they get him

Sorry Harps- think you normally make a lot of sense but this does not- why should a club who merges drop grades? First of all it would be very harsh on the teams they end up playing, secondly, why should a team that has been a long term member of the VAFA drop grades just because they choose to keep their club alive, consolidate, or just simply strengthen their position??

No need to apologise oc37 my opinion was put out there to encourage some debate and I'm glad some posters have responded. To be honest I thought I was actually sitting on the fence a little by just splitting the diff between Salesian D2 and St Marys D4 and it was probably what I've read on the D4 thread that formed my opinion more than what has been written here in D2.
I think we probably need to have a clear definition of whether the merged clubs are in fact a NEW club or the same clubs who are equal parts Club A and Club B.
If the club is deemed to be a NEW club then off to D4 and win your way up as Bentleigh, SMD, South Mornigton, yudda, yudda, yudda have to. Regardless of what you think of the "blokes" at St Mary's it's a pretty sweet ride and if I were involved in a D3 club I'd be spitting chips about seeing them skip a grade but at the same time I understand that It would be a huge kick in the guts to Salesian to have to drop 2 grades after surviving such a testing year.
Still D3 for mine!
I don't know much about the history of mergers in the VAFA so if I'm way off the mark as far as precidents go then I'm ready to cop the BF posters wrath and for the record Good Luck to 'em.

Werribee -
Banyule -
Therry Penola -
Old Paradians -
St Marys Salesian - Steven Maus
Glen Eira -
Bentleigh -
Old Westbourne -
Emmaus St Leos -
Ivanhoe -

Is this your attempt at end of year ladder predictions for the upcoming season?? Decent effort, but I hope its not and is just your attempt at the list of teams competing in the D2 08 season!! Anyway this is how the ladder will look more or less coming into rnd 15-16 of the 08 season. Enjoy!

Top 4 will be (in no particular order) - Old Paradians
- Emmaus St leos
- Werribee *
- Glen Eira*

Teams battling for 5th position - Old Westbourne*
- Therry Penola *
- Banyule

Cellar Dwellars (relegation zone) - St Mary's Salesian
- Bentleigh
- Ivanhoe

Teams with an astrix * next to them means these will be the most likely teams that could go either way in the top 4 or battle for 5th.

Is this your attempt at end of year ladder predictions for the upcoming season?? Decent effort, but I hope its not and is just your attempt at the list of teams competing in the D2 08 season!! Anyway this is how the ladder will look more or less coming into rnd 15-16 of the 08 season. Enjoy!

Top 4 will be (in no particular order) - Old Paradians
- Emmaus St leos
- Werribee *
- Glen Eira*

Teams battling for 5th position - Old Westbourne*
- Therry Penola *
- Banyule

Cellar Dwellars (relegation zone) - St Mary's Salesian
- Bentleigh
- Ivanhoe

Teams with an astrix * next to them means these will be the most likely teams that could go either way in the top 4 or battle for 5th.

It wasnt a ladder prediction Shane's-man was in reply to someone who asked who the coaches were. As far as ladder predictiosn, i dont know much about D2, but would think that you have the new combine far too low- combine two groups of very talented youngsters with a few veterans, and you have a pretty handy team. If you throw in the fact salesian had Singh return at mid season along with half the Parkmore side(followed by significant form surge), you almost have a three team merger. With a very good coach on board, this could be an exciting year for the Gryhpon/Saint/Pirates

It wasnt a ladder prediction Shane's-man was in reply to someone who asked who the coaches were. As far as ladder predictiosn, i dont know much about D2, but would think that you have the new combine far too low- combine two groups of very talented youngsters with a few veterans, and you have a pretty handy team. If you throw in the fact salesian had Singh return at mid season along with half the Parkmore side(followed by significant form surge), you almost have a three team merger. With a very good coach on board, this could be an exciting year for the Gryhpon/Saint/Pirates

Ivanhoe won't be down the bottom. Can anyone confirm from Ivanhoe that Tom Healy has returned to the club after 4 years at Trinity.
Westbourne will be a very good side and would expext them to finish top 2.

No one from pakmore will be at the club this year. Only 3 of them played seniors anyway (and only for 1 or 2 games)

I think you are overrating the quality of any Parkmore players given they went in to recess from SFL Div 3 having been pummelled by margins as much as 40 goals. Too early to talking the merger up as a success as it is only the honeymoon period. Wait for 1 party to feel that they aren't getting the right number of players selected each week etc & then we will see how harmonious everyone is.

For what its worth having come from a SFL divvy 1 club that was forced to join in D4, I reckon any merged sides should come in @ the grade of the lowest team in the merger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back