D2 for 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Singh is a very good player as seen last year on a number of occasions before he disappeared. Not really a team player though so not sure how he will go as a coach. You can't really begrudge a player of his talent going after some coin but wouldnt say he is coach material.

Guru Out!

Whilst Singh may not have appeared so, he is a terrific leader on and off the field and is fantastic at getting his teammates up and about, i guess the guys that demand alot of teammates may not always look like they have the respect of their teammates, Singh always did demand alot, but he would always lead by example he is a very, very good clubman and will develop into a great coach, also did alot of community development work and coaching clinics whilst at collingwood which can only help his cause.

Latrobe vs SMS -
2 winners from Rd1, although Latrobe were by far more convincing. SMS had plent of newbies on the park and made the most of their D3 reprieve by opening with a solid win to open 2011. Students to unveil their pennant at home and take home the chockies.

Eltham vs Aquinas -
Hard to tip the Ringwood boys after last week's performance. They are a proud bunch and will be determined to give a better account this week, but the Turtles with Ciavola up front will have too many guns.

SMD vs Glen Eira -
Sth performed well at Broady, and GE got home against the JOCs. Good start by both clubs as not too many clubs venture to Therry expecting to win...
GE play their 2nd consecutive away game. but they look to have found a beauty in Boyd up forward. Wonder if his brother will join him soon ?
Also happened to notice that there were a lot of new faces on the park in the GE Seniors (and a helluva lot of last year's key players doing 'time' in the magoos). GE by a few.

St Leo's Vs Old Westbourne -
Didn't get much feedback about SLEWP's form last week but a W is a good way to start. Animals to follow up last week's good form & towel up the Westy's who battled gamely early against SMS but were run over quickly. Hudson needs to kick a bag to give OW any chance.

Therry vs St Johns - JOCs battled hard last week and were stiff not to win.Therry again at Broady will be hard to toss. Home team just.

Round 2 Thoughts.

Old Eltham vs Aquinas
La Trobe University vs St Marys Salesian
South Melbourne vs Glen Eira
St Johns vs Therry Penola
Old Westbourne vs Emmaus St Leos

You can all stop waiting its the moment we all look forward to every week. The Gurus Tips! After getting all the tips spot on last week (dont go back and double check) its time to fill you all in again.

Latrobe v SMS - Tough game for the saints. Leaving the postage stamp and off to a large paddock might test them out against equal flag favourite. The students in this one.

Eltham v Aquina - Long year ahead for Aquinas and boys from turtle land will be too good.

SMD v Glen Eira - Glen Eira to big and too strong.

StL v OW - Number 13 in the backline for OW played well last week taking marks at will but he is just one man. STL by 30 points

Therry v St J - Its a long trip for the doveton lads and the travel fatigue will be too much. Therry by 25 points

You heard it here first

Guru Out!

who will be the top 6 teams this year my tips in no particular order
Glen Eira
St Johns
Therry
Latrobe
St Marys
St leos

Holy Heck Majicman.....it's a bit early to be putting a line thru any team yet isn't it -let alone after after ound 1 ?
I realise a couple of teams have had a tough start to the season, but surely there's a mighty long way to go before they would need to focus on any likely relegation or promotion issues

Sayna i am just tring to get a feel who will be the teams to beat this year
i know its early and teams will improve so lets just call it an early form guide

Tough day out at Latrobe for SMS. Latrobe lived up to there flag favouritism and will be very very hard to beat this year particularly at home, they play that large ground very well. Young, fit and quick describes them best with plenty of depth.

How did everyone else go?

Guru Out!

Not sure about Flag favourites just yet.

I heard they lost a few to injury on the weekend plus they haven't played Glen Eira, Therry or Emmaus.

We will know how latrobe are going first week back after easter as they play Glen Eria @ Glen Eria

That will be a big game. It will be interesting to see how La Trobe go on the small ground.

I'm looking forward to the next few rounds as it should give us more of an indication where teams are at as there are a few question marks and rumours on a number of teams

The next couple of weeks should let us know where we all stand. SMS still have training on the Tues public holiday, should b a huge turn out;)

Will be very interesting to see how Latrobe go on a smaller ground they are definatly suited to the larger ground but still favourite for me

Guru Out!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Guru
What makes you say the Students won't be suited to a small ground?
I know they're used to playing on a massive home oval but
-are they big on smalls and short in the spine
or
-are they perhaps lacking in & under midfielders?

Their results for the first 2 rounds certainly make interesting reading..they have made a real impact on D2 already.
38 goals in 2 games -with nobody kicking any more than 4 in either generally indicates a fairly even workload and that their midfielders get a fair bit in the front half.

In your own esteeemed way -could you grace us with a review of their form last week -who did you see as their top 5?
Strengths and weaknesses?
ets etc

I know the Saints were really happy to kick away from SMD in the last stanza...
Even though the scoreboard indicated a comfortable win, the districts were hard at it right up to 3/4 time.
It seemed to me that SMD just couldn't convert general ground pressure to scoreboard pressure.They had a fair bit of the footy, just couldn't score.
I am sure the heroics of Hollow and a few others to pile on the HBGs and resultant goals in the last stanza was greatly appreciated by the visiting crowd.
I think GE are expecting to get a few back for next week's game , so it will be interesting if to see if they bring them thru the magoos or slot a few talls straight back in.
Anyway after next week there will be one lesss undefeated side in the comp ...

Sayna, its not that they won't be able to play a smaller ground its just that they will be more suited to the larger grounds as they are quick and move the ball very well. I think a little more physical pressure in more confined space will reduce some of that run as they wont be able to get as free. But as i said before and after SMS played them, they are flag fav for mine. Will be a cracker of a game out at GE thats for sure. J Mclean for them is one to watch along with Nalder but theres probably half a dozen i'm forgetting.

So theres some info Sayna, any players to watch from SMD or St Johns?

Guru Out!

Sayna, its not that they won't be able to play a smaller ground its just that they will be more suited to the larger grounds as they are quick and move the ball very well. I think a little more physical pressure in more confined space will reduce some of that run as they wont be able to get as free. But as i said before and after SMS played them, they are flag fav for mine. Will be a cracker of a game out at GE thats for sure. J Mclean for them is one to watch along with Nalder but theres probably half a dozen i'm forgetting.

Guru Out!
Guru, warning, do not rely on any info from Sayna. Anzac Day next week, not sure he is using the word "heroics" as it should be. Poor choice of words, denigrating the Anzac tradition..

Don't Discount St Johns as they might have lost the first two games but they are a quality team. They well coached and run the ball very well out of the back line with the likes of R Dyker (39) R Scott (10) these two would be the be in the top 5 players in any club then they have a young ruckman come C/F L O'Conner (55) then they have there big forward C Cachia (9) who leads up well is a strong over head mark . They always have numbers around the ball with one or two outlet players and sweepers that then run the ball up the ground , they like to run in numbers from their back line this generates a lot of goals for them.
Beware the JOC'S are coming

Guru Out!

Guru
Only saw part of each game but for the JOCS-in no particular order-
Dyker, 'The Greeks'-Costas and Phaedonas and last but by no means least Chalky were the stand outs.Despite the brave predictions of Majicman, I think they are a good rather than great team, although youthful enthusiasm is not to be dismissed lightly.

The 'Bloods 'were also fairly even but the main contributors were
Timmy's Boys -Elvis-(sorry elliot) Costello and Martin Costello,Suitor and Taylor.
They re a biggish team who work hard. Either short of a gallop or just not gelling yet -they really struggled to hit the scoreboard but the rest of their efforts were commendable and worthy of praise.They'll trouble a few sides at home.

Hope everyone enjoyed the week off. Looking forward to this week I know my team G.E are looking forward to getting back on home turf for the first time this year, and actually being able to train on a ground for the first time next week! Looking at the Reserve's does anyone know why Latrobe lost their points for round 1?

Hope everyone enjoyed the week off. Looking forward to this week I know my team G.E are looking forward to getting back on home turf for the first time this year, and actually being able to train on a ground for the first time next week! Looking at the Reserve's does anyone know why Latrobe lost their points for round 1?

Well GP thats cetainly news to the Guru, must have had an unregistered player i'm assuming but would love a someone from LT to shed some light particularly after belting Aquinas in that game.

To the tips (and yes still operating at 100% strike rate):

Aquinas v St J - St J will win this one comfortably. Aquanias to continue to struggle.

Elt v SM - Close game here but the home ground advantage to get Elt over the line by 10points

SMS v Stl - Should be a cracker at the postage stamp. The saints to run over them in the last. If it were at Stl i might have to tip them but its not. SMS 7 points

TP v OW - TP are a tough ask at home for anyone and will be too strong for OW. TP by 30

GE v Lat - match of the road for mine. Latrobe to stamp there authority on this division and run all over GE in the last and win by 30

You heard it here first

Guru Out!

Aquinas v St J - JOCs to get on the board . Aquinas continue to improve but not a big show out Doveton way.

Elt v SMD - If Ciavola plays well the Turtles will get home.The Bloods probably need a few more runners on the vast expanses of Turtle Park to make an impact.

SMS v ESL- The Animals have done nothing wrong so far .While I'm sure the Guru's boys will be keen to make amends for a shocker against the Students,the visitors... easily.

TP v OW - TP at home too good for most... and OW haven't set the world on fire so far.

GE v LU- 2 undefeatesd tribes to go at it. GE talls vs LU runners. On a smaller ground...if the weather's fine...The home team just.

St Johns - 29 points - Aquinas will struggle to even with the promoted team
Eltham - 8 points - predict a close on here but Eltham maybe to run over the top
St Leos - 35 points - expect a big scoring game!
Therry - 25 points - OW still not hitting there straps so go with the home team
Glen Eira - 43 points - will stamp themselves on the competition!

After this week we should get some good insight into who the pretenders and contenders are this year, some we already know,of course.

We have Therry this weekend, expecting another tough game. Can someone shed light on who has starred for them so far this year? Who to watch out for etc?

After this week we should get some good insight into who the pretenders and contenders are this year, some we already know,of course.

We have Therry this weekend, expecting another tough game. Can someone shed light on who has starred for them so far this year? Who to watch out for etc?

Did there captain from last year return after his lenghty suspension?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back